Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Effect of fork rake
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just looking for some carbon forks for a 29er scandal and was wondering what the effect of rake (offset) will be.

The niner type forks seem very inline but the On One forks seem to have much more rake unless I am missing something and the legs on the niner (and similar) angle forwards from the crown.

Macavity
    Free Member

Rake = angle
    unless you are American.

andyl
    Free Member

Well we could also use the term caster (as used in car suspension) but i’ll stick to rake or offset as it leaves no doubt over the measurement in question.

Anyone got any input on the effect and what I should be looking for? Seems that there has been a bit of a shift in thinking but not sure how it applies to the Scandal in particular.

rwc03
    Free Member

Shopping trolley vs motorbike cruiser.

If you’re perpendicular to the ground you’ll have very fast steering, but no stability.

andyl
    Free Member

Just the kind of thing I was looking for earlier. Thanks Rorschach

compositepro
    Free Member

I always wondered why it wasn’t called caster

Isnt it just a case of 47 odd mm for us euros and 2″ for the brothers across the pond

tazzymtb

for a scandal 38-47mm offset is ok for 80-100mm forks or axle to crown equivalent stiffies with 47 being rather agile…51mm (fisher G2 etc..) is super quick but can be a handful if you’re not having a good day. Based on my experience with scandals and lots of different forks

andyl
    Free Member

Cheers Tazzy. I’ll avoid anything over 47mm.

Ones that I have seen so far:

On Ones 47mm
    Exotic 42mm
    Chinese full carbon 38mm
    Niner 45mm

tazzymtb

on-ones from experience go best with a scandals head angle, the 38mm’s are a wee bit bargelike. The exotics would be a nice compromise.

andyl
    Free Member

aye it’s looking like I’ll ave to look out for some On One forks. Stuck with this cromoly fork for now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Effect of fork rake’ is closed to new replies.