Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Educate an idiot on headsets
  • ebennett

Headset (Cane Creek) on my bike has developed play, I can tighten it up but after an hour or so the play is back. What/how much am I likely to damage if I keep riding with it until I get a new one sent out? Off to the Lakes on Monday and doubt I’d be able to get a new one and get it fitted in time!

Second stupid question – Thinking about getting an a 1 degree angleset from Works. Fork is tapered 1.5″ lower 1 1/8″ upper – do I need a 1 1/8″ reducer crown? I think I do, but not sure!

Third stupid question – how easy is it to fit an angled headset yourself without a press? I’m guessing you have to be really careful with alignment but other than that it’s just the same as fitting any other headset?

welshfarmer

If your forks are tapered you won’t need the reducer. This is only to allow you to fit 1 1/8″ straight steerer forks into a tapered headset.

Fitting an angle set without special tools is easy enough if you take your time and get i all lined up carefully. You can pull them in with threaded bar or knock them in with a lump of hardwood and a hammer. But you need to be pretty confident/competent and be able to know if it is working or when to stop and either try another technique or give it to a professional. Its not hard but it is alos easy to damage stuff if you do it wrong.

As for your first question, it sounds like the bearings are U/S. As a tapered headset they are going to be cartridge bearings. Chances of doing lasting damage to the frame or headset cups if you choose to use them are pretty slim. Worst that might happen is that the bearing disintegrates and locks solid on you. Your call 🙂

ebennett

Thanks, very helpful! Headset is getting replaced anyway so not too concerned about doing more damage to it, just as long as I don’t damage the frame.

pembo6
    Free Member

I recently had the same problem. I kept tightening the headset back up after every ride. It damaged the upper headset bearing and race, but didn’t do any damage to anything else. I replaced the bearing and put a new stem on, and it no longer slips. You should be fine to ride it s few more times. Just test it mud ride (before any big descents).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why risk your frame?

Get it sorted now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Educate an idiot on headsets’ is closed to new replies.