Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,563 total)
  • Election Campaign
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners – did you forget Sturgeons reverse argument?

She told the BBC’s Newsnight that “if [the Conservatives] can’t command a majority, they can’t be a government”.

Hmmm….

They are all talking bllx. Good job we are not in a bit of a pickle with ongoing economic challenges and a rapidly deteriorating geopolitical environment

jambalaya
    Free Member

Binners that’s my understanding, prior government / largest party gets first dibs on forming a government. This is where the SNP really hold labour back and let the Tories in.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

She told the BBC’s Newsnight that “if [the Conservatives] can’t command a majority, they can’t be a government”.

Commanding a majority and having a majority are two different things.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No really…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Binners – did you forget Sturgeons reverse argument?

Has Sturgeon stated that if the Tories can’t command a majority they would lack democratic legitimacy? If so where’s the quote because the one you have provided doesn’t say that?

In your quote Sturgeon is simply pointing out the obvious – that if they can’t command a majority then the Tories can’t form a government because the SNP will never work with them. In contrast she has repeatedly said that she will work with Labour should they fail to win a majority.

Northwind

binners – Member

Apparently a party with fewer MP’s than another party, but supported by another smaller party to make up a(n anti-Tory) majority, could not have any democratic legitimacy.

The public will fall more easily under the sway of a big lie than a small one, eh… And yep, especially disappointing to see Clegg’s position on this, though shouldn’t be surprising.

Basically it’s a steaming pile of obvious horseshit that they know works, because it already worked in the AV referendum.

The annoying thing is… Loads of labour people will want to work with it, Jim Murphy’ll be going “that’s what I’ve been saying all along!” frinstance.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Watch the actual interview – dear Nicola gets a little confused especially talking about minority governments at the same time. Talk about a bent narrative…

The ends justify the means…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

dear Nicola gets a little confused

As confused as David Cameron was this morning in Croydon when he couldn’t remember what football team he’s a big fan of?

To remind us that he’s just an ordinary geezer like your mates down the pub Cameron made a hilarious joke about supporting West Ham, unfortunately he had previously claimed to be a huge Aston Villa fan. A bit like that delicious pastie that he brought from an establishment that doesn’t exist.

General Election 2015: David Cameron forgets if he’s an Aston Villa or West Ham fan

“Reading from an autocue after the speech, Cameron said: “I had what Natalie Bennett described as a brain fade.

A Natlie Bennett moment while reading from a prepared speech/autocue now that’s impressive.

But anyway forget about the LibDems or who the SNP might help to form a government according to Cameron this morning, quote :

“It will be very difficult for us to form a government without Central Croydon”.

David Cameron says fate of country rests on voting for Gavin Barwell

So there you have it …….. forget Nick Clegg or Nicola Sturgeon, the people of Croydon will decide. Gawd bless’em.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No football fan forgets who they support. Your own kids birthdays will be forgotten first.
    IIRC he said he supported Villa because his dad knew the Chairman…he likes to keep it real does our Dave

“if [the Conservatives] can’t command a majority, they can’t be a government”.

Is that not just a statement of fact?
    If you cannot command a majority then you cannort get your legislative programme through
    Its completely different to saying you need to be first to form a govt.

Watch the actual interview

Debates really work better if you actually explain what you mean.

that’s my understanding, prior government / largest party gets first dibs on forming a government

Well thats [ potentially] two different things going first Both the largest party and the prior govt. 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes politicians shouldnt pretend they are interestd in Wendy or music. They get caught out. But slightly less embarrassing that subterfuge on how voting works. Still if you don’t understand how currencies or debt markets work, there is no real surprise if the rest is out of reach.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes politicians shouldnt pretend they are interestd in Wendy or music.

Well in the case of the present Tory leadership it’s quite vital to bullshit your common person’s credentials.

The irony is that the right-wing tory press have long tried to portray Ed Miliband as a bit weird looking and not your average sort of guy.

And yet if you walk into any Starbucks or Costas coffee shop in South West London you will find a multitude of middle-class office wallahs with which Ed Miliband would fit in perfectly.

It’s the Old Etonians/Bullingdon Boys who stand out and don’t fit in. Which is precisely why David Cameron has to go through the pretense of following Wendy, as you contemptuously call it, and come up with some cock and bull story about eating a pasty from a shop in Leeds station which had closed 5 years previously.

And why George Osborne has to work on his glottal stops as he regularly slips into mockney when making speeches.

