• This topic has 30 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gray.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Edge 1000… worthwhile upgrade?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got an Edge 800 but have the chance to get an Edge 1000 on airmiles. I can’t help but feel I’d be better off spending the miles on something else.

I don’t have a power meter but do use the mapping etc on my 800 a lot. Strava would be interesting but not sure how worthy it is in terms of “spending” on that bit of functionality. Does anyone who has had both have any opinions about whether it’s worth the upgrade?

njee20
    Free Member

I went from a 705 to a 1000 and love it. 800 is obviously more middle ground (and I wouldn’t bother from an 810), but I definitely rate mine. A friend has both and finds the 1000 markedly better.

rone

Yep – went from 800 to the 1000 taking my OS map with it.

Loads better; WiFi upload saves a lot of faff, much better screen, live Koms, glonass, loads more training features some of which you may not need.

Downsides ? Battery gets hammered a bit more. Phone connection doesn’t seem to work for me.

I was concerned initially it would be too big , but that’s never been an actual problem.

atlaz
    Free Member

With the battery is it the screen that hammers it or the BT? If the latter can it be switched off for long rides? I don’t think I’ve ever run out of battery on the 800 unless I’ve gone out on low charge.

njee20
    Free Member

I find I get about 6-7 hours riding time if I’m navigating, with Bluetooth active and speed, cadence and the Di2 connectivity – I’ve caning it!

Turning brightness down and turning off BT, Wifi etc, not navigating extends that, but few rides I Do are that long anyway.

roverpig

Yep – went from 800 to the 1000 taking my OS map with it.

Are you “allowed” to do that then? I thought the OS mapping was locked to a single device.

nickgti
    Free Member

Never had a Garmin before but went straight for the 1000 and never regretted it amazing bit of kit.

Rone is your phone and Iphone?

njee20
    Free Member

I seem to be in a comparatively small minority, but I think the OS maps are shit, and would far far rather use OSM as it comes bundled with. Indeed, that’s what I do.

imnotverygood

Another one from 800-1000. I do think it is miles better. Wifi download is good as is Strava stuff. I personally think it is worth the upgrade, but then I am easily pleased.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Just gone from 800 to 810 – was going to go 1000 but they released all the di2/strava stuff as an firmware update for the 810

So wasn’t sure what I’d gain by going to 1000 apart from large screen/resolution – which I’ve never complained about

From the dcrainmaker review of the 1000

I guess at the end of the day I’m just not sure why Garmin made such a device to begin with. To put it in perspective, there have been 137,122 comments posted to the blog thus far. Those comments have covered every conceivable (and non-conceivable) thing that someone could ever want a sports technology company to do. Many of those ‘suggestions’ directed specifically at Garmin. But at no point in those 137,122 comments did someone say:

“I really want an even bigger Garmin Edge that’s far more expensive than any previous unit!” -Said…nobody…ever.

njee20
    Free Member

The wifi is good. I’m glad I got the 1000 over the 810. It’s not life changing, but the flip side of the above is why would you get the 810? The 1000 isn’t that big. It’s smaller than the 705 in the useful dimensions – it’s much thinner.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Upgraded from 800 to 1000.

Pros
    Pre loaded map for road
    Better screen resolution
    Wifi connection
    Blue tooth connection
    Larger screen
    Non di2 user battery life seems to be same as 800. You can turn off bells and whistle and back light if you need more
    Cons
    New smaller bottom charging connection isn’t particularly welcome and can become loose and fiddly under unit. Wouldn’t work if you want to charge on the go from external battery. Cable would fall out unlike the 800 which as end connection

800 after five years still going strong

rone

[Quote]Are you “allowed” to do that then? I thought the OS mapping was locked to a single device. [/quote]

I’m pretty sure it’s locked to the card. Not the device as you can buy the card without a device.

rone

My phone is Android.

Also the battey is hammered mainly by showing the map first and foremost. And then more you have on the more it’s going to work. I.E having glonass+gps , Bluetooth and WiFi is going to drain more. WiFi is strange as if you enable it – it appears to be off once you start recording a ride which is a good feature but the reckon there is still a drain on the battery. Can generally get 8hrs on a charge so pretty good really. It starts diminishing if you start flicking the maps about though.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

My SSDs card, genuine product, works in my edge 800, 1000 and Oregon 650t. Have OS and Europe ones they all operate fine in all the devices.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Same here – it’s just card locked

atlaz
    Free Member

I pushed the order button. Anyone want to buy an Edge 800? 😉

gray

… If it’s cheap enough maybe…

mlpinto
    Free Member

Hi atlaz,

Just curious where / how did you redeem air miles for this? Just wondering if I can put mine to good use…

atlaz
    Free Member

I have loads of miles with Lufthansa and it’s on their worldshop site

br
    Free Member

Also interested in the 800, especially after hearing that the 1000 can’t manage a days riding…

BigCol
    Free Member

I went for the 1000, but have now sold it and gone back to the 810. It has a fab screen, but the main two things for me were battery life and capacitive screen.

I did a lot of controlled experiments on battery life. If you have it permanently on a data screen the battery life is not too bad – around 10 to 12 hours. If you leave it constantly on the OS map screen this reduced down to 5-6 hours. I like to use the map screen a lot, especially when riding abroad so this was a bit of an issue. Similar controlled trials on the 810 showed very little difference between ‘constant map’ and ‘constant data’ displayed, with both configurations consistently achieving in excess of any option on the 1000.

The other issue was the selection of a capacitive screen by garmin. It doesn’t like some gloves, and in the rain it can become extremely erratic – sometimes locking the device (i.e. stops responding to screen input until you unlock it) and other times difficult to get it to do what you wanted it to.

🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Not had those issues with the screen at all, I was impressed with how well it does work. If I’m doing more than 6 hours riding where I’ll also need to navigate (get more like 10 hours if not) then I’ll just use an external battery pack. Did the SDW with no issues like that.

njee20
    Free Member

I didn’t dispute that you’ve had those issues, just said I’ve not. Is the screen different to the 810 then? Resolution aside.

BigCol
    Free Member

Yes – the 810 is resistive so it responds to pressure so works fine with gloves etc, and doesn’t notice water. Was yours a later model? Maybe they improved something in the device or the firmware? There are videos of 1000s apparently working fine in the rain on youtube, but with some people this wasn’t the case….

njee20
    Free Member

Weird, no mine was a very early one (had it 18 months), but works perfectly with gloves, in the rain, covered in mud etc.

I did put one of those film screen protector things on, which may have had an effect I guess.

roverpig

Thanks for the information on the maps folks. I’ve got an 800 with (genuine) OS mapping on an SD card, so I guess that would slot straight into a newer Garmin unit and still work, which is good to know.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Thanks Atlazs. No miles left in my star alliance accounts… Just as well as I don’t really need the temptation.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d probably be looking for around 120 quid posted with the cable but no plug (the one I have is European). If anyone on this thread is interested, let me know. Also have a cadence/speed sensor *somewhere* I would be willing to throw in too for a tenner. Won’t be posted until the edge 1000 turns up obviously.

gray

Too much for me, ta. I’ve had a quick look on eBay and they do seem to go for that sort of amount. Not for me though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Edge 1000… worthwhile upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.