Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • effective snake oil…..for a torn muscle?
  • ton

got a cramp in my right calf, which I was unable to stretch off.
    the muscle locked into a spasm and I think it has torn. even a slight stretch of the leg causes a searing burning intense pain in the bottom of the calf. enable to straighten the leg because of the pain.

so far, tried ibuleve gel, ibuprofen and paracetamol tablets, firey jack and someother muscle rub.

any other option before amputation?

maccruiskeen

any other option before amputation?

From the experience of a friend in a similar situation look up ‘Compartment Syndrome’ and make sure you can rule it out (or see a doc if you’re unsure) – he came close to losing a leg.

philjunior
    Free Member

Have you tried rest? Anti-inflammatories (particularly shortly after injury) are a bad idea.

Check out other things it could be too, to be on the safe side. Longer term, might be worth getting physio to make an effective recovery and ensure you’re doing the right things to make it less likely to recur (I’m thinking of doing this after picking up some injuries, one of which is totally healed, the other nearly completely healed, and not being able to run a marathon I wanted to do)

globalti
    Free Member

The muscle has torn itself. You need to rest it for a couple of weeks and massage gently. Don’t go running, walking or cycling amd make it a chronic injury. Don’t worry about losing fitness; after a week or two off you’ll be surprised at how strong you feel on the bike as you are probably riding around in a state of permanent fatigue anyway so rest and good food will benefit you.

welshfarmer

Seriously…..

http://uddermint.com/

available at any good farm supplies

(Disclaimer) assuming this is just a soft tissue injury with no serious underlying issues. See your GP if in any doubt.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you want to find out whats wrong with it go and see your local friendly physio

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Cushion.
    Beer.
    TV remote control.

tjagain

I would be looking for pro advice on this I think. Could be muscle tear, ligament damage or just residual pain from the cramp

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

without wishing to worry unduly, you have ruled out DVT? Given a recent op and lack of mobility…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, didn’t you recently have your ankle fused?
    I’d be hobbling off to the doctors, i know a couple of guys who’ve had DVT type things following knee and hip reconstructions.

Luckily both treated quickly and effectively.

ton

dvt and compartment syndrome are the 2 that the symptoms point to, but something in my head says it is no more than a badly pulled or torn muscle.
    I have had it nearly 2 weeks, if it had been either of the more serious issues I think it would have escalated somewhat.

lunge

RICE – Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation.

Or to translate, on the sofa, leg up, ice pack held on with a compression sock/tight bandage. A bit of massage and a foam roller after a few days will help too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I went down to one of the NHS drop in centres a few years ago when I tore a calf muscle. Not a lot you can do according to them other than to dose yourself up with Ibuprofen and elevate to manage swelling. The other piece of advice I was given was to not isolate it – to keep trying to use it. I got a crutch to help me get around more easily, but was told to make sure I exercised it regularly as much as the pain would allow, very gently of course, so gentle stretches to ensure it heals with the full range of movement. If you just rest it then it will heal ‘all wrong’ and be more liable to tear again.

maccruiskeen

If you’ve had surgery and you’re on any resulting medication that might effect your blood clotting then its worth some advice from the docs if this has been persisting. You’re getting advice based on the experience of healthy people. My pal got into a pretty dicy situation almost lost his leg by doing what people who weren’t on the same medication as him advised – because they were recounting medical advice that has been given to them, but they didn’t have his medical history . My GF’s mum currently has a pretty awful infection and ulcer as a result of following compression/tight bandage advice from people unaware she was taking blood-thinning medication.

ton

I was on anti clotting drugs for the 6 weeks I was ‘no weight bearing. I had to inject twice a day, so my body must be full of anti clotting meds still.

gonna give the nhs helpline a ring and see what they suggest.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

ton. Nope. Go and see someone… probably be just as you say… BUT go and see someone. We’ve done this not going to the Doc thing before… haven’t we. 😉

ulysse
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Cushion.
    Beer.
    TV remote control.
    Tissues
    “Art” Pamphlet/ Movies

FTFY 😛

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You are not having much luck ton are you. A few hours ago we were enjoying pictures of you on a bike and now this. No quick solutions beyond the obvious.

I took me two weeks to get over my last MTB crash – I could still ride oddly but every night my thigh would wake me up. Getting old is hard work!!

ton

ton. Nope. Go and see someone… probably be just as you say… BUT go and see someone. We’ve done this not going to the Doc thing before… haven’t we.

spoke to the nhs helpline, advised me to go and see my doctor.

You are not having much luck ton are you. A few hours ago we were enjoying pictures of you on a bike and now this. No quick solutions beyond the obvious.

seem to be having a bit of bad luck over the last few years. it is a bit wearing at times.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well I hope you heal as quickly as possible. It does get you down.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

seem to be having a bit of bad luck over the last few years. it is a bit wearing at times.

