Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Edinburgh Pentlands MTB Marathon.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

http://edinburghpentlandsmtb.co.uk/

Who else is entering this event? 28-29 September.

unknown
    Free Member

Looks interesting, I’ll probably give that a go. I’d like to see the route before signing up, but probably will anyway.

scotroutes

I assume this will be like the Merida Marathons – i.e. timed. If so, how well do they work given there is no Section 11 order (temporary restriction of public access) in place? Does it ruin the racing at all if you’re having to dodge the public?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Hmmm…would be interested as a bit of a day out, but not keen on having to go hard at it if its a timed race type situation

Furthest I’ve ever gone off road without stopping is about 30 miles….no chance Id get round the 60 miles in one piece.

and where the hell is this 1km climb they are talking about? Never come across anything like that before in the pentlands.

Dougal
    Free Member

Scotroutes – Most races are run without a Section 11 Order.

This isn’t a race anyway, just a timed event. Like a sportive *cough*.

TPbiker – The 1km climb is from Dreghorn Mains up to Fala Knowe. It is comfortably more than 1km even if they just use the steep bit. Here’s a Strava segment that uses it: http://www.strava.com/segments/1661467

scotroutes

Tpbiker – must be the climb up the Howden Burn.

Dougal – hence my question.

Dougal
    Free Member

I don’t remember any instance where other trail users caused an issue at the front of a Merida/CRC Marathon. Well, other than the one person who stole some signs on both runnings of the Penrith Marathon a few years back.

Dealing with other users is just part of Marathon events, same for British Champs, and those run on the continent.

scotroutes

Cancelled. Apparently, they couldn’t get the agreement of all the landowners. Can’t say I’m surprised.

legolam
    Free Member

🙁
    Was going to do this as a replacement for the Kielder 50

tpbiker
    Free Member

boooo…was looking forward to this, would have been fun to do it with mates and discover a few new trails in the area.

unknown
    Free Member

Bugger, was looking at this again at lunchtime and planning to sign up tonight.

scotroutes

tpbiker – send me an email and I’ll respond with a link to map of lots of Pentlands trails.

Dougal
    Free Member

Scotroutes – Don’t be a dick, the map is hardly a secret at this point.

http://eucc.eusu.ed.ac.uk/pentlands_map.php

tpbiker
    Free Member

Bit harsh there dougal, don’t think the offer of a map of the area could be construed as ‘being a dick’in any way….

Scotroutes, if you are who I think you are I think you already send me a map a while ago, which has been ace in finding my way round. THere has however been a number of times that i’ve really struggled to find the start of the trail…always end up getting lost . Would have been nice to have a signposted route for a change!

Thanks for the offer however.

nikk
    Free Member

Mixed feelings about this. It is a shame as was looking forward to doing the long route as a challenge, and wondering what ways it would take. Also the hill climb sounded fun.

On the other hand, I guess the trails will be better off without hundreds of cyclists on them on the same day (and likely in the rain!). And I can still ride the Pentlands for free, anytime I like, on any given day of the week X-)

theblackmount
    Free Member

Baws, quite fancied it myself.

Surprised at an org like Rare not having all of the appropriate Landowners on side before going public with the event.

Unless of course it’s been politic to do it in this manner in the hope it can be run at some future point.

Would be interested to hear which party or parties were against it and why the route couldn’t have been truncated.

ojom
    Free Member

I’d be a ‘dick’ too if it was my map.

dazzlingboy

That’s annoying. Was on for that – it’s the week after Tour de Ben Nevis so was going to do a double header.

nikk
    Free Member

How about we just do a “gentleman’s race” anyway? All we need to do is figure out a route and a starting time. I’d be up for a 50+ mile ride.

dazzlingboy

If the map has been published, a group of us should ride it anyway and exercise our world leading rights of access.

The landowners can jump up and down all they want then.

tpbiker
    Free Member

i thought that dazzling, but I don’t think it has 🙁

kcal

Howden Burn climb would be interesting as a timed ascent, what happens if there are folk walking up? I’ve only cleaned it once and nearly vomited. Ah well.

Have the map as well, courtesy druidh, after supplying some routes..

scotroutes

No route was published as there was no final agreement.

I wonder if Edinburgh Council got their £40k back?

Oh – and if anyone wants a more complete map than the EUCC one, my email is in my profile.

Stu_N

dazzlingboy, you’ve got yourself quoted in the local rag

LEGEND!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/pentlands-mountain-bike-marathon-in-farm-land-row-1-3072847

nikk
    Free Member

Some really nice open minded and rational comments up there now…

tpbiker
    Free Member

‘typical lycra lout’…classic!

Northwind

Things readers of the Evening News dislike:

Trams
    Road tolls
    Potholes
    Traffic
    Road repairs
    Dazzlingboy

dazzlingboy

Dazzlingboy, a member of singletrackworld.com, wrote: “If the map has been published, a group of us should ride it anyway and exercise our world-leading rights of access.

Typical lycra lout.

YES! Fame at last! Glad that the attitudes of the landowners have been brought to public notice at least. Just shows that despite the support of all and sundry including the Council, Spokes etc, a small number of interested parties can hold it to ransom.

Raises event organisers in my estimation. How they manage to organise events like the Six Day Trials, Etape Caledonia and MTB rides in the face of these attitudes is beyond me. And this is in Scotland where the landowners don’t have a leg to stand on if we did turn up to ride it. How do organisers manage in England!! Obviously this was marketed as a “race” etc which muddies the access waters I guess.

Serious note too – shows how comments made on here can be picked up and spread around – dangerous……..

unknown
    Free Member

Heaven forbid that the Evening News comments section meets STW – that place makes here look like a hippy love-in!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

As one who occasionally uses the Pentlands I do think the Landowners would “have a leg to stand on”. The key to the access rights is responsible usage. Mass riding as an expression of pique (or indeed for commercial exploitation) might not be seen as such.

scotroutes

Yep – it was always promoted (to the council and landowners) as a race. Have a look at the position in England and you’ll find that racing on bridleways is illegal (as is, of course riding at all on footpaths).

The landowners I spoke to don’t have a major issue with cyclists (not as much as the runners do – I’m not sure I understand why) but they were concerned about aspects such as public liability should they “give permission” for an event on their land. This was exacerbated by the notion that the tracks would also be open to all the usual walkers, cyclists, pram, dogs, horses etc.

It’s a shame. The Pentlands tracks have rarely been in better condition (remember last “summer”?) and some forward thinking might have produced a workable closed circuit. The fact that the organisers decided to publicise the event despite not having permission does make me wonder if they were trying to exert a bit of pressure. Maybe it can all be sorted out for next year instead of being rushed through.

Comparisons with other events like the SSDT are going to be difficult as I’m not sure any of these take place in an area which already has such a high concentration of leisure users.

AlasdairMc

nikk – Member
    How about we just do a “gentleman’s race” anyway? All we need to do is figure out a route and a starting time. I’d be up for a 50+ mile ride.

I was speaking to someone else about that recently – riding a 94k route in the Pentlands for free instead of part of the marathon. Just need to get on bikehike and draw up a route.

dazzlingboy

Fair point Orange – agreed. An organised race trundling through could hardly be construed as responsible.

A small scale gentleman’s race on the other hand……

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Pentlands MTB Marathon.’ is closed to new replies.