Neither of them are Mr Average despite their repeated attempts to portray Ed Miliband as being out of touch with ordinary people.

Still if you don’t understand how currencies or debt markets work, there is no real surprise if the rest is out of reach.

So Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t understand how “voting works” ? Only someone clever like you with a degree in economics can understand such things?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t understand how “voting works” ? Only someone clever like you with a degree in economics can understand such things?

Sturgeon is clearly thick as pig shit – she only has a law degree from glasgow uni.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You are in a good mood aren’t you Ernie? I will avoid reposting your quite recent post on sarcasm!

Agreed politicians shouldn’t pretend to be what they are not. But this mega so-called RW press do seem to keep on about Eton etc!!! 😉

Actually, it’s very simple and nothing to do with economics. Odd to suggest otherwise, unless….

Go for a ride, sounds like you need some fresh air.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Agreed politicians shouldn’t pretend to be what they are not.

You’ve missed my point, I’m saying the opposite – in the case of the present Tory leadership it’s vital for them to bullshit their common person’s credentials, I think Cameron and and Osborne have been well advised, they just need to get their stories and accents right, you’re not agreeing with me.

Actually, it’s very simple and nothing to do with economics.

So why this comment then ?

“But slightly less embarrassing that subterfuge on how voting works. Still if you don’t understand how currencies or debt markets work, there is no real surprise if the rest is out of reach”.

Eh?

You are very clearly suggesting that how “voting works” is beyond the reach of someone who doesn’t “understand how currencies or debt markets work”.

BTW I’m always in a good mood when I’m responding to your posts. I’ve usually got a silly grin on my face. I’ve got one now actually 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Other than that Clegg is happy for the third party to be in government with the Conservatives and then Labour and then back with the Conservatives, if need be, and so on.

3rd party? In his dreams – they’ll be 4th (the SNP will be 3rd on seats and UKIP 3rd on votes by the looks of it).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I was referring to Clegg’s dreams epicsteve 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Personally I would not have used the word “silly” but if you say so, sounds highly appropriate given recent posts.

Sturgeon clearly knows what she is doing – that is the point. They misled people on economic matters and they do they same in political ones too. The ends justify the means….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So she wasn’t confused after all ?

What made you say this then : “dear Nicola gets a little confused” eh ?

MSP

CMD seems to have got quite confused though, even to the extent of mixing up which football team he supports. If I was a cynical type, I might suspect he doesn’t really support a team at all and it is just a “I’m just one of the lads” act.

Rockape63
    Free Member

To remind us that he’s just an ordinary geezer like your mates down the pub Cameron made a hilarious joke about supporting West Ham, unfortunately he had previously claimed to be a huge Aston Villa fan.

Maybe he just likes teams who play in Claret & Blue but doesn’t realise there are two!

MSP

Maybe he just likes teams who play in Claret & Blue but doesn’t realise there are two!

There are three current premiership teams with claret and blue kits 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well if I supported Aston Villa I would be tempted to develop memory loss

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I was a cynical type, I might suspect he doesn’t really support a team at all

No need to be cynical, Cameron has publicly stated that he doesn’t support a football team :

“Many of those who have spoken in the debate or have written about the subject are either lawyers or football fans, but I have to confess I am neither” – House of Commons 15 October 2001.

Of course that was before he declared himself to be an Aston Villa supporter.

Or was it West Ham ?

It all gets very confusing.

Northwind

MSP – Member

There are three current premiership teams with claret and blue kits

Rockape outs himself as a fake football fan

Klunk
    Free Member

what colour strip do marginal utd play in ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Claret and blue cheese would be more becoming

Rockape63
    Free Member

Rockape outs himself as a fake football fan

Well… To be fair Burnley are easily forgotten ! 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Stone the crows it might be real. Good read whatever your views.

mefty
    Free Member

I also heard that not being a football fan and supporting Aston Villa are not mutually exclusive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Labour rent controls and no 1 yr tenancies only 3.

So what happens when you get a foreign job posting for 12-24 months, you can’t rent your house out ? Or you get a job offer in another part of the country which doesn’t work out and you’re made redundant, you can’t get your house back ? Letting agents cannot charge fees before a tenancy commences ? So who pays for the credit checks – if it’s the landlord they will only accept tenets they are very confident will pass the check ? The landlord and agent are just going to pass these costs on in higher initial rents to cover costs and estimated increases in market rents.

