Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Edumacate me about cyclocross
  • geologist
    Free Member

So I have just bought a cyclocross bike, mainly to mix my riding up and have a bit of variety. Naturally though being a competitive so and so, I’m thinking about having ago at a cx race. Only I don’t have the first clue about it.
    Are there categories in it like mtb racing ?
    What is the pedal of choice for cx’ers

Cheers

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pedal choice will be your favourite SPD.

So for me, my CX bikes have XT spd’s.

whitestone
    Free Member

Many (most?) CX events have an open category race which lets anyone have a go.

+1 for SPDs

I assume you’ve seen this page https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/cyclo-cross

cats are mix of experience and age, so there’s a novice cat and beyond that it’s based on age. Seniors race for an hour, most other cats for less; I’m in V40 (ie. men between 40 and 49) and race for 40 minutes.

Run your tyres as soft as you dare (30psi is typical in clinchers, tubeless and tubulars run lower). Practice running mount/dismounts (or bunny hopping 40cm obstacles at low speeds). Be prepared to have to stop to unclog your bike with mud, and blow out of your arse for the whole race.

And the season has nearly finished, so if you get bitten by the bug you’ve got the summer to work on it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Geologist where are you based? let’s get you entered into a CX race before end of season and you quickly understand HOW addictive it is. National Champs in Shrewsbury this weekend come watch the pro’s race!

Get into you tube and watch UCI world cup from Zolder!

Be prepared to be breathing through your armpits for 40mins my average HR is 188!!!! But prefer winter training generally they have tea and cake post CX races too 🙂

I’m excited for you 🙂

Linky to UCI channel

https://m.youtube.com/?hl=en-GB&gl=GB#/results?q=uci%20cx&sm=1

benji
    Free Member

As above age related categories. Pedal wise I’m an egg beater man, four sides to stamp on and virtually impossible to clog, rebuild them at the end of every season and they stay sweet.

Tyres if you are only having one set go for muds, pressure is key, and the lower the better but not so low you pinch puncture. It’s a mix of skill and fitness, but be warned it’s seriously addictive.

There is usually a local cross league, so you get a race most weekends in the autumn/winter. Where abouts are you based?

benji
    Free Member

Another good youtube channel is Cyclocrossable

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCYZ3m0gGkrSZ9bJ3ZrF0Q

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s riding round a field/park for an hour
    Usually in the mud (mud like you’ve never encountered)
    On a (at first glance) totally unsuitable bike
    Frequently in the freezing cold
    Usually at +90% of max hr
    You get off and run at all the difficult bits
    You will despair at how bad you are at it
    It’s never ‘fun’
    It’s incredibly addictive
    I miss it dreadfully

geologist
    Free Member

Fantastic, thanks everyone:)
    I’ll defo go Upto Shrewsbury next weekend as I’m only in Ludlow 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Feel free to come & say hi next weekend as I’m racing at Shrewbury ( in the loosest sense of the word-I’ll be at the back!)
    I’ll have a pair of Black/Blue Ridley’s & loitering by the Madison/Ridley/Lazer van.

TiRed

If you have a modicum of road fitness and mtb skill, enter the novice race (probably one lap) and enjoy it. All cross race events have entry on the line. They are a lot of fun.

Then try an event for your age. I’m V40 and ride a singlespeed mountain bike. For tyres I found CX pros run tubeless at 18psi are good in the slop.

alanl
    Free Member

Your local league will be the West Mids.
    They are a good bunch. It’s intimidating at first – everyone looks so clued up, but once you’ve done a race or 2, chatted with a few, you’ll soon get the hang of it.
    There is one more race this season, 24th Jan near Erdington.
    If you arent a BC member, then it’d be a good idea to get a Bronze race membership, without it, you’ll have to pay a day membership every time you race.

Home

goldenwonder
    Free Member

There isn’t a novice race at West Mids, its just done on age & after that everyone races together ( same with Notts & Derby & I believe Welsh league)
    It’s a friendly atmosphere & you should get a good race regardless of where you are in the field.
    Hardly worth getting a BC licence for this season as there’s only one race left.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Geologist I’m racing Shrewsbury too Sunday 1315 watch Helen Wyman (awesome to follow on Twitter!) and Nikki Harris (recent World Cup winner) smash up the elite women’s field… I’ll be bringing up the rear in a black and pink Ale skinsuit so give us a cheer.

Everyone looks all the gear but I guarantee within one race you’ll be sourcing a CX skinsuit!

Also look at Love Crossed in Gloucester on 31st Jan, then watch World Champs after at said location with like minded bikers!!
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/139600/Lovecrossed

So what CX bike did you buy?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Where is a novice race 1 lap? Central League it is 30 Mins, laps generally between 6-9mins so a few more.courses are between 1.5-3km in length so great and spectator friendly for wife and kids.

hammerite
    Free Member

Make sure you have a naive friend/family member who will sit in the pits for an hour freezing their bits off to pass a spare wheel to you. Then a month later be there with bucket, brush and sponge to hand over your new spare bike evey other lap.

geologist
    Free Member

Cool , thanks again 🙂 I had a bargain on. Tcx2

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Edumacate me about cyclocross’ is closed to new replies.