Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Elbow – worst band ever?
  • funkmasterp

tenfoot – Member
    The Smiths. The 2nd-most overrated load of crap ever after James Brown.

I’m with you all the way on Morrisey and The Smiths, but James Brown, really? The man pretty much brought Funk and the use of African rhythm to mainstream western music. Plus he’s partly responsible for Bootsy Collins pushing his bass playing. Crazy man, I’ll give you that. Then again the best always are.

Partly why I love discussing music, it’s such a divisive subject. 🙂

Oh and James Brown wasn’t a band either 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Oh and James Brown wasn’t a band either

He’d make Elbow more interesting tho. 😉

scaredypants

I’m not a huge fan of The Fall, but they’re kind of beyond good and evil aren’t they?

nah, that’s The Pop Group

😉

fatmax

I love Elbow, and seeing them live for the first time next year, but I did think the new single sounded particularly dull. Hey ho. Think they’ll be great live.

tenfoot

The Smiths. The 2nd-most overrated load of crap ever after James Brown.
    What? How can you fail to like lyrics such as:-
    “So I broke into the Palace
    With a sponge and a rusty hammer….
    Spanner, not hammer.

Senior moment 😳

keithd
    Free Member

Pet Shop Boys? Every song exactly the same with no saving grace at all

DavidB
    Free Member

Gallhammer

CountZero

He’s got no range in his voice whatsoever!

Cloth-eared muppet! You do listen to music, I take it?
    ‘Cos claiming that Guy has no range shows a remarkable display of ignorance about the human voice.
    Leonard Cohen has little vocal range, but is no less a singer for that; Guy, while no operatic singer, has a far greater range, both technically and emotionally, than Chris Martin, whose high-pitched whine had got pretty old before their second album was even recorded.
    Worst band? Manics, for turning out songs full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Third-rate, student union posturing posing as meaningful intellectualism, sung by a vocalist who thinks that shouting louder and making your voice raspy means you’re showing real emotion.
    Bollocks.
    There are plenty of bands already mentioned who are far, far worse than Elbow, like Athlete, Sterophonics, Toploader, Charlatans, (now there’s an embarrassingly appropriate name if ever there was one!)
    Oh, I have to add 65daysofstatic. In forty-five years of gig-going, the only band I’ve ever walked out on. Just a featureless drone with no redeeming merit whatsoever.
    Good thing the support, Asobi Seksu, were really good, because it was them I’d bought a ticket to see, before they got shoved into supporting 65days…

DezB
    Free Member

And… order has been restored 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Bringing some logic into the proceedings – the “worst band ever” won’t have been heard by many people and certainly wouldn’t make fame to the level of any of the bands mentioned on here (Though how the Lighthouse Family got anywhere only the lord knows).

donks
    Free Member

I like elbow…. Not massively but they’re OK and I quite like the drums tbh.
    Same as muse really… Big sound good drumming what’s not to like?

There’s shit loads much worse than this ffs.
    At least these guys play instruments and write their own songs. Not enough of this in modern music for my liking.

DezB
    Free Member

these guys play instruments and write their own songs. Not enough of this in modern music

I can assure you that there is a hell of a lot of that in “modern music”. There’s just a hell of a lot of other stuff as well. Thank ****.

MartynS

Quite like elbow…

The smiths and The verve now that’s dull, dull music….

IHN

For all the Smiths haters:

jamj1974

scud – Member
    Not a fan on Elbows music, but got to see them at Wembley a few years ago

Supporting U2?

jamj1974

DezB – Member
    Though how the Lighthouse Family got anywhere only the lord knows

I believe they were ‘lifted’…

crossland
    Free Member

Worst band for for me Velvet Revolver, all the bad points of guns and roses with none of the talent, elbow one of best live bands I have seen, no pretension, which was nice

Worst band for for me Velvet Revolver, all the bad points of guns and roses with none of the talent, elbow one of best live bands I have seen, no pretension, which was nice

You precede your love for Elbow, by claiming that Slash is talentless?

brooess
    Free Member

Elbow sound a lot like that other well-known band from Bury: Arse.

I never knew anyone who could tell one from the other

tenfoot

I can’t decide who between U2 and Coldplay is the worst, but U2 have the edge.

