Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Edinburgh – Good haggis ??
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hello,

My dutch friend is very keen on trying some Haggis 🙄

Do any locals have a good recommendation for a nice place to get some for a meal etc ?

Thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why the 🙄 ?

No idea round there, sorry.

Offroading
    Free Member

Well it’s just haggis i don’t see the fascination with trying it.

notlocal
    Free Member

It might be too far @ 2.5 hours, but Ronnie Gray, Braemar Butcher; has awards for his Haggis. Shoots ’em himself 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

No-one else in the world has it, it tastes very unlike most other things, it’s interesting to try new things? Seems odd that a scot would be dismissive of someone wanting to sample their native foods. Maybe thats just me!

Offroading
    Free Member

Im not Scottish… Anyway i don’t have a problem with her wanting to try it.

hugorune

The Chippy on the corner of the grassmarket does a damn fine haggis supper.

nicko74

Nah, you want the country haggis, as the urban haggis just feeds itself on rubbish. Plus the country one has longer legs and more flavour 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

MacSween’s butcher (I think) in Bruntsfield, just before Holy Corner used to get loads of awards for their haggis – it’s the one with all the sheepskins hanging in the window. Not sure if it’s still there or not TBH.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what user removed said.

Offroading
    Free Member

Just to clarify i meant a resturant etc not a butcher to take some home etc.

But thanks for the info so far.

donald
    Free Member

MacSween’s haggis is still widely available but they no longer have a retail shop in Bruntsfield.

You should be able to buy a haggis in any decent Edinburgh butcher or supermarket.

hugorune

the kitchen in Leith – run by Tom Kitchen of Celeb Master chef fame.

donald
    Free Member

Hmm – haggis isn’t really a restaurant dish – it’s peasant food.

Maybe you could cook one for your friend – it isn’t hard.

Pook

monster mash just up the road from Greyfriars does an ace haggis and neeps

GrahamS

Just about any restaurant in Edinburgh will have haggis. How posh/expensive do you want to go?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

theres a great game butcher down stockbridge but i dont know the name,his haggis is great.any peckhams will do nacsweens haggis.very good also

cold
    Free Member

Cant remember the name but the restaurant at the converted bank, lovely stuff!!!

jimmy

Was going to suggest the Dogs;

http://www.thedogsonline.co.uk/index.html

but the menu doesn’t show Haggis…. supposed to be a Scottish restauraunt! Still, recommended anyway.

coffeeking
    Free Member
    Offroading
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay had to nip away…

Well nothing too posh posh, just somewhere normal in Edinburgh etc. Most of the places i went past didn’t serve it though which is why i asked. The only place i did find it served as at the Standing Order.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Try the lunch menu at Maison Bleu, just off the Grassmarket. Get 2 (small) courses for £6.90, so 2 of you could get 4, one being haggis (on a whisky mash) for under £15- not too much damage if it isn’t a hit.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We went to Urban Angel in the New Town, hanover Street. Scottish Fusion cuisine, plenty of haggis-incorporating dishes on the menu, sublime food, good service.

Offroading
    Free Member

checked out the Kitchin – too expensive 😐

Monster mash looks good.

Offroading
    Free Member

Urban Angel looks good too.

Thanks for the info folks.

proteus
    Free Member

Just about any restaurant in Edinburgh will have haggis.
    really? do you think that’s all we eat up here? deep fried mars bar for pudding too…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Also consider The Dome on George Street, I think they do a traditional haggis neeps and tatties. Very posh looking place but the price of food isn’t too bad and it’s an amazing place to see.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Peckham’s Downstairs in Bruntsfield will probably do it as they have it (MacSweens) upstairs, just go down the spiral staircase.

Though Howies in the same area might have it too but it just appears to be bastardised version such as Haggis Spring Rolls.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Oh, don’t be tempted to go into Montpelliers next door…it’s full of **** mainly.

Drac

No-one else in the world has it, it tastes very unlike most other things,

Except maybe white pudding and other sausage like things.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve never had any sausage which looked or tasted in any way similar to haggis. And white pudding is completely different.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Haggis with whisky sauce tatties and neeps…**** delicious!
    The last I had was in a pub in New Town, really dark little place even during the day. The venue in question seemed to be solely illuminated by lots and lots of candles and had many golfing and fishing things hanging from the ceiling. Probably a tourist trap to the connoisseurs, but a very enjoyable meal all the same.

druidh
    Free Member

Go to Winstons just off Corstorphine Road and ask for a haggis pie – with gravy. Lunch is best as you then have a few hours to digest it all.

yetidave
    Free Member

http://www.haggis-n-neeps.co.uk/

found at some outdoor events does great haggis rolls, with game chutney or caramalized onions from what I remember…

squarewheels
    Free Member

When ever I go home to Edinburgh, I head down to the Last Drop in the Grass Market and have haggis, neeps and tatties washed down with generous servings of 80/-

It’s not posh, but the food is reasonable, staff are friendly and the atmoshpere good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Haggis is cheap peasant food. Sheeps stomach filled with minced offal and oatmeal.
    I always laugh at place that advertise “traditional scottish cuisine” That will be salt fish, mutton, potatoes and oats then perhaps some shellfish with a few raspberries. Thats about yer lot for “traditional scottish cuisine”

Drac

I’ve never had any sausage which looked or tasted in any way similar to haggis.

Doesn’t mean they aren’t any, there’s also plenty other countries use a similar process for similar food products. Haggis is just another thing Scots claim to be their invention which they’ve just nicked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – really? Most countries have their way of using up the offal – but I have never seen anything similar to Haggis – go on then – name the similar items.

juan
    Free Member

The one I had on tuesday was yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drac

Actually your right would seem I’m mistaken Haggis is the only prepared in this manner but it’s not of Scottish origin seems to be back to the Romans again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – Good haggis ??’ is closed to new replies.