Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Edinburgh folks – Cammo to Kirkliston route
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

A bit of searching has suggested that the path behind Edinburgh airport runway was rideable once upon a time.

Having had a gander tonight (always trying to avoid riding the same old boring paths in Edinburgh) the section west of the railway line looks like it once was a reasonable path, but is presently pretty overgrown, and although I rode for a bit, I gave up eventually. I had hoped to link up with the road bridge you can see over the Almond.

Can anyone confirm if once upon a time it was possible to go all the way through to Kirkliston? I suspect that if it wasn’t summer (i.e. if the nettles and bushes weren’t so overgrown), and if enough people rode/walked it, it would be a nice wee CX/MTB link. Unfortunately I didn’t get as far as the Gogar Burn before giving up, and turning round. Worth persevering? Is there a usable path on the north side of the river which might be better?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I rode this route a couple of months ago and it was pretty decent. Not entirely sure of which is the north or south bank but I went along the side that was closest to the airport. Decent ride.

ojom
    Free Member

Used to ride this as a kid with my Dad. Went on it a few years ago with TJ but i seem to remember it gets to a dead end although it may be clear now.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ is your Dad??

That would explain a lot!

ojom
    Free Member

Silly – we all know Mustards dad is indeed Mumm-RaTJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was down that a few months ago. The main problem is crossing the gogar burn – if there is much water in it it is a bit of a wade or you have to dangle off the airport fence. However it is passable and I have ridden it – but its probably heavily vegitated at this time of year. I rode all the way to the gogar burn without too much hassle

Another option is to go north up the strip of woodland to the west of the army camp – again you have to cross a stream but there is a path once you get into the woodland

pixelmix
    Free Member

Boom. Thanks for the replies – think I’ll persevere then.

Sounds like it needs some tyres down it to make it rideable in summer. Will give it another bash some time.

Edit:- Thanks TJ. Will also check the north side at some point then too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pixelmix – go towards the army base from the old bridge over the almond nt 171 752 turn left along the road and follow it along to the next junction ( primrose drive?) tun left again and ride along to the end – you can then pick up tracks that lead along to the river on the north bank at nt 162 725 you can struggle over a ditch / stream and go into the strip of woodland running north south – there is a trail in it that leads up to the road – better done the other way probably. The trail is fairly faint at the lower end

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

TJ is your Dad??

That would explain a lot

You forgotten already grandpa?

AlasdairMc

I rode that trail a few months ago with the aforementioned water crossing coming as an unexpected obstacle. Great fun on a CX, although I did it from Kirkliston all the way down to Cramond then back on the road.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I would just like to stress that this thread is in no way linked to this story. I was sitting on my own sofa at 10pm. Honest guv.

AlasdairMc

There’s a good chance that’s the same one, the burn isn’t particularly well covered…

bigjim

I think that path got ruled out of the core paths plan because of airport security concerns!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh folks – Cammo to Kirkliston route’ is closed to new replies.