Caher

Level 42 – must have nearly wiped out the yoof in the 80s through sleeping at the wheel.

jamj1974

CountZero – Member
    There are plenty of bands already mentioned who are far, far worse than Elbow… …Charlatans, (now there’s an embarrassingly appropriate name if ever there was one!)

Come the revolution – I have a wall and will find the bullets 😉

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST SHARE

So close to hitting ‘REPORT-POST’

kerley
    Free Member

Great to see all my favourite bands listed;

Radiohead
    The Smiths
    The Fall

Guess I just don’t like outwardly upbeat music….

Don’t mind Elbow, Mumford and Sons etc,. but they are not in my favourites list.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The smiths…

How is This Charming Man dull? Granted Morrisey can be grating, but Johnny Marr’s work is nothing short of marvellous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Elbow in my humble opinion are brilliant, songs that can make you feel – laugh, smile and cry.
    Radiohead are probably one of the most diverse bands of our times and truly amazing live.

As for the Smiths and Morrisey some genius song writing in there

andykirk
    Free Member

Someone said James Brown was overrated!!!! OMG as they say!

I watched a documentary on Mr Brown recently…. and you can see how Michael Jackson, Prince etc are all just reincarnations of James Brown. I realise music tastes are subjective but I really do have to disagree with that one. I mean… just listen to this….

As for The Smiths it was always the fans that put me off them…. I don’t particularly like them but I can recognise how good they were. The best lyrics mean nothing…. and that is not an easy thing to do. Sean Ryder managed it too, he is a genius.

The winner, by a mile, is Nickleback.

deadkenny
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/lJNYxpEAh68[/video]

CountZero

I really can’t help thinking that saying Elbow are the ‘worst band ever’ is some people showing they have the emotional and intellectual development of your average eight year-old! It’s basically ‘nya nya nya, I don’t like them, so you’re an idiot if you do’.
    Maybe not the actual worst band in the world, but often cited, even by one ex-member, Menswe@r have to be pretty close to the top of the list.

DrJ

Don’t really know Elbow but people mentioning them in the same sentence as Radiohead, Coldplay and Mumford & Sons leads me to think they’re going to be dire* search for them on Spotify.

FTFY

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think Elbow are anywhere in the scale of best or worst. They just languish in the middle of inoffensive, “that’s a nice song”, middle of the road, who gives a tossness.
    Unsure why you’d give a shit about what other people think really.

anagallis_arvensis

Its got to be Oasis surely?

deadkenny
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member 

Agreed. Overrated Beatles / John Lennon tribute band.

mt
    Free Member

Bucks Fizz have been a let down after their Eurovision triumph.

CountZero

Quite why anyone would say Elbow, Coldplay, etc are the worst bands in the world when this actually exists, and got played on the radio…
    [video]https://youtu.be/VKmG6zkADW8[/video]

Northwind

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Oasis get credit from me for getting me into Muse- we watched about the first 5 minutes of their headlining set at Reading and went, no seriously, **** this, let’s go and watch something else. Anything else.

But Aquiesce is good. Oh hell, Don’t Look Back In Anger too. I may even have to accept that Some Might Say is alright

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I really can’t help thinking that saying Elbow are the ‘worst band ever’ is some people showing they have the emotional and intellectual development of your average eight year-old! It’s basically ‘nya nya nya, I don’t like them, so you’re an idiot if you do’.

Fair enough.

Maybe not the actual worst band in the world, but often cited, even by one ex-member, Menswe@r have to be pretty close to the top of the list.

Wait… Hang on…

Bucks Fizz have been a let down after their Eurovision triumph.

Tears 😆

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I like The Fall, some might say that they are crap, but it’s all subjective, isn’t it?
    But yes, Elbow are probably the worst band in the world that wants to be taken seriously.

CountZero

I don’t think Elbow are anywhere in the scale of best or worst. They just languish in the middle of inoffensive, “that’s a nice song”, middle of the road, who gives a tossness.

But yes, Elbow are probably the worst band in the world that wants to be taken seriously.

If only you knew just how smug, condescending and patronising you come across as.

DezB
    Free Member

intellectual development of your average eight year-old! It’s basically ‘nya nya nya, I don’t like them, so you’re an idiot if you do’.

The difference being, I state an opinion about the band – you criticise posters for having an opinion. hmm. You’re obviously a much better person.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Elbow – worst band ever?’ is closed to new replies.