Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • El Guapo or Cove Hustler? Both £799 new
  • funklenut
    Free Member

Looking to get one of the above as CRC have the Hustler reduced to £799. I’ve currently got a Bullit, which has served me well since new in 04. It’s just getting a bit much for the stuff I’m riding like the Peaks and occasional forays to trail centres in Wales and Scotland. Any thoughts, suggestions?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Hustler is an awesome frame. Had mine for years now and it has served me very well from XC to DH.

The El Guapo with a Cane Creek DB Air seems incredible value.

Personally, I’d give the El Guapo the nod. It’s got ISCG tabs, a tapered headtube and a 30.9mm seatpost so is certainly more ‘future proof’. Touch weighty to at 7lb but then the Hustler’s no light weight either. The DB shock is – probably – the best air shock.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m shocked there’s not the usual ‘get a Mega instead’ or ‘you need an Orange 5’ responses.

Although, the Mega’s only £649 at the moment.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Owned a Hustler and it’s a huge giggle, but would probably be swayed by mk1fan’s argument.

funklenut
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I’m still torn. How is the CCDB to setup? I’ve replaced the 5th on my Bullit with an RP23 and it’s a breeze to dial-in, the DB looks more fiddly like the 5th was.

NP Mega also an option. Nice to have a fair bit of choice for that price. I’ve always fancied a Hustler, but I think my forks (55s) would be too long for it, so I’d end up spending more and I guess mk1 is right it’s compatible with more droppers and chain devices.

neilforrow

I had a hustler for a while. One of the best bikes I have owned. A real all rounder. The merlin deal is very good value…

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

For me it would be the El Guapo – got two mates who own them & they’re very happy with them (older models so no CCDB air).

I also have a mate who’s got the CCDB air on his Knolly – it’s early days, but he’s pleased with the performance.

What would put me off the Hustler is warranty experience – a mate of mine used to have one – first frame cracked, which they agreed to warranty. Second one went & they refused (even though it was within the original warranty term) – wouldn’t even offer him a trade cost replacement.

BTW I own a NP Mega, but the CCDB would sway me towards the El Guapo if I was shopping today.

emanuel
    Free Member

Got a hustler,it’s great.had it for 4 years.
    But mk1 is right.

jonnyrockymountain

Merlin cycles
    Cove hustler full bike about £1350
    Sell all bits and the frame will be cheaper than £700

alexonabike

Ive gone from a hustler to mega. I wouldn’t say ive got regrets, but the hustler was all the bike i needed. Peak to Alps. Sorted. Get the hustler.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Cove hustlers are great fun, scary fast and can take a real beating

mtbgus
    Free Member

Just seen the thread, I’ve owned a Cove Hustler for 6 years now, believe me when I say it’s the best all rounder money can buy (my own thought), still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. Loathed to swap it for any other Full sus as it’s been flawless in every terrain I’ve ridden.

————————
    North Wales mtbing: http://www.mtbgus.com

mk1fan
    Free Member

If the Hustler had ISCG tabs, a 30.9 seat post size and a tapered head tube it would be perfect.

peterfile
    Free Member

Merlin cycles

Linky please? I can’t seem to find it?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

PF Ditto I think that is a typo as the frame only is over £1700 on the Merlin site?

Steelsreal

crc not merlin

Steelsreal

and only 799 for a 15.5″ matt black one, all the others are £989.99

AlexSimon

Merlin cycles

It’s there (1500 minus 10%), but says OOS.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/mountain-bikes/merlin-bikes/cove-hustler-xc-bike-white-175.html

Stevelol
    Free Member

The El Guapo is a bargain with the CCDB, yes it might be harder to set up than your average shock, but the popularity of this frame/shock combo combined with Cane Creek’s new setup database will mean it’ll be very easy to get information on tweaking, I assume that the shock will come with a decent base setting anyway (but I don’t know this for definite). I used to have a CCDB coil on my Transition Covert and once set up I never needed to touch it.

peterfile
    Free Member

I found the coil CCCB on my Cove Shocker to be a nightmare to set up until I actually read the instructions (CC were very helpful by email too).

You just need to make very small increments (much smaller than on a DHX for example) until you get it dialled, I was adjusting things all over the place.

The other trick for me was to pick a bit of trail with varied terrain (rocks, roots, drops, undulating etc) and keep hammering it until I got the right settings.

Then I made a note of them and that was my “general settings”. As I rode at different types of places (e.g. full on DH v slower singletrack) I recorded different and more suitable settings.

Once I had a few settigns, all I did when I turned up somewhere was quickly adjust the shock to the most suitable tune (took about 30 seconds max).

A lot of effort went in to getting it right, but the benefits of a “custom” tune for each type of riding was great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘El Guapo or Cove Hustler? Both £799 new’ is closed to new replies.