Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Edinburgh Parking? (unexpected drive)
  • crewlie

Due to volcanic activity, our trip today to see our daughter is now going to be by car, does anyone know if there is any reasonably cheap long stay parking in or around the city? It doesn't have to be central as we can use public transport once we get there. Thanks.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

You can park at one of the secure Park and Rides just outside the city for free, and then get a bus into town. There are Park and Rides at Straiton, Hermiston Gait, Sherrifhall etc.

Doug

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

quite a lot of the suburban streets are uncontrolled parking

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

£5 per day at the airport or free on-street parking down Leith / The Shore.
    The one at the station is around £18 per day iirc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What TJ said, you can park within 2 miles of the centre, near a bus route, for free.

AlasdairMc

Where in Edinburgh are you heading?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Geoffj – you won't find much parking around the shore these days

crewlie

Cheers everyone, Her flat is near the Meadows, but the secure Park and Rides sound good, I've got the web site up and it's pretty comprehensive with directions and such.

AlasdairMc

Park in Currie, Balerno, Bonaly or thereabouts – then you'll just have to bring your bike along and ride the Pentlands 😉

crewlie

I had thought of that, but apparently we won't have time 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

You could probs park 10m walk away in the Grange, though some of it is permit only now IIRC.

crewlie

Thanks for all the help. Setting off now, see what we find when we get there.

TheFlyingOx

Depending on what time you get there and how long you're staying, you might be able to park next to her flat. Meadows is zone 7 & 8. The permit parking scheme in Edinburgh is a bit backwards, in that for zones 5 and upwards it's only in operation between 8:30am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday. Fair game for anyone outside those times. That's how I play it anyway, and I've never had a ticket in 4 years up here.

euanr
    Free Member

Top tip: you can park in the Resident permit holders bays outwith the relevant zone's hours of operation (displayed on signs at entry to zone). Not a lot of people know that.

balfa
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, Her flat is near the Meadows, but the secure Park and Rides sound good, I've got the web site up and it's pretty comprehensive with directions and such.

If your around the meadows your best bet is to park in the grange. Very wealthy part of the city and unlikely to have any problems. I used to park in Astley Ainslie hospital at the north end for a year. It within the controlled parking area so you get closer than you could otherwise.

http://www.nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk/hospitals/astleyainslie.asp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Parking? (unexpected drive)’ is closed to new replies.