Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Effective Top Tube / Stem Combo – What is your ideal for general trail riding?
  • devash
    Free Member

As a follow-on conversation post-group ride in the pub last night, I’m interested in what combo Singletrackers are currently running / preferring.

The general ‘wisdom’ seems to be that people are moving away from small frame / long stem to longer frame / shorter stem for trail center stuff but I’m really surprised how many XC pootlers are running 50mm stems and wide bars.

ahwiles
    Free Member

top tube?

it’s all about ‘reach’ now, Grandad.

for me, 460mm reach + 35mm stem seems to work well for general XXXc trail mincing.

(i’m 6’1″ish, but wit a short torso)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Main bike currently has a 24″ top tube and I’ve just changed from a 50mm to a 40mm stem. Feels good, I can move my weight around the bike a little bit easier and the change to steering feel is great. I do wonder what the downside is as I look at the frames designed to run 35mm stems and in my size the top tubes are 25″+.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

29’er FS XC bike has a flipped 90mm stem & 720mm wide bars.

29’er HT XC bike has a flipped 90mm stem and 700mm wide bars.

29’er rigid steel has 80mm stem and 730mm wide bars.

All with around a 600mm horizontal top tube too, they’ve all got layback posts on them as well

I’m 5’11” btw

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

620mm top tube, 120mm stem, 680mm bars.

Fashion be damned.

6ft and “enduro specific BMI”.

philwarren11
    Free Member

6ft 1.

150mm stump evo
    45mm stem
    780mm bars
    617mm effective top tube
    442mm reach.

Feels spot on for me and for what i enjoy.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not massively into measurements but I’m 5’10”, ride 16-17″ bikes with 22.5″ top tube and ~90mm stems (currently a small Alpine 160). On 710mm bars but finding myself right on the ends so might go wider.

I grew up riding when 120-130mm stems were the norm and the Raceface DH stem I once bought was 85mm, so anything less than ~90mm feels twitchy to me, fashion and theory be damned. I dont change stem length for riding type either, same set up whether chilterns or alps.

brant
    Free Member

Reach is often claimed to be the be-all-end-all dimension to help sizing, but staring at it too hard can be the wrong thing to do:-

For example:-
    1) Adding 10mm to headtube length, with a slack head angled bike shortens reach by 4mm (for the same front centre).

2) A hardtail at ride height will have an effective reach that’s perhaps nearly 20mm longer than it is statically.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Effective Top Tube / Stem Combo – What is your ideal for general trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.