Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Edinburgh area – Walk (possibly hill) and pub / tea shop?
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

A Dutch colleague of mine is staying Edinburgh for the weekend (with his wife). He has been a few times before and has done all the tourist stuff in Edinburgh / Stirling.

This time he is wanting to walk up a hill (not Arthurs Seat), he is fit and can read a map, but they are not ‘outdoors’ people in general, more tourists wanting to walk, for maybe 4 hours. They will have a hire car and are happy to travel.

Any ideas?

I was thinking Schiehallion and Pitlochry – but not sure if ‘Abigail’ will be hanging around… so maybe somewhere more sheltered? Possibly forested? Or a beach?

Any help / suggestions welcome…

EDIT – Doh – wrong forum… Don’t know how to change it? Can I report myself 🙄 Could someone else report me??

hels
    Free Member

Please not Schiehallion – I know its famous and all re the lines thing, but its a godawful slog, straight up a hill and down, huge big muddy tourist path and likely no view at the top at this time of year.

alishand

Dumyat in Stirling is a short, tourist friendly hill which will still get the heart rate up. If they were to get it on a clear day the views are absolutely stunning across the trossachs / Stirling one way, and down the valley to the forth Bridges on the other. Probably a 2 hour jaunt up and down – walking shoes suggested at this time of year!

Closer to Edinburgh I guess it would be the Pentlands, further away (but still reasonable) would be Ben Lomond et al in the Trossachs.

Weather ain’t looking too good for this weekend though, so options might be limited for a big day out.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If the weather is grim but they have waterproofs.

I have found the North Berwick to Gullane along the beach to be a quite nice walk for wet/windy weather if the winds right you get some nice waves.

Pick direction according to wind 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

Loch skeen. Nice drive down from Edinburgh and they can extend this route to do the high circuit of the loch if weather/time permits.

link

flowerpower
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

Schiehallion – I like, its fairly gentle, nice rock scrambly bit at the top to add some interest and awesome views – but interesting to know how others see it 🙂

Dumyat – Yeah – that would be an option, but I’ve not been up since the pylons and road went it – wasn’t sure how much that had affected the ‘atmosphere’ up there…

North Berwick and Grey Mares Tail – great calls – thank you, that was the kind of thing I had in mind 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drive down to Melrose Abbey, nice walk up the Eildon hills, and plenty places to eat in town.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Cobbler.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben A’an is a nicer walk than the cobbler, and a lot less driving from Edinburgh too. Only 1500ft, but a wee bit of a scramble at the top and awesome all round vista of the surrounding bigger boys.

Again, plenty places in Callander for a tasty reward.

alishand

Dumyat – Yeah – that would be an option, but I’ve not been up since the pylons and road went it – wasn’t sure how much that had affected the ‘atmosphere’ up there.

Yup, unfortunately the pylons have had a bit of an effect, but it depends which angle you tackle the Hill from. If going from Sheriffmuir then yes, you’ll walk through the building site, but if going from Logie Kirk you will avoid it.

The rest of the hill is unspoilt though, so its a minor distraction.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Oh… Ben A’an is a good call, and that makes me think that Ben Ledi would be a possibility (if clear) as well – Thank you

Cobbler is probably a bit of a drive. The Yat from Logie Kirk is still an option then, with lunch at Corri’s after.

Melrose area I don’t know, but I assume the Eildon hills are the three together? That would be good if the weather is as bad as it sounds as it is that bit further south and lower, the Abbey cold be a nice addition.

Thank you guys – these are great

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh area – Walk (possibly hill) and pub / tea shop?’ is closed to new replies.