• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Elderly father just prescribed anti-depressants, Anything I should look out for?
  • GJP
    Free Member

My elderly father (86 years) has been having a rough time recently.

A few weeks ago he needed emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction (thankfully a strangulated hernia), was discharged after a few days only to be re-admitted 24 hours later. All now seems well after another battery of tests but he is anxious and probably depressed.

His GP this morning prescribed him citalopram. Anybody any knowledge/experience of the use of SSRIs in the elderly?

binners

citalopram doesn't just treat the depression. It stops the panic/anxiety attacks as well. Bloody effectively too. If you take em on a small dose (10mg I presume) then there shouldn't be any side effects really

Made me a lot happier 😀

cinnamon_girl

I understand it is pretty common for ad's to be prescribed to the elderly. My father (aged 89) takes them although he has dementia and is in a nursing home.

To be completely honest, I would say it is impossible to tell whether they have made a difference. With dementia, mood is very up and down.

Sorry, not much help, but do hope your father makes a full recovery.

tails
    Free Member

I totally disagree, my father was prescribed them at the age of 64 for no real apparent reason just guess doctors do this, now at 65 he is in a care home. I'm convinced they have some blame on this as they are so dam strong.

I would prescribe keeping in touch with your dad more even if it is just a 5 min phone call at lunch. People make people happy.

badnewz
    Free Member

+1 for dosing him up on good social contact, talking about other things trying to get his mind off it change of scenery a day out in the car if poss

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Basic advice would be to read the info leaflet contained with the meds, this will take you through what the medicine is used for, when it shouldn't be used (contraindications), and side effects, from severe (usually rare) to common.

You'd also need to know what other meds your dad is on, as drug interactions are very common, and have been estimated to account for up to 10% of emergency attendances at hopsital. Don't forget any over the counter or herbal meds that may be taken.

cinnamon_girl

Agree – social contact is very important. But so many elderly don't have any or don't actually want any.

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks all. He will start on the smallest dose 10mg and the GP said just take 1/2 a tablet at first if he gets an upset stomach, so hopefully no adverse side effects.

Prozac made me highly anxious and agoraphobic so my own experiences with SSRIs is not a positive one.

Both my sisters live near him but I am over 200 miles away. I have been with him for the last few weeks but need to return to work if I am to keep my job

I am hoping that now he has been told it is anxiety by the GPs this will help, but I know from personal experience that anxiety feeds on anxiety.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Elderly father just prescribed anti-depressants, Anything I should look out for?’ is closed to new replies.