Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Ee wifi phone connection
  • boxelder

Anyone use Ee’s wifi phone service – calls on mobile via wifi where no network signal. Ours only works if you stay in the same room. Move rooms and connection is lost, even though the wifi is the same network (boosters running through mains wiring).
    Anyone using it without such hassles?

somouk
    Free Member

Mine is fine as it’s one router for the whole house.

I suspect yours is probably dropping as the phone swaps between access points/boosters.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I used to use it on Orange but didn’t roam around the house.

Not sure if EE/Orange use UMA (which hands over between wifi and GSM/3G) or just plain VoIP over WiFi. The latter might not cope with any kind of hand over when signal is dropped or interrupted.

If you’ve got multiple WiFi points even though it’s the same network the device will drop one connection and connect to the other and that takes time, so likely the connection drops. If they were using UMA it would at least try to get onto GSM/3G in the meantime, but then I guess you have no mobile signal. Not sure how it copes going between WiFi access points.

I think they use something non standard anyway as it requires special firmware so only works with their branded phones.

boxelder

As suspected. Ta

hammyuk
    Free Member

Give them a call and they’ll send you the box out free.
    Plugs into the router and increases the signal, etc.
    The issue with wifi calling is it messes up iMessage and Facetime

deadkenny
    Free Member

There are two services I think. One is basically an EE app on your phone which does routes GSM/3G calls via WiFi. The other is a box you plug into your router and gives you a local private GSM/3G hotspot and uses your broadband to route the call.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ee wifi phone connection’ is closed to new replies.