• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by aP.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Edinburgh bike commuterists, route advice please…
  • rickmeister

Well, we are moving office in teh Gyle to one with showers, so I hope to get my bike out for the commute. Has to be a better option than parking on the bypass for an hour almost.

Need to get from Musselburgh to Edinburgh Parkway (nearest landmark), with the minimum amount of near death possible.

Know the bit from Muss to the canal head / Lothian road… I cant make my mind up about the rest. Canal to Hermiston and cut through ? Water of Leith to the skatepark and road from there ?

Any offers ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’d say along the canal to the back of tesco at hermiston gait, down the hill to edinburgh park station, cut through the underpass there and whichever route you need to take from there. Your other option has a cycle route for most of it, and again most of it is off road. I’d take the canal option though.

jamiep
    Free Member

I live at Tollcross and go the (tried and tested over 5 years) FASTEST (NOT SAFEST) route: Fountain Bridge, Dundee St, Henderson Ter, Gorgie Rd, right onto Fords Rd next to Saughton Park and cross Water of Leigh, Stenhouse Ave, left onto Stenhouse Drive, right at the roundabout, follow the cycle path along Stenhouse Dr / Broomhouse Dr

DougD

I use the canal from Marchmont to Aegon (just down from Edinburgh Park). Really like it, nice route (most of the way), tarmac too and in good condition (sometimes gets a bit overgrown though). Just got to mind out for the few tools that think fit to hoon along the path.

rickmeister

Thanks, will be having a try – out this week…

AlasdairMc

Water of Leith from Stockbridge to Murrayfield, then cross over the river at the ice rink. Back roads to Carrick Knowe golf course, old railway path from there, through Paddockholm and then Meadowhouse Road to Saughton Road North. Dovecot Road end to end, then cross through onto Broomhall Road. Take a right and follow it to the shops at Meadowplace Road. Cross that and then straight past South Gyle station. Follow the road there (Gogarloch something I think) until you reach the roundabout and the entrance into Edinburgh Park from there.

stanfree
    Free Member

Safest would be from yours to Newcraighall then Innocent cycle path then cross over Old Dalkeith Road to the Meadows to Tollcross and the water of Leith to Hermiston . Then as Glupton says cut over to Edinburgh Park / Gyle.
    Does this mean you will be becoming a Jeycore lycra clad roadie. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Have you tried gmaps and choosing the cycle route option. It’s only 11 miles.
    Edinburgh is such a small place – why do people drive everywhere?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh bike commuterists, route advice please…’ is closed to new replies.