Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Edinburgh weekend – without the bike
  • crispo
    Free Member

So it’s Mrs Crispo’s birthday tomorrow so I am taking her away to Edinburgh for the weekend.

Have sorted the train and hotel but could do with some inspiration for the rest. You know, things to do, places to see/eat/drink.

Drinking preference wise we are pretty easy, I like a good pub, mrs Crispo likes some where nice for a G&T. Eating wise we are both very easy with what we like.

Really just give me any suggestions of places and things you rate in Edinburgh!!

jimmy

Errm, it sounds like you’re pretty easy so go anywhere!

If the weather’s nice, though, head down the shore in Leith. Award winning curry, chinese, other restaurants and bars – all good in the sunshiiiiine.

Kunstler

Hey, it’s my birthday tomorrow too! And I live in Edinburgh. I’m celebrating at The Tourmalet (yep, a cycle themed pub) just off Leith Walk. Should be a good mix of folk there tomorrow – say hi if you swing by. I’m the injured one getting sympathy from the barmaid. It’s a great pub. Victoria, just a short way down the walk is also a really nice place.

Have you been to Edinburgh before? Just soak it up – wander around the Royal Mile, Holyrood, climb Arthurs Seat or Calton Hill (the better option in this heat), All the parks will be busy and there’s a nice atmosphere on the Meadows or Inverleith Park. Walk along the river from Stockbridge through Dean Village to the Gallery of Modern Art or proper busy seaside at Porty beach.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paladin

Mary kings close….. Think you need to book in advance, but well worth doing. Ensign ewarts bar just up the street, nothing special but I did like it.

I don’t rate the castle at all.

Arthur’s seat. Its free and great view of the city.

alanl
    Free Member

National Gallery. If the Three graces are there, then that is worth seeing on its own. A quick google doesn’t show if it is there or at the V&A at the moment.

Look at a small bronze statue of a man on horse, then go to the Royal Mile, opposite the heart of Midlothian, and see the full size statue.

Greyfriars Kirk to see the tombs and mausoleums, possibly a visit on the Sunday for a service in Gaelic?

The National Museum. If you have read Rebus, you’ll know of the tiny dolls found near Arthurs Seat, which inspried him to write about them. Go up to the top, open garden for great views.
    A walk up to Arthurs Seat. Well, ok, get a Taxi up, then walk down.
    Calton Hill and take a ‘classic’ photo looking down Princes St.
    Walk up the 200+ steps of the Scott Monument for great views too. Wonder at the fat Americans who think they can get up.
    Have a picnic in Princes St. gardens. Look up local info to see if a band are playing on the stand.
    Wander round the Old Town, looking in the tiny closes. Mary Kings Close is the best, blocked off for 150 or so years, now open, but book in advance only iirc.
    Have a pint in one of the many bars in the Old Town.
    Avoid the Royal Mile whenever possible, unless you want to buy some tartan branded tat.

crispo
    Free Member

Sounds like a good few ideas for things to see and do.

So give me your favourite places to eat and drink! We arrive at about 8ish on friday so something local to our hotel (york place) would be good for a bite and a drink. And all options considered for saturday/sunday!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

With this weather, train to Sth Queensferry, then boat trip to Inchcolm. awesome views of the bridges

Mary Kings Close is the best, blocked off for 150 or so years, now open, but book in advance only iirc.

deffo

jimmy

If you’re in York Place you have a few restaurants nearby – head East and opposite the Playhouse there’s curry (Kushi’s), an excellent Thai (Thai Pavillion), Turkish (Pomegranate)… If you want good Scottish food, The Dogs and Stac Polly are nearby – google em see what you think.

joeegg
    Free Member

Has anybody had any experience of the Premier Inn which i believe is on the quayside at Leith.
    We’re looking to go in Sept for a few nights and wondered if it was too far out of the centre or the position was pretty good for most of Edinburgh.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And if one were needed, here’s another vote for Mary Kning’s Close.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Centotre, have a drink/cocktail/G&T at the bar and the food is fantastic. George Street.

paladin

Go for a trip on a tram!

crispo
    Free Member

Sounds like Mary Kings Close is going to be on the list then. Is it an all day jobby or just an hour or two tour? Mrs Crispo wants to see the castle so looks like that might be on the list now too.

Centotre looks really good, might give that a try. Have had a place called Steak recommended too, anyone been there?

jamiep
    Free Member

Mary Kings Close (takes one hour) is on the Royal Mile. Have a wonder up the mile on your way to the castle.

Nip in and out of some of the closes that spur off the Mile in order to get a flavour of the current streets in preparation before going to MKC.

Stop at MKC and then at the Camera Obscura a bit further up near the Castle. Maybe try to hit the castle when the 1 o’clock gun goes off (not on Sundays)

A (free) walk up Carlton Hill to take in the views?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If you are heading to Centotre on George St, pop into The Abbotsford on Rose street for a drink. Its my favourite pub in Edinburgh

http://www.theabbotsford.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh weekend – without the bike’ is closed to new replies.