Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Edinburgh – recommendations please…..
  • Pickers

Hi folks,
    Mrs P and I will be in Edinburgh for a couple of days this week, could do with some good ideas for…
    1. Nice but not too expensive place to eat.
    2. Mrs P likes her whisky, so somewhere to try a few.
    3. Some nice railings to which I can lock a bike…

km79
    Free Member

1. Glasgow.
    2. Glasgow.
    3. Edinburgh.

tjagain

1) what sort of food. I always recommend the shore in Leith – 25+ places to eat in a half mile square ranging from michelin star to good pub grub.

Favourites? The ship on the shore does very good seafood. The kings Wark good pub grub. Wisharts if you are feeling rich. a meal in there can cost the same as a holiday but it feels like good value somehow.

2) Malt whisky Society for the water of life. A lot of pubs will have good whisky ranges as well

3) many bits of street furniture have specific fixings for locking bikes to but use a good lock and an old bike

want any more specific info just ask.

Smudger666

Italian. Giulianos by the playhouse is excellent and not too pricey.
    Chinese – lucky jade opposite the zoo – a bit out of town but worth it imho.

And for wacky off the wall but good, try Keble khans in leith – Mongolian bbq is an experience!

vorlich
    Free Member

You won’t get in the Whisky Society without a membership

pigyn
    Free Member

Edinburgh you are spoiled for nice places to eat.
    Three Birds
    The Dogs
    Hanams
    Just seen a new place called Seasons on Broughton Street (5min walk from waverly) that looks fantastic. You just tell them if you are weird with any food and they make you stuff. Fantastic.
    Gardeners Cottage also good but more expensive.
    Beer Kitchen for pub grub.
    Or Wings 😀

Railings everywhere. Don’t know about whiskey, spirits are rank.

chickenman

For whiskey you need to get the Stranrar-Larne ferry you will find!
    Sasso at Newhaven is better than most of the faux Italian joints including Guilianos.

andy4d

Isn’t there the whisky museum or something like that at the top of the royal mile, near the castle?

giant_scum
    Free Member

Kushi’s opposite the Playhouse for Indian food, never disappoints
    riveRLife is a Creole place on Dalry Rd never been but my work mate says it is excellent.
    Whisky I don’t know anything about.
    Railings take your pick, see where others chain bikes up and follow suit!

fatmax

1.Cafe Andaluz for some tapas? Gardeners Cottage is on my list too. Timberyard is lovely but a wee bit pricey.
    2. Kays Bar in the New Town
    3. Kays Bar in the New Town wouldn’t be a bad shout either.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Rarely get out to eat in Edinburgh these days but really liked Ting Thai Caravan, very helpful and friendly and the food was great. Yesterday we grabbed a takeaway lunch from Bonnie Burritos, tasty and good value but we are on a bit of a Burrito roll at the moment.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

If you have a car the glengoyne distillery is about 1h20 and great. Good tours and lovely scenery.

poly
    Free Member

1. Nice but not too expensive place to eat.
    I’ve discovered over the last few years that my definition of “nice” and “not too expensive” are quite different from others. So I’d suggest you narrow it down a bit. Perhaps with how much you’d like to pay? And maybe any particular preferences on food, or locality within Edinburgh (its not that big but traffic is a PITA and a taxi adds cost)

2. Mrs P likes her whisky, so somewhere to try a few.
    Essentially every pub in Edinburgh will have quite a few whiskies. Again you might want to narrow down what you want – are you looking for somewhere that can give you a massive range? talk your through them? or thats just a nice place to drink? if the latter then where are you staying…

3. Some nice railings to which I can lock a bike…
    I’d say nowhere in the city if it is an expensive bike. Usual rules will apply on well lit, near CCTV, preferably with other better bikes and poorer security nearby! There are a lot of railings in edinburgh though, and even some official bike racks so you might want to narrow it down. If the bike is worth a lot (or more than you can afford to lose/get back on insurance) I would be explaining the “very expensive bike” problem to your accomodation and trying to keep it inside somewhere.

Garry_Lager

Scotch malt whisky soc as recommended by tj2 – Queen St. Fine dining and cask whisky so only if you feel like splashing out a bit, but it’s not crazy like a Michelin starred place or anything like that. When I used to go there it had the incongruity of young French waiters recommending whisky. Like going to Parisian restaurant and finding a Scouse sommelier – nonetheless, it is superb.

The Bow Bar on Victoria St is a small trad pub, central, and well-quoted for whisky. As said, every alehouse in Edinburgh will have loads on offer, but few will be able to tell you anything about it.

cbike
    Free Member

Kim’s mini meals

Beriut

Take bike into hotel

GrahamS

Scotch malt whisky soc as recommended by tj2 – Queen St.

Pretty sure that’s members (and guests) only. Certainly used to be when I lived up there.

Garry_Lager

GrahamS – Member

Scotch malt whisky soc as recommended by tj2 – Queen St.

Pretty sure that’s members (and guests) only. Certainly used to be when I lived up there. No doubt there are private members rooms but the main dining room is open to all.

NZCol

Malt whisky soc is open to all
    Timberyard
    Mumbai mansion
    Wisharts
    Kitchin
    Hanging bat for beer
    Cafe Royale for everything you asked for

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cycle from Edinburgh out along the union canal to ratho – about 8 miles? And eat at the bridge inn. Wicked, and a nice cycle when the trees are starting to change colour, ie now!.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Elcartel – excellent tacos i mean really good and good luck getting in!
    Vietnam house – excellent vietnamese.
    Pickles for a very boozy cheese and wune night for two.
    Mother India – fantastic indian
    V deep – fantastic indian

Whisky… its edinburgh you’ll struggle not to find whisky.

Railings… depends on the bike never had a bike stolen and the only ones i know of being stolen ate from stairwell, so, sensible precautions but i would worry too much! Is it something fancy?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – recommendations please…..’ is closed to new replies.