Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Edinburgh-ers – where can I get my beard shaved??
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get away without shaving for a couple of months now so I’ve cultivated a fairly thickish beard. However the time to shave it has arrived but I don’t have the tools at home to do the job so I was thinking about getting it done, err, professionally?

Any of you Edinburgh folk got experience of a good hot shave in Edinburgh? Found a few places via Google but you can’t beat a bit of STWer insight. Cheers.

MrGrim

Benny’s would be my recommendation. Use them fortnightly. Traditional barber, great service. Reasonably priced for the centre (ish) of town.

alfabus
    Free Member

However the time to shave it has arrived but I don’t have the tools at home to do the job so I was thinking about getting it done, err, professionally?

Man fail.

nealglover
    Free Member

You don’t have scissors and a razor ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Man fail.

This one is a tough call. Not having the tools for any particular job is a man fail… BUT, getting shaved by a barber scores you high gentleman points.

TooTall
    Free Member

A gentleman would not be sporting a beard.

alfabus
    Free Member

This one is a tough call

hmm, you are right, it is a tricky issue.

let’s run the numbers:

Ability to grow ‘thick’ beard +100
    Shuns personal grooming +10
    Lacking tools -100
    Asking advice on the internerd -20
    Brave enough to allow a recently met human near his neck with a knife +10

Looks like we’re about even on the man points.

Dave

edit: you will note that I am talking ‘MAN points’ here, rather than ‘gentleman points’, which would possibly elicit a different result.

legend
    Free Member

You forgot:

-50 for Edinburgh

MussEd
    Free Member

You forgot:

-50 for Edinburgh

How?

Prophet2
    Free Member

haha man fail indeed. However last time I grew a beard I shaved it off myself using a razor and sissors. That was a 3hr session I never want to go through again. So yes I don’t have the tools to do the job and I don’t want my tender face to suffer as a result. Hence a visit to the professionals!

Much like my bike skills I suppose. Crap tools and usually end up in the LBS when it gets complicated.

nealglover
    Free Member

3 hours !!

Mine normally takes about 10-15 mins on the scissors and 10 mins with a Razor.

It’s what could be classed as “thick” but without pictures I couldn’t possibly compare it to yours.

Either way three hours is bit much, I could shave a grizzly bear smooth in three hours 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

I could shave a grizzly bear smooth in three hours

now that, I would pay to see

SaxonRider

This gets my vote for thread of the month! 😀

But my suggestion would be not to shave.

Beards are cool. And with the right attitude, even gentlemanly.

Coyote
    Free Member

Remove it in stages allowing yourself all manner of facial hair experimentature.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Should I add I have two singlespeed bikes, is just more fuel to the fire of ridcule? I should state the the previous beard was a six month untreated growth that resulted in the aforementioned 3 hour marathon.

But nealglover, please let me know the next thim you go to shave a bear, I would very much like to see that!!

thepurist

You don’t have scissors and a razor ?

There’s always gaffer tape…

legend
    Free Member

MussEd – Member
    You forgot:
    -50 for Edinburgh
    How?
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Coz

LoCo
    Free Member

A gentleman would not be sporting a beard.

Gentlemen have whiskers.

Have you considered imac? 😯

globalti
    Free Member

This Wahl battery beard trimmer is perfect and devastatingly effective at clearing shrubbery:

Also works well on beavers, I’m told.

alfabus
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Have you considered imac?

owning an iMac would have to be -1000 man points… especially if it was one of those brighly coloured ones from a few years back.

Dave

LoCo
    Free Member

😆

DickBarton

Lazy bugger, do it yourself in the house…razor is fine, plenty hot water and soap and regularly clear the blade…

It is what a Man would do rather than flounce into a ‘shop’ and have someone else do it for them…

😉

globalti
    Free Member

My family once treated me to a full gentleman’s wet shave in a snooty local barber. It was a tedious boring ritual and the worst bit was when the barber put a hot towel on my face followed by a freezing one from a fridge – I nearly hit the flippin’ roof. He left my skin feeling much smoother than with my usual electric razor, which breaks the hairs off rather than cutting them, but he missed the bits on the points of my jaw, below my ears.

nealglover
    Free Member

But nealglover, please let me know the next thim you go to shave a bear, I would very much like to see that!!

No worries. I’ll let give you a shout.

It won’t be free however, a precedent has been set 😉

now that, I would pay to see

epicyclo

Quick spray with lighter fuel, flick with a match. Job done.

white101

I came back from sea after a 3 month patrol and sported 2 months worth of captain birdseye man fluff. It took me hours with a pair of nail scissors and a razor to chop down the foliage.
    Now I merely sport some over long stubble, much easier to manage.
    You can’t beat a good hot/wet shave though.

Prophet2
    Free Member

okay I’m going to STFU and hack it away tonight with scissors and my Gilette Fusion razor. And of course do it in such a way I can have a handle bar moustache at one point.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can come round to mine and borrow my trimmer.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Cynic-al, that sounds wrong on so many levels.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTFU!

funkmasterp

However the time to shave it has arrived but I don’t have the tools at home to do the job so I was thinking about getting it done, err, professionally?

There are only two types of people who don’t wear the beard, women and boys. 🙂

funkmasterp

Shuns personal grooming +10

this one always annoys me. A proper beard is a damned sight harder to look after than a clean shaven face. Constant trimming, thinning, keeping the neckline right, maintaining moisture to the face under the beard to avoid flaky pastry skin, the list goes on.

Clean shave…run a razor over part of your face every few days.

nealglover
    Free Member

A proper beard is a damned sight harder to look after than a clean shaven face. Constant trimming, thinning, keeping the neckline right, maintaining moisture to the face under the beard to avoid flaky pastry skin, the list goes on.

I Proper Beard[/b] doesn’t have any of those things done to it.

It’s grown wild and roams free.

funkmasterp

Touche!

chickenman

Well you’re not going to look much like the Prophet if you do that! 🙂
    The turkish barber next to the sadly departed Bike Chain would be ok; I’m assuming his shaving is better that his hair cutting, that is.

racefaceec90

i just use a disposable razor to shave off my beard (and it was very thick).

it took bloomin ages,but i did it (will have to do it again though,as i have another beard 😕

funkmasterp

Don’t do it raceface, embrace the beardedness!

alfabus
    Free Member

And of course do it in such a way I can have a handle bar moustache at one point.

POIDH

Prophet2
    Free Member

Handlebar…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Prophet2 – Member
    Handlebar…

A genuine offer, mate! – that’s a Zapata IIRC tho someone who cares more and has bookmarked “The Rules” will confirm or otherwise.

There’s no “proper” beard, plenty of try-hards with excessively preened “Craig David”s to “look at me, I am trying to look like a hobo who has not shaved for years” – well done, both, please try and grow beard for yourselves and not others.

chickenman – Member
    Well you’re not going to look much like the Prophet if you do that!
    The turkish barber next to the sadly departed Bike Chain

Have you tried its successor?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh-ers – where can I get my beard shaved??’ is closed to new replies.