Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Edge 500… Should I?
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the Edge 500 Red with cadence and heart rate, can anybody recommend it or suggest a better option?

It’s down to £182 at Handtec, if anyone knows any cheaper sources or voucher codes etc, let me know before I click “buy”!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Great tool for the road but don’t know of any deals.

jota180
    Free Member

I like mine, great bit of kit

orangeboy
    Free Member

Should be on offer just about anywhere as the new one 510 is due soon

Shibboleth
    Free Member

What will the difference be Orangeboy?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I use my Edge 500 daily for MTB, road, commuting, snowboarding – anything really. It has been faultless throughout. Bear in mind that it is quite a bit smaller and the battery lasts longer than the fancier models.

With a bit of prep work, the TCX courses it can even be used for navigating pretty well – I’ve cycled to Italy by road using only the Edge 500 course feature and it got me most of the way across the Trans Cambrian Way on the MTB (although I did resort to an OS map once or twice for that one).

jota180
    Free Member

What will the difference

Not a great deal in functionality

fixedwheel
    Free Member
    bacondoublechee
    Free Member

You can create a course on various sites (I like http://www.bikehike.co.uk/), start from scratch and plot the route or import someone elses GPX file. Add course points for left/right turns if on the road bike and the unit will beep and flash up Left/Right/Straight etc which is handy (make sure when saving the tcx to set the course point warning distance to 250m or something though!). Plug in the Garmin and save the TCX file to the New Files folder then unplug and turn the unit on. The route will be in the courses menu.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Right, I think I shall click “Buy”! Thanks for the advice gentlemen… Bacondouble, I’ll bookmark that site and have a play with that, sounds like belting advice 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Edge 500… Should I?’ is closed to new replies.