• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Edge 1000 – pants in the rain?
  • leffeboy

Looking to replace my 705 which is on its way out, rubber round buttons perished and very slow now. All I really need is a large screen and heart rate and the 1000 seems to fit will. The problem seems to be it can go a bit mad in the rain but all of that info. comes from back in 2014. How are folks who have a recent one getting on? Is it possible to use the screen in the rain or does it just lock out and you are stuck?

I know my phone is worse that useless once the screen gets wet so I’m not sure I really want to have another device that’s as bad

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a really early one, and it’s been faultless in rain. I did put one of those screen protector thingies on, dunno if that’s helped not screw the screen up when it’s wet, but I think it’s a great bit of kit.

I tend to wipe it with the heel of my hand before using it when the screen’s wet, but that’s so I can read it as much as anything!

Milkie
    Free Member

Used mine in torrential rain the other day and was very surprised it worked perfectly fine with gloves on and rain splashing all over the screen. The buttons are plastic, so they won’t perish.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    otsdr
    Free Member

I’ve had it lock the screen out once or twice for no reason, it wasn’t even raining. The remote will still work under these conditions, so I suppose it is worth it.

Just tried it out under the faucet, kind of works with the screen wet.

leffeboy

and that’s exactly what I needed to know – thanks 🙂
    It seemed to do everything that I needed (and more) apart from that. Battery life is reportedly not what is claimed but still seems to be way more than I ever need

thanks both (edit:all. Maybe the remote is a good backup)

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use a remote with my 810, I thought it was a stupid idea until I tried it (is it really that hard to swipe the screen with your finger) and now I really miss it when it’s not on the bike.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 1000 for over a year now in all sorts of conditions, the worst being conditions similar to a rain sodden Strada Bianca and obvz our rain deluge of Winters.

Been fine and dandy.

Not too sure what you mean about battery life? I’ve had route & TBT on at 50% screen brightness for over 7 hours riding.

There has been a recent set of upgrades for it and software flashes, so once it’s logged into Connect it’ll no doubt download them (the map upgrades have taken 4hrs)

dingleberry
    Free Member

I’ve had one a couple of months, and in that time I’ve been caught out in a few of huge downpours as well as light rain and it’s worked flawlessly. Almost too well for a Garmin… 😆 Also using a screen protector if that makes a difference.

Battery life’s been fine too. 3 hours today, with all the sensors and everything on, following a route and it’s down to 70%. I guess maybe some people are setting the backlight to stay on constantly – that’d kill the battery on anything.

njee20
    Free Member

Lots of stop start riding can flatten it – keeps the light turning on and off, so mountain bikers may have a skewed perception of battery life.

If doing a long (8 hour+) ride just use an external battery pack.

I have had the screen randomly lock itself a couple of times, not related to water, never worked out how it does it.

If you’ve got Di2, get the ANT+ adapter thing, then you can change the screen, stop start etc from the hoods, which is very exciting.

leffeboy

My 705 does 10hrs and although the 1000 claims 15 the reports seem to suggest about half that. 8 hrs is still good enough though

Liking the reviews here. I’m sold

njee20
    Free Member

I went from a 705 to a 1000 and haven’t noticed any real difference in battery life. I don’t make a habit of 8 hour rides though admittedly.

leffeboy

Do you find it redraws the map any faster? I found as the old street map git more detailed it started to get slower to redraw. Admittedly I was also trying a bit too lazy to compile my own maps with less detail 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, definitely. The whole unit is much quicker. It still struggles a little bit with the detail on full if you’re in London, but much more usable than the 705, the touchscreen is way easier to use than the joystick too.

otsdr
    Free Member

You can choose the level of detail (and, consequently, the redraw speed) in the settings for each profile on the 1000.

br
    Free Member

All day ride with an 810 working plus monitoring the HRM only gets through 50%.

njee20
    Free Member

As said, if you regularly ride for more than 8 hours just use a backup battery. I suspect very few do.

I’d rather have the better screen and functionality of the 1000.

fbk
    Free Member

2 problems I’ve had with mine (an early one), both relating to wet weather are the random locking of the screen and a complete freezing up of the altimeter – it would appear the little hole for it clogs up in shitty weather. As the 1000 solely relies on the barometer for altimeter readings, you get a flat or random profile which can only be adjusted post ride (using mapping software or Strava height correction).

Fantastic bit of kit otherwise and a huge improvement on my old 800 but very frustrating at the same time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Edge 1000 – pants in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.