Much like when Labour increased stamp duty but failed to close the obvious loophole that you can buy residential property in offshore companies and pay minimal taxes. A policy not thought through

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t read much of mefty’s link but I did get to this bit :

“Anyone who’s spent time with Dave will know how passionate he is about Villa.”

So it turns out that Cameron is even dafter than I first thought. Perhaps we can now expect him as he continues on the campaign trail, prepared speech and autocue ready, to urge his audience to vote Labour?

Assuming that he is equally “passionate” about the Tory Party of course.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Letting agents cannot charge fees before a tenancy commences

Already the law up here and it works out quite well. Was only ever charged once for a credit check and it was refunded anyway.

dazh

Been off-grid for 3 days and come back to see Miliband has finally tried to address the SNP problem. I think this is as close as he’ll get to rejecting any SNP support outright but it’s bit more than the previous no formal coalition statements. The tories, as with their personal attacks, are now over-egging the SNP issue I think to the point where they sound a bit desperate. Theresa May’s hysterical hyperbole is up there with Fallon’s and could possibly backfire in the same way.

Northwind

Boy’s an idiot. This is the electoral equivalent of threatening people by holding a knife to your own throat. Cameron must be pissing himself laughing. And right at the point where the Tories finally went off the deep end too.

So now what does he do, when he inevitably fails to get a majority? Goes back on his word? Fail to form a government (and blame the SNP)?

Or, just form a minority government and try and depend on the SNP without any actual agreement in place? (which is either not going to work, or end up being indistinguishable from having an agreement in place, to all of his critics)

Does create a rather bizarre situation where potentially neither main party can form a stable government, the Tories from a lack of allies and Labour because they won’t accept the rope they’ve been thrown.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“I am not doing deals with the Scottish National party”[/b]

It’s just as well that he and he alone decides what Labour Party policy is.

It really is staggeringly depressing that a once democratic party should have handed all power to one individual.

Every Labour voter outside Miliband’s constituency should be fully aware that they won’t be voting for their local candidate or the views which they claim to hold. They will be voting for one individual, not accountable to them, who treats them like voting fodder and their opinions with contempt.

Never has the Labour Party been less fit to govern imo.

And the sooner it is cast into the dustbin of history where it belongs the better.

scotroutes

This. He has nothing to lose at this election. LP policies are either in line with LibDem and SNP – and will thus get through – or with the Tories – and will thus get through. SNP policies that aren’t in line with the LP (e.g. Trident) will be used for the next Holyrood elections as an example of Scottish opinion being overwhelmed by that from England and will inevitably lead to a further independence referendum.

After that, the LP is on a rather more sticky wicket.

nick1962
    Free Member

Labour rent controls

Labour, the champions of those in social housing and now out to protect those in the private sector too.A delicious irony there!
    Hundreds of thousands of social housing tenants can confirm that their rent has been going up every year for the last 6 years by the rate of inflation plus an extra couple of % ,courtesy of a policy introduced by Gordon Brown.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The “Rent Control” policy, if introduced, will almost certainly prove to be a perfect example of the law of unintended consequences. All colours of government have used private rental properties to fill the gap in social housing stock created by the sale of council houses. We saw how poorly though out labours stamp duty increases where as so many high value sales where switched to company purchases, it took the Tories to plug that obvious loophole.

Rent controls and 3 year leases – I predict a massive boom in 3 month ultra short term “air b&b” style agreements plus a significant increase in rents as landlords price in their rent increases upfront. Landlords can sit and wait with empty properties, local authorities without housing stock cannot. Likewise the example I quoted regarding people with job offers abroad / outside their home area

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The “Rent Control” policy, if introduced, will almost certainly prove to be a perfect example of the law of unintended consequences.

As perfect as the unintended consequences of Tory housing policies, such as removing rent controls, selling off council housing, creating housing bubbles, and turning a housing crises into an even bigger housing crises? As perfect as that?

Or was it never the aim of the Tories to solve the housing crises and provide affordable homes?

In which case, hats off to the Tories…….they’ve been hugely successful.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If in doubt, INTERVENE….you know it makes sense

Ed is being perfectly sensible here as dear Nicola has made it clear that she will do everything in her power (the ends justify the means) to stop the Tories govern. So she cannot then vote down a potential minority labour gov and Ed know it. Good for him for putting her back in her rightful place. The poker match goes on.

Good job, none of this is serious….

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,563 total)

The topic ‘Election Campaign’ is closed to new replies.