Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Edge 705 Doing funny stuff……
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Did two rides yesterday, trying to upload them to connect.garmin.com but having problems. Neither ride shows up as a new ride, or in a list of all rides, so they don’t upload. Same happens if I download to the Garmin Training Centre software.

I’ve looked on the device, the last ride has been reset and it appears in my training history, with all the correct distances etc, so the data is there somewhere. But if I look on the device through Windows Explorer there isn’t a .tcx file for that ride in the History folder. There is a .tcx for the first ride of the day, but it won’t upload or show up in any of the upload dialogue either.

Anyone experienced anything like this? How can I recover yestrday’s ride and make sure it doesn’t happen again tonight?

Thanks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, mine’s done the same on my last ride. i wonder if it’s an issue with the new firmware. it’s happened to me before as well. lost a few days riding then suddenly after a few months it all re-appeared. very strange.

drop Garmin support an email (make sure you get garmin europe not usa), they are very helpful

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If I were to check for a firmware update and install one, would it wipe all the data from my device?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yes, deletes all your history

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Firmware is up to date, email sent to Customer Support. I tried to manually upload the file that is there, it failed, so I suspect it might be corrupt. Is it worth me deleting that file from the device in the hope that it’ll let the device sort itself out? I’m not bothered about the data from that file because it was just a road ride to the train station, but I’d like to get the route and HR data for the other ride.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can copy and paste the entire contents of the unit onto you hard drive as a backup then do a hard reset if you want (google garmin vulcan death grip)

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, that’s an option. Is the GPX folder where it stores the current ride data? I found a temp.gpx file there that I loaded to bike hike, it was a random route that I’d added as a Course about a year ago! Not sure why it was in there!

tonyd

I think the Garmin stores all of your history in .tcx format. .gpx is for routes that you want to put onto it.

I recently discovered the virtues of GPX over TCX for plotting and then navigating a route (rather than a course), in that it actually alerts you about turns. Yes, I’ve had this for about 3 years and only just worked that out 🙂

Anyone know how to convert TCX to GPX? Or rather how to extract the GPS data points from a TCX file and create a GPX from them? That would be handy for grabbing other peoples routes and following them.

tonyd

Oh, check the history folder for current/recent rides, they’ll all be in .tcx format.

Stu_N

There’s an occasional bug that stops the history transferring to PC; goes back quite a while (was an issue for me last summer anyway). It seems to only happen when I do a lot of rides without connecting to a PC.

If you connect to PC then go into the folder structure and delete the oldest folder in the “Laps” folder (I think this is in the “history” section, but I don’t have my Garmin in front of me) then the history and data for the subsequent rides will transfer. You loose the datapoints for the one ride that was stored in “laps”, but it holds total distance/ time/ kCal data for that somehow (that is using Training Center – haven’t used Connect).

For avoiding the bug, resetting the GPS before switching off the unit or connecting it to a PC seems to stop it happening if it’s the same bug I was getting (reset by holding lap for 3 seconds, not a hard reset!).

EDIT: Backing everyting up onto your hard drive before trying this isn’t a bad idea!

boblo
    Free Member

tonyd – Member
    Anyone know how to convert TCX to GPX?

Here you go.. = ACE:
    TCX Converter

BTW, there’s a bug in the GPX presentation. Sometimes, routes are displayed ‘as the crow flies’ rather than as plotted (i.e. roads are ignored). This doesn’t happen with TCX files though you don’t get turn by turn directions justa nice line (colour of your choice) to follow

tonyd

Great stuff, thanks boblo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Edge 705 Doing funny stuff……’ is closed to new replies.