Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PSA: Edge 800 + Explorer maps – £270 new
  • boxelder

at Sport pursuit – seems a good deal for those looking.

zilog6128

This has Discoverer (50k) not Explorer (which you have to buy separately). Still good value though. Trying to decide whether I really want/need it! Anyone know if you can use/convert Viewranger 25k maps with it?

EDIT: also wouldn’t want to buy this then have Garmin immediately release an updated version with a higher res screen (which has been rumoured for ages). Although I’m guessing they would have got that out for Chrimbo if it was on the cards?

Sandwich

I would think 1:50k would be enough on such a small screen. 1:25k will show too little of your surroundings to be useful. (Always carry a back up paper map and a compass kids). 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lso wouldn’t want to buy this then have Garmin immediately release an updated version with a higher res screen (which has been rumoured for ages). Although I’m guessing they would have got that out for Chrimbo if it was on the cards?

I would think 1:50k would be enough on such a small screen. 1:25k will show too little of your surroundings to be useful. (Always carry a back up paper map and a compass kids).

Depends how you try and use it. I doubt a higher res screen would be useful unless you made it 4″+ like a smartphone. It’s not really very useful for route planning (except on the road where it will do it automatically) so you tend to leave it zoomed in showing about a minutes worth of trail and a route you plotted on the computer. The maps are just like the 1:50k maps, so zooming in will just make the text/lines bigger, and the resolution of the maps seems to match the native resolution of the screen at a sensible zoom level.

haggis1978

OT but does anyone know where I can download explorer maps for the edge 800? Had a wee scout and can’t find anything but the discoverer maps. Am new to this clearly. Do I need to buy individual maps for areas or can I buy a UK wide version?

Cheers

ashfanman
    Free Member

Really know nothing about GPS, but my Dad is planning on getting one for hiking soon – would this be suitable for hiking, or is really only designed for cycling? If so, what would people suggest for hiking?

druidh
    Free Member

Dakota 20.

AA batteries (so no issues with recharging)
    Get it with full OS 1:50k

cp

A higher res screen on any future replacement isn’t really going to help much as the mapping is such a low res / high compression that there’s no more detail to show.

it works brilliantly in sunshine too. I’ve had mine a year and its been great. They are best used for following pre planned routes, but can ne used for freestyling it if need be.

That price is a damn site cheaper than the rumored 900 will be if it ever gets released.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For hiking I’d stick with paper maps, I only use the GPS for pinpointing trails where there’s scope for confusion (i.e. map says take the third on the left, the ground is 101 sheep trails) and to improve the flow of a ride rather than stopping every few hundred meters to figure out whats happening.

Walking you wouldn’t cover a side of the map quick enough for it to be an issue.

If he really wants a GPS there’s better than the 800 for hiking, it’s really a bike computer with navigation tools, not a mapping device. Heck, for walking an iPad is the same price and probably 1000x more useful.

druidh
    Free Member

The OS have just released higher-res mapping data, but I don’t know how long it will be before it filters onto handheld devices. What they really need to do is make it scaleable – so that text stays a constant size on the screen regardless of zoom level.

theflatboy
    Free Member

sold out – annoying! anyone seen any other bargains for these?

boxelder

CRC have them at a similar price in the sale.
    Memory map are offering a GPS with mapping installed – but aimed more at walkers – may be worth a look ashfanman

Memory map

zilog6128

CRC have them at a similar price in the sale.

Nope, is more expensive and doesn’t include any maps. One of the best bargains I’ve seen on SP so far.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

watch the halfords site, or go instore and see what price it is there, it’s often £300 but fluctuates, but register your card details on quidco and it gives 6% cash back.

theflatboy
    Free Member

cheers, i’ll take a look.

are there actually any decent alternatives to the 800 – i can’t see anything that looks comparable?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Edge 800 + Explorer maps – £270 new’ is closed to new replies.