Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • El Cheapo Ridley build …… for ackie.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Bought one of those bargain basement Ridleys from CRC to replace my loyal serving Ti road bike. That quality that so many love in Ti just feels like a dead ride to me. And cheap carbon, been there, stupidly flexy. It’s also the first build based on a bike fit. Certainly bigger than anything I’ve ever had. Felt very nice, allowed straighter arms and legs and much better when out of the saddle.
    £350 plus old parts. First impressions better than my Ti and SL Pro. Nice training bike.
    For ackie

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So you got a bike that fits you? 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

So you got a bike that fits you?

Yeah 😕
    Always ridden small bikes, mainly on the say so of others. In particular compacts. Then I’ve added long stems long posts.
    Had a fit and caused lots of head scratching. I’m 5’8″ and somehow measure up bigger than someone 5’10”
    Went up a size on a MTB earlier this year and it was a revalation, so nice I even used it for road rides and sportives.
    My cross bike is weird low but long, but I was changing that after the season anyway.
    I need to test a road race bike next and perhaps move to standard geometry.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stretched out is good, nice for your core too.

I have a Ribble R872, race geo – so comfortable now for me. I got fitted by a chap at work – he has a very good CV in such things 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes it felt nice. The higher end on the bigger frame allows a nice bar position without going mad with spacers. I had pretty bad headwinds today and I felt pretty efficient riding into them.

Cue Giant Propel road test.

ackie
    Free Member

Thanks oldgit. When I saw this post it made me all warm and fuzzy inside 😉
    I was thinking of going for the Yellow as I think it looks a bit different, but it needs a 30.6mm seatpost right?
    Unfortunately I have a nice 31.6mm FSA carbon post waiting for a new frame…

How do you find the frame itself of a good quality?

What size did you go for? At 6’1″ I’m thinking the 54cm (21.25″) as it’s got a 57cm top tube.

Again thanks for posting the pics.

karnali
    Free Member

oldgit are you selling etierh the ti or sl pro frames may be ideal for wife’s new frame??

oldgit
    Free Member

I went for a 54 and I’m only 5’8″. Top tube is nearer 56 (effective) I used a USE shim and basic Deda post
    I also use a 120 stem.
    I am odd or so the fit seems, I caused a bit of head scratching as I seem to come out with a fit nearer to that of someone 5’10” However when I sold my old Ti bike that was smaller than this Ridley, the buyer was 5’10” and I had to drop the post, flip and raise the stem.

But the bike. Good. Nice climber, good sprinter, seems effective. And not at all harsh.

ackie
    Free Member

Hmm. Is the 54 is the medium then (175mm Headtube)?
    Because I was thinking that would be good me at 6’1″ with a 120cm stem.
    But now your making me reconsider….

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes 54 is medium. Effective top tube 56.5cm/22 1/4″
    In that picture it’s running a 120mm stem.
    Saddle top to pedal axle is 89cm/35 inches with 170mm crank arms

oldgit
    Free Member

oldgit are you selling etierh the ti or sl pro frames may be ideal for wife’s new frame??

Both went. need to sub a new cross bike and possible road frame.

oldgit
    Free Member

Better sizes in the 2012 SLT and it takes a 31.6 post

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘El Cheapo Ridley build …… for ackie.’ is closed to new replies.