Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ehhhhhhhhh.. need help with singlespeed chain setup!
  • jeb

Hello

So if i run a old 9 speed crankset, i have, which rear sprocket should i run?, can i just pick a random one, and important, which chain?

i will probaly buy the parts from here:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?page=2;content=7;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,83;mid=0;pgc=0;orderby=2

Thanxxx!

righog
    Free Member

Not sure what to say 😕

but this might help you ?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M9lvl8LM8[/video]

jeb

Thanks for the video, but i was wondering, about the chain, i know there are 8/9 speed chains, 3/32, etc, but i dont know the difference?

Karl33to
    Free Member

MOST rear sprockets will work with any chain. There are a few that are specific to the BMX width chains but they will usually say so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A 1/8 chain will drop less, if that might be an issue but won’t work with a tensioner.

jeb

What seperates a 1/8 chain from the otter chains?

I do infact have a 9 speed chain lying around could i just use that?

breadcrumb

I use cheap 8 speed chains on my MTB SS. Never dropped the chain.

I’d recommend the Shimano DX sprockets, cheap and hard wearing. Although I use a On-One Groove Amarda rear sprocket now, had a nice wide base.

What’s your freehub body made from? You need a wide base on aluminium ones.

jeb

Thanx for the replies!

-the frehub is a wide alu, so no prob there 🙂

BigJohn

No. He means you will need a wide based sprocket if you don’t want to chew up your alu freehub.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What seperates a 1/8 chain from the otter chains?

Size, It relates to width, 1/8″ and 3/32″ are the singlespeed/bmx sizes. These are wider than your 9 speed chain. Wider ones are generally stronger but heavier unless you go for something posh like KMC’s Light.

Your nine speed will be fine though,

Sprokets:

Wider base: (slightly more expensive but less likely to damage your freehub)

Thin: (These easily dig into freehubs, esp hope)

I have had problems getting 9 speed chains to work on the 1/8″ cogs but I do know of people who haven’t so i’d probally to play safe go for a 3/32″ cog.

Look for one to match your front ring, 32t up front and 16t at the back is a good start for 26″ wheels, 32-18 for 29er.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ehhhhhhhhh.. need help with singlespeed chain setup!’ is closed to new replies.