Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Elderflower champagne makers/ home-brewers?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m using a method with no added yeast, just what’s on the flowers.
    getting a it o scum forming on the top. not that surprising. should i just skim it off when i close up the bottlesat the carbonating/pressurising stage?
    any experience out there?

jimbobo
    Free Member

yeah, either skim it or just fill from the middle. if you want to avoid any sediment, pour through a filter of some sort before bottling. some use a coffee filter but i find this too slow and just use a tea towel.

bubs

I had forgotten about elderberry champagne. Adds to the to-do list.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Just don’t go on holiday when it’s brewing in the bottles ………. BANG!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If it’s anything like beer the krausen (foamy stuff on top, mostly the most active yeast cells) will sink when it’s finished fermenting and no longer producing the CO2 to keep it afloat.

Then depending on your syphon/tap you want to avoid disturbing the gunk on the top/bottom of the wine as far as practical, it’s usually pretty nasty tasting and will rot/autolyse in the bottles.

I use an easy-syphon which has a U-bend at the bottom, so push that right down then it draws liquid down from above the yeast cake.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks everyone.
    i guess i’ll syphon it into clean bottles then when ready for pressurising and try to leave the guff behind

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Elderflower champagne makers/ home-brewers?’ is closed to new replies.