Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • elbow pads – out or in, some help please!
  • thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

‘ello singletrack massive i’m in need of advice,

recently i’ve started doing more serious riding involving lots of time spent in the peaks, wales (and soon scotland). Now rocks are sharp, and i’m getting pads for my knees.. and while i’m at it some elbow ones too seeing as the first ride out i left a sizable gash. My problem is this – do they go inside or outside the (almost necessary!) jacket.. i’ve ordered two pairs of crc, one is awesome when wearing a jersey/gillet combo (i reckon that’ll be just fine with a baselayer too). but cant fit outside the jacket, the other one fits nicely outside the jacket but sucks otherwise (it’s a cheap brand x – causes a bunch of rubbing).

Is the obvious answer to keep both? But what about taking off/putting on a jacket mid ride after realising it’s better/worse than you thought.. (for reference the first pair fit quite happily inside the jacket – i just dont fancy shredding a jacket every time i crash.. but then i never worried about that before..)

sigh.

thanks for those that read the above and reply below – i’m sure theres a simple answer, enlighten me!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I prefer inside if the clothing will allow. Preferably against the skin as they can slip down if over clothes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Up to you. Fashion sheep will say inside, those who don’t want jackets getting ripped due to stupid falls will say outside.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

hmmmm.. any other thoughts oh great stw’ers?

Northwind

Mine go inside, I don’t like the feeling of things strapped over a waterproof, clingier and sweatier. But yes even with a tough waterproof you’re more likely to rip it, and a lot of waterproofs are not tough at all.

vikingboy
    Free Member

jacket? whats one of them!? MTFU

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

661 Subgear ?

fourbanger
    Free Member

This for DH right?

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

is true northwind, but then before getting pads i’ve never worried about ripping my jacket..

and fourbanger – dh yes (&.. ahem.. enduro), but self supported (so ride there first, no uplift etc)

vikingboy – haha, yes! at least thats what warm inside me says, 5 hour winter ride me might disagree.

fourbanger
    Free Member

If it DH you probably don’t have a beard and still care about your image. Inside.

chiefgrooveguru

I just got some elbow pads and assumed you wear them next to the skin to minimise the chance of them moving when you crash?

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

i do have a beard and i occasionally ride in sandals 😉 dont judge!

my concern is practical not aesthetics – in the end i settled on chiefgrooveguru’s final words, the pads dont slip when they’re next to my skin, so the others are going back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘elbow pads – out or in, some help please!’ is closed to new replies.