I can imagine it is, but all the more reason to get things checked out to prevent further health issues.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get your arse down the docs Tony, if you’d got your ankle sorted out when you 1st bust it ……nag nag nag. 😉

pahoehoe
    Free Member

I was on anti clotting drugs for the 6 weeks I was ‘no weight bearing. I had to inject twice a day, so my body must be full of anti clotting meds still.

The reason you need it twice a day is the drugs wash out of your body so quickly that a once a day dose isn’t enough. I.e. gone in less than 12 hours. Theres some very dodgy logic and advice in this thread – see your GP, unless all the appointments have gone to people with chronic Lyme disease 😉
    NHS GP

tjagain

Ton – you still got any contacts in the run and wriggle lot? someone there might help you

stevomcd
    Free Member

For a calf injury, putting a heel-riser wedge in your shoe (readily available at chemists or good shoe shops) will make it much easier/less painful to walk on. Just be aware that it’s important to wean yourself off this once the injury calms down (about 4 weeks) to avoid artificially shortening the muscle / scar tissue as this can lead to chronic issues.

Source: utter desperation after partially tearing the muscle and straining the achilles 5 weeks before sitting a load of snowboard instructor exams. I read EVERYTHING. My doctor told me there was nothing (other than RICE) that would help it heal quicker – he was probably right.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Any news, or are you in one of these areas where it takes days to get an appointment?

ton

took me 40 mins on hold to get a appointment, for next Thursday.
    I pointed out to the receptionist, that I was concerned because of my surgery, and that I thought it might be something serious.
    she would not budge, so I told her that I was going to phone for a emergency visit from the doctor. she then told me to go to A&E if I was concerned.

how bad is it that people are being sent to hospitals for non emergency things?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It may be worth ringing the Secretary of your surgeon. They may ask you to nip in to clinic…or at least give some better advice.

If not is there a minor injuries near you?

Could end up in the same situation where you get asked to attend A&E mind…or they may be able to speak to the lovely on call Orthopod at LGI.

martinhutch

Yep, as FD said, ask if this is worth popping you on the list for a quick check at clinic.

Do they not have same-day GP appointments for urgent matters where you are? And as for the receptionist deciding if it’s urgent or not, stuff that, triage ain’t their function.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

A call to 111 should ensure a 8 minute ambulance is dispatched. Or it could direct you to your local reiki healer. Who knows what an algorithm an an untrained operative will throw out but a painful swollen calf with a period of immobility following recent lower limb surgery at least needs to be seen before next Thursday. Phone your Gp, read out a succinct version of my last sentence and ask to see the duty Gp today.

ton

just got back from a visit to St James cdu. 3 clot busting injections and back for a ultra sound and scan in the morning.
    not 100% that it is a dvt, but my calf is rock hard, and shouldnt be.

😀

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Is the right answer.

Fast forward x years to NHS 2.0 and instead of the game of chance and trial of life you’ve experienced today, you’ll be able to call me up, speak to me instantly, see me at at time of your convinence and have the scan that day.

Unless your poor in which case you’ll have to take your chances with 111/forums/luck/magic beans. But if you are poor you don’t vote Tory so it’s a very sound political strategy.

midlifecrashes

Ouch, at least they are on to it now. Don’t know your plans, or if the docs have told you already, but don’t fly until you get this clot or risk of clot sorted, the reduced pressure can entice a clot to shift around to where you want it even less than in your leg.

ton

pahoehoe, you shall be the forumite i aim all my medical questions to in the future.

thanks very much mate….. 😀

pahoehoe
    Free Member

I think funky Dunc called it on the first page tbh but I’ll happily take the credit for the ambulances service good work!

If it is a dvt and they mention warfarin do your mock horrified look and ask about a NOAC – apixiban would be my choice. Warfarin involves lots of blood tests and interactions with foods and other tablets and is a ballache.

ton

pahoehoe, i was on warfarin for 4 years with my heart problem, before i was sorted. going for my inr test every friday did prove to be a pain in the bum.

thanks for the advice.

ton

turns out it is a dvt at the back of my knee.
    just spent the day day on the cdu ward, some more burning injections to disolve the clot, and a 4 month course of warfarin.

thanks all for convincing me to seek medical help.

and if i ask anymore medical stuff on here, please feel free to tell me to bugger off……. 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Glad you got it sorted, I’m sure you are well aware of the potential consequences had you not.

oh and seek proper medical advice first, not a bunch of internet experts 😉

scotroutes

Glad you’re getting sorted Tony.

This thread should be the first reply next time there’s a medical query on STW 🙂

pahoehoe
    Free Member

@scotroutes – it should be the first reply next time theres a “What do GP’s actually do” or “All GP’s/Paramedics/nurses/midwifes/doctors are sh!t, overpaid, lazy and there job is easy” thread.

For my own sanity I’m strictly a lurker on the medical threads; some of which contain good information, but this was getting a bit dangerous so broke cover!

oh and seek proper medical advice first, not a bunch of internet experts

Hey ambulance driver, wind your neck in 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘effective snake oil…..for a torn muscle?’ is closed to new replies.