• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by adt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eiger Bike Challenge
  • didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Anybody done the Eiger bike challenge in Grindelwald?

NZCol

Not the race itself no as I was a week late but I did ride the course – . Its brutal, be prepared for lots of hard out climbing, the climb to Grosse Sheidegg is quite long and hard then its all pretty much up and down until that evil little clmb to Bort. Then you get the job of losing all your height, and i mean ALL your height before the stunning climb to Kleine Scheidegg. That is one long climb. Awesome place, great riding and a great race apparently. Quite honestly the 55k/2500m option is probably more than enough 🙂

When i was there w/b 20th August there was also another multi-day race that they were allowed to use the tramping and walking tracks – some of which i followed them down and were lush.

adt
    Free Member

I am doing it next year and the Grand Raid the week after

mrmo
    Free Member

adt may i say nutter.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Unless you like your biking high on the endurance factor and low on the technical factor I wouldn’t bother. Grindlewald and the Jungfrau regions tourism policy on biking is that mountain bikers are allowed to use fire roads and almost nothing else! They do open up a couple of sections of trails to be used for the Eiger Bike Challenge but it wouldn’t be enough to interest me for sure.

If you are looking for an event you won’t forget at around the same time of year try the Grisha TrailRIDE. It’s in the Graubunden area of Switzerland and the competition format is a mix of navigation and riding as much technical singletrail as you can in 6 hours. It’s a three day event and in those three days you’ll ride more singletrack then you know what to do with!

This is the official website in German:
    http://grischatrail.alpen-challenge.ch/

and this is my blog post from last years event:
    http://swissalpineadventure.blogspot.com/2010/08/grisha-trailride.html

adt
    Free Member

How you doing mrmo ?any plans for next year

mrmo
    Free Member

i’m fine, The plan is to go have a go at the Cristalp, but two minor issues, being temporarily without work should help sort my first issue, fitness, and if i can get a job that should sort the second one, getting enough money to enter the Cristalp again.

Beyond that, money and time will determine what i can and can’t do.

adt
    Free Member

I will hopefully see you on the coach back to Verbier then 😀

BigR

ir12daveor – the Grisha trailride looks interesting. The website is only in German (thank goodness for babel fish). Do you return to the same spot each day and is it easy to enter/book accomodation?

bobyedda
    Free Member

Yep. Twice, best race (other than 3 peaks cyclocross) I’ve ever done- brilliant. Do the long race, the scenary is amazing.
    Its hard work though, alot of climbing, some technical sections but more about fitness. Defo hard tail race.

Going this year to give it another go too. Good excuse to be in Grindelwald and around the Eiger.
    See you there.

Bob

ir12daveor
    Free Member

The Grisha is three days point to point. You start in one resort finish in another then overnight there. You’re bags are moved for you during the day so you just rock up to the finish, grab your bag at the hotel reception and go to your room.

With teams of 2-5 its got a good social vibe to it and its the trails that are the most important from a competition point of view.

Entry is not too easy. I think it opens on January 3rd but all teams who have been there last year get invited back. We have priority on places until the start of January then anyone who mails for a place will get the remaining places. It’s worth trying to get a place it’s a fun event.

For accommodation once you have a place in the event you get a list of hotels that offer a special deal for participants. It’s quite easy to get accommodation.

adt
    Free Member

whats the set up like then for the Eiger Challenge ? it looks like it finishes in Ziel can you ride back to the start from there ?also is there camping provided,cheers Ady

NZCol

All based within guffing distance of Grindelwald so you can get to/from start/finish easily. There is a campsite down in the valley floor just near the train stn for the train up to Kleine Scheidegg. We stayed with the mayor – they have a rental flat aprtment thingy and he was really really nice , if anyone wants the info i can pass it on.

What ir12 said above ^^^ is true. Biking is not really permitted on hiking trails and in mid-summer i would not even do it cheekily. I of course did sneak down (quite) a few but all the bike trails are 4wd/gravel/narrow tarseal so not a tech-fest.Great spot though and LOVELY beer !

ash

it looks like it finishes in Ziel

“Ziel” means “Finish” in German

adt
    Free Member

haha thanks for pointing that out ,cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eiger Bike Challenge’ is closed to new replies.