Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Edinburgh to Bedford on the A1 – suitable places to stop with a toddler
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

So next week I’ll be driving from Edinburgh to Bedford with sweajnr and sweamrs in tow. Sweajnr is 20 months old and doesn’t object too much to car time but even so we’re planning on this taking most of a day.

The current route plan is to go straight down the A1(m). So I’m looking for suggestions of good places (service station or otherwise) where we can stop and stretch everyone’s legs to prevent unneeded tantrums.

scotroutes

Almost an answer, but have you considered travelling in the evening/night? Sleepy passengers make for less stress 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

sweajnr will be a bit jet lagged (coming from Canada) so the intent is to try and line it up at least a bit with his “night” as agree sleepy passengers make for less stress but I’m planning for worst case scenario.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A1? Hope you have plenty of stimulation as the stretch from Edinburgh to Newcastle is possibly the most mind numbing experience I have ever had.

sweaman2
    Free Member

You’ve never tried to drive across saskatchewan then? 😆

martinhutch

I’d go across the Borders to meet the A74(m) then M6/M1 personally. Lots of nice scenery to look at (Lakes and Howgills). Services at Tebay is really good for a first stop – ducks to feed, good food and views.

Ikea just north of Brum for another stop and wander about? It’s right on the Motorway, has a decent restaurant, kid’s play area with little slide etc.

I know how much I hate getting well off the motorway when I’m trying to just get the miles done.

bear-uk
    Free Member

If you sticking to the East coast then try go down the A19.
    The A1 is a nightmare for roadworks.
    Or go West down the M6.

ninfan
    Free Member

If you’re not in a hurry, then A68 instead of A1 can be lovely – lots more scenery, easy detour onto roman wall, and if you are travelling in the morning avoids the worst bit of A1 around metro centre etc.

roughly halfway you can divert off the motorway about one minute at Boroughbridge, or about 5 minutes at Wetherby, gets you to Morrisons, IMO a far better for some food, fuel and nappy change etc than motorway service stations (Wetherby also means you get to nip to the police station for obligatory photo with a tardis)

RSPB at Fairburn ings (castleford) for a nice leg stretch, or short diversion to sherwood forest visitor centre.

hope that helps.

eddie11
    Free Member

Of the A1 services wetherby is the least worst. Don’t travel at night there is a good chance it will be shut for road works in Newcastle and in Yorkshire.

sing1etrack

Friendly Farmer at Newark’s very good as service station-type stops go, though possibly a bit close to your destination to be of use.

donks
    Free Member

Done this drive many times with the kids…. Milton Keynes to Edinburgh.
    I personally go
    M1
    M18
    A19
    A1

Or sometimes just straight up m1/A1
    Worth stopping at Bamburg castle (small detour) as it’s quite picturesque as well as Alnwick which is also quite nice?

Also we go up the coastal road from Eyemouth just over the borders as it’s nicer than the A1.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d go with martinhutchs M6 Tebay idea.

There is also a farm park with café just off Junction 33 of the M6 – about 2 miles down the A6

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will look into alternate routes as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

roughly halfway you can divert off the motorway about one minute at Boroughbridge,

I can supply refreshments in Boroughbridge, cheaper than Morrisons & only 300 yards away!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh to Bedford on the A1 – suitable places to stop with a toddler’ is closed to new replies.