• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Edge 900 is on its way
  • plop_pants
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Maybe

dirtyrider
    Free Member

to be released the day after the vector pedals

vaporware aint it at the moment

njee20
    Free Member

Not even made it to vapourware has it?! Some bloke down the pub has suggested it may be coming!

druidh
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting.

Haze

So differences between the 500 and 510 are basically it’s bigger, has a touch screen and transmits data in realtime via your smartphone?

I ask because I just took delivery of a 500 this morning…

FuzzyWuzzy

Same screen resolution and performance as the 800, meh they can keep it. Surely the cycling GPS device market must be big enough now for some real competition to emerge. In well over a year they’ve basically just enabled it to connect to a smartphone to do a couple of new things? Pish

weeble
    Free Member

No reason to change my 500 or 800 as far as I can see. Not really bothered about connecting to a smart phone or any of that

druidh
    Free Member

What additional features do you think they should add?

Top of my list would be properly scalable OS maps – but that would rely on the OS supplying them in the correct format. They’ve only just got around to a higher resolution version!

I currently use an Edge 705 for road riding and didn’t really see much advantage of upgrading to an 800. I guess this adds another, minor, feature into the mix.

zilog6128

niiiice, been waiting to see about this for ages.

will enjoy reading the dcrainmaker review, that guy is extremely thorough!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Great, hopefully that means I can afford the 800 now 🙂

michaelbowden

eightyeight – Member
    Great, hopefully that means I can afford the 800 now

Me too!

wwaswas

It should give you a countdown to the start of every Strava segement you approach and ‘ping’ when you reach the end.

traildog
    Free Member

I also fail to get excited by these. I love my 500, and have no desire to connect it to a phone and have something bigger with touch screen. My mate ‘upgraded’ his 705 to a 800 when the former died, and he’s telling me he prefers the 705 as it was clearer and more responsive.

Garmin could do with building more robust units and better software for analysing performance. IMHO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

An announcement that they were ditching standalone GPS’s and making a spartphone app, ant+ dongle and waterproof case.

Better screen (bigger and better resolution)
    Better processor
    Cheeper (edge 800/810 is S2 money, for £40 nokia features)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A garmin app that would allow me to plug my 500 into my iPad, and would stop me having to boot up my unbelievably slow laptop. Such a thing may already exist, please someone tell me it does!.

MSP

I had hoped they could have either increased screensize in the same formfactor, or decreased the formfactor for the same screensize.

I quite like the smart phone integration idea for uploading routes at the end of the day when I am touring or on holiday. But it’s certainly not a deal maker/breaker function. I was considering upgrading my 705 this year, but I am not sure this is enough in itself, unless I really have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Smart phones are just nowhere near in terms of battery life, so aren’t even worth considering for any all day cyclist (who wants gps functionality).

A garmin app that would allow me to plug my 500 into my iPad, and would stop me having to boot up my unbelievably slow laptop. Such a thing may already exist, please someone tell me it does!.

Sounds like the 510/810 will have that. There is an ant+ dongle for the iphone that should work with the 500 and ipad.

druidh
    Free Member

Does your iPad have Bluetooth or do you have a phone with Bluetooth? Either option would give you the ability to share data between Garmin and iPad. Or what about connecting via USB – does the iPad lack that option too?

There are lots of Smartphone apps out there for folk that want them – why would Garmin want to compete with them? Personally, if I’m out and about the phone is used for making calls and is usually safely ensconced on my person (keeping it warm in winter too).

MSP

I wonder if the iphone integration could work both ways, so the garmin GPS receiver could be used to improve the phones navigation in the car?

druidh
    Free Member

Why not just use the Garmin GPS in the car?

Clong
    Free Member

An announcement that they were ditching standalone GPS’s and making a spartphone app, ant+ dongle and waterproof case.

Interestingly, a mobile phone is already out there that does all that the 800 does. Sony Acro S will connect with ANT+, is waterproof and runs Garmin fit, which is a mobile version of Garmin connect. Its not available in the UK via official channels, but i imported one from Hong Kong and it can pretty much replace the garmin out right.

zilog6128

THe biggest advantage I can see is that if you’re touring, etc you can upload ride data to the net and download courses to follow just using a phone/tablet. That and the live tracking.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If I were buying now the 810’s ability to upload data without plugging into a PC would be nice but nowhere near worth upgrading from an 800 for.

MSP

Why not just use the Garmin GPS in the car?

I tried that with the 705 once, it works no where near as well as tomtom on the iphone. Plus I play music from the iphone at the same time, and it quietens the volume when announcing directions. I will admit I haven’t ever had problems with gps on the iphone, but have heard that it can happen in mountainous regions.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Edge 900 is on its way’ is closed to new replies.