Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ejecting sticky pistons…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Any tips for ejecting a set of pistons on old hope m4’s without hydraulic fluid?

Any future in something like a track pump on the bleed nipple?

Don’t have a compressor but could rig a bottle rocket…

andyl
    Free Member

I used a track pump on bleed nipples on my car calipers.

Be very careful as they can fly out a lot faster than you think. I would suggest wrapping an old towel around them.

falkirk-mark

For safetys sake use the proper fluid as air will build up a pressure that will shoot the piston out whereas hydraulic fluid does not compress and will only move as much as required. clamp one piston in and free off the other a bit then swap about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Often use a track pump but put the caliper in a bag to stop getting sprayed with fluid

vincienup
    Free Member

Ok, just been trying track pump… One out three to go.

Better ways of attaching track pump to bleed nipple?

Northwind

andyl – Member

Be very careful as they can fly out a lot faster than you think.

Working on the motorbike, I fired a piston (about 50mm across, none of your namby pamby pushbike things) about 6 inches into the ground. Another time, a mate came over to sort his brakes and he fired one completely over next door’s house, and possibly knocked down a passing plane.

So yeah, careful.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Best bet is a grease gun – find a nipple (oh-er|) with the correct threads, connect grease gun and pump – out comes piston with no nasty explosive surprises. Has worked a treat on various seized caliper pistons in the past.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ejecting sticky pistons…’ is closed to new replies.