Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Eggbeaters
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Sorry I’m a complete newb and have herad this expression mentioned alot. I realise they are a special form of pedal but can someone please give me the lowdown on them. Advantages/dis advantages etc. If I fall off when using them will I still be attached to the bike etc etc. Sorry for being a knob

pixelmix
    Free Member

Link here.

As you say, they are just a type of pedal. The “Eggbeater” is also available in other designs which have a platform around what is the basic Eggbeater.

In my experience of Crank Bros pedals, your feet generally come unclipped themselves in proper crashes – you unclip from this style of pedal by twisting your feet to the side slightly.

Advantages are ease of use, “float” (so your foot can move around a bit whilst still clipped to the pedal, so your knees can get comfy, which is not possible on some other pedal designs), good mud shedding ability, and light weight.

Main disadvantage is reliability, although you will hear conflicting views on that. My Crank Bros pedals have been no more reliable or unreliable than any other bit on my bike. The new 2011 range is supposed to be more reliable.

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx Pixelmix- it was the staying attached to the bike if I crashed that alarmed me a bit. Presume Bunnyhopping w/be a doddle with these on then?

If I fall off when using them will I still be attached to the bike etc etc.

This is probably the most common fear with any type of clipless pedal.
    I don’t keep exact records, but I reckon my last crash caused by failing to unclip was over 10 000km of egg beater riding ago.
    As for other crashes, and there have been many, I have never remained attached to the bike after hitting the ground.

Whatever other faults egg beaters have got, clipping in or out when, and only when, you want to is definitely one of their best features.

I replace my cleats when they wear and clip out too easily.
    If you can blag some second hand worn out cleats it may give you more confidence to try the pedals out if getting trapped in them is your worry.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d ignore that last bit, IMO worn cleats will release exactly when you don’t want them too, and not be any help at all when you do, I nearly had a big crash on Saturday because my foot suddenly came out of the pedal unexpectedly.

pixelmix
    Free Member

With good cleats you’ll be able to pull the back end up easily. Doesn’t encourage good technique, but it is useful!

Don’t worry too much about the worn cleat comments. They do last a reasonable length of time before getting too worn.

Do a few easy rides to get used to having to think about unclipping- it soon becomes second nature. The only accidents caused by not being able to unclip will be slow speed embarrassing rather than sore incidents.

njee, I know what you mean, that’s why I replace them when they’re worn.
    I was just thinking it might be worth a try for an absolute beginner’s first ride on clipless.
    It would also depend on exactly which pedals.
    Unexpectedly unclipping from an egg beater in hard soled shoes can be a bit of a disaster.
    I would imagine it’s not so serious with soft soled shoes on Candies or Mallets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeaters’ is closed to new replies.