Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Effective turbo trainer use, a few questions?
  • wool

Ok I know there are few very fit people on here so….50 mins with two sets 10 mins 20 seconds on 20 seconds off is that going to do anything or am just messing about?

shortyj15

What you trying to gain?

wool

Speed for CX and be a bit more structured rather than riding a few times week.

lunge

I don’t think you’re far off but you may be doing a few too many reps per set. If you can sustain it then brilliant but with short rest periods I reckon you’ll be slowing down by the 5th rep.
    I tend to do 30 secs on, 30 off, 6 reps, rest for 4 mins, repeat as you wish.

Watch a couple of the GCN vids on YouTube, the 20 and 30 min sessions are very good.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Second the GCN sessions.

wool

Legs feel bombed after tonights first go hope they are good for the weekend..Was struggling to maintain watts towards the end.

julzm
    Free Member

Have a look at trainer road. It has plans for specific goals.

andyfla
    Free Member

Sufferfest

ferrals
    Free Member

Trainerroad cyclocross plan is good

shortyj15

Pyramid interval

10 minute warm up
    10 on 60 off
    20 on 60 off
    30 on 60 off
    40 on 60 off
    50 on 60 off
    60 on 60 off
    60 on 60 off
    50 on 60 off
    40 on 60 off
    30 on 60 off
    20 on 60 off
    10 on 60 off

10 minute cool down

wool

Pyramid intervals sound brutal!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Was struggling to maintain watts towards the end.

This implies you’ve already got a PowerMeter of some description?

In which case I’d suggest something like TrainerRoad and a progression of intervals more than just on / off.

wool

My second hand turbo shows watts on it presume I was lucky when i got it? Need to plug the thing in or the resistance won’t work. Ill have a look at trainer road

shortyj15

They aren’t meant to be fun! Just one set at a time will do you right

mogrim

Doesn’t sound that bad, but you’ll need to vary it a bit if only to stave off boredom!

Another way to do pyramid intervals is 1:30on/1:30off – 1:15on/1:15off etc down to 15″, then repeat.

But the main thing is to mix it up a bit, otherwise it gets very dull very quickly!

vdubber67
    Free Member

OP – that’s a really useful session for preparing you for the on-off-on nature of CX racing. I do the same but 15/15. I wouldn’t worry about the wattage etc, or whether your dying at the end, just keep pushing it. I’d probably try and do three sets in the hour.

EDIT – I wouldn’t be doing this session on a Thurs though if you’re racing Sat/Sun. Weds if you’re racing Sat 🙂

pnik

Hi, slight hijack, a couple of you mentioned GCN youtube, which i really like too, but I’ve started getting adverts interrupting the session, flippin freddy flintoff and jacamo in the middle of an interval session, without a skip, assuming i could reach the screen.

Anybody else had this, its making their sessions unusable, last night 2 adverts in the first 15 minutes, i gave up shortly afterwards.

legend
    Free Member

Yeah I had one the other day, luckily it was in between sprints. Think I was able to skip iirc, still properly annoying though

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Effective turbo trainer use, a few questions?’ is closed to new replies.