Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Ed Oxley , The Chop
  • banks
    Free Member

Way more interesting than 99.9% of mountain bike ‘films’ with a load of dudes talking in made up words like gnarly and loamy and other such rubbish. Can’t stand bike vids these days they’re all the same. Dull.

Very true, nothing worse than watching some get ready for a ride in slo-mo or putting a bike a car/van, again in slo-mo.

neilthewheel

😆
    I loved it. I guess the motorbike will never be finished now though.

Bazz

I liked it, it’s rare that i watch any mountain bike video these days, they all seem a bit samey with big hucks and the like, if i watch one then i usually end up fast forwarding half of it, this one in on the other hand seemed to make the time fly by and it was over before i knew it.

hora
    Free Member

Not my ‘cup of tea’ but then I dont get the Hebden ‘hippy (?) Thing

edhornby

I thought it was good – unless you blurt out the graphics on the bike you’re gonna notice the brand and therefore you’ll assume a manufacturer bias. So the fact that it’s pointedly not about the new model but just about riding is a good thing

so if this isn’t what you wanted – what did you want and what would be in yours?

a lot of the comments remind me of people who go to the tate modern and diss the art with the comment ‘that’s not art I could do that’ even though they don’t actually make any art

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yep caught this on facefook this morning…
    Right up my street and a breath of fresh air ! Good to see respect for the 26“ hardtail too.

Thought about giving my Piglet the Ratlook for a while now, knew it would be long before we started seeing a fair few.

Drac

Not my ‘cup of tea’ but then I dont get the Hebden ‘hippy (?) Thing

I’m not sure Hippies are carnivores.

billyboy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy

Inbreds are unstable.

breadcrumb

I enjoyed it, I also want a didgeridoo now.

creaser
    Free Member

The mans got no style on a bike

twinklydave

Needs more slo-mo.

Slo-mo EVERYTHING, then we’re talking.

bluerob

I really enjoyed it, it took a while to figure out what on earth was going on with the trail horn and @GreatRock’s recent tweets suddenly made a lot more sense!

It goes to show just how dangerous riding a hardtail can be, and he’ll be missed.

krummond
    Free Member

Personally I like Ed’s latest video. There are so many ride videos out there that most things are covered. It makes a change to have something a bit more creative and different. Its more than just an mtb vid.

Pity his decapitation will mean he wont make any more 😉

philfive
    Free Member

I liked it and it’s good to see Accrington on TV that isn’t crime watch, I rode those steps tonight.

johnnygooner
    Free Member

I love this thread!!!

kimbers

i like it, very…

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Just made me want to ride about down steps in the dark 🙂 Who cares if some people think it’s ‘self indulgent’ Ed’s a good character.

Fluff66
    Free Member

No tail whips
    No 60 ft hucks
    No self obsessed tanned ripped blond dudes with slo-mo accents
    No “close up shots of nature”
    No done to death death metal soundtrack
    No done to death anti death metal sound track
    No voiceover w**kfest about some spiritual quest to go some place no other f**ker has ever been with a bike.

Don’t think it’ll go down very well in the US ….I loved it. 🙂

This is the antidote and I want more!

shermer75
    Free Member

Loved that, had a realy nice feel to it. Great stuff.

boxelder

If art is meant to polarize opinion then chapeau.
    It’s a like from me – especially the look on his bearded mug every time the horn sounds.

Lifer
    Free Member

Another like here, someone ragging a bike around in the woods is always good.

iolo
    Free Member

Each to their own.
    Really not my thing. Especially the all hail the shrine of that Chinese bike company / digeryy doo playing scene.
    Oh well, many will love it.

TooTall
    Free Member

Man with beard waxes lyrical about stuff not being as good as it used to be. Plays niche instrument. Rides niche bike in niche villages for niche people who moved there. Gets niche haircut but leaves beard alone.

I can see how he has trumped too many STW-ers with the nichefest there.

Oops – edited to add the obvious tattoos and their niche-ness.

_tom_
    Free Member

(it was a promo vid – just not sure what its promoting?)

niche bullshit that for some reason most of STW laps up, presumably.

grum
    Free Member

First section was a bit cringily smug (knowingly?) but then I enjoyed seeing my local trails filmed nicely, and then the bit at the end was funny.

From the title I was hoping the beard was coming off though.

niche bullshit that for some reason most of STW laps up, presumably.

Why so bitter? On One is just a cheap bike brand – good value if that’s what you’re after.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

From the title I was hoping the beard was coming off though.

^this, but I guess that was what we were intended to think.

crankman
    Free Member

I thought it was really good, bit different to the usual dull MTB vids. I thought the didgeridoo was excellent!

steel4real
    Free Member

Well I though it was kind of fun..

BUT…

1. I was disappointed he didn’t give that beard the chop.

2. I wouldn’t mind trying a little of whatever he’s been on !

Trekster

Liked it
    Liked the music
    Liked the bike rack
    Needs some lessons in grinder safety 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member

You mean grinder as in ‘Grindr’? That’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen on this forum for a while! 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thankfully a film that is not a “type” of film with no “messages”,no story to tell, or indulgence of vanities; just interesting stuff. Loved its pointless random incoherence and sudden turn into dark surrealism.

More filmmaking should be like this.

phil40
    Free Member

I thought it was great 🙂

Riding stuff I could actually see myself riding and enjoying, and getting weird towards the end was fun!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Definitely a Marmite film this, from the responses above. Anyway. I’m last, so my view is absolutely definitely right.

1) I’d rather hoped he’d get that stupid indescribably awful beard cut off.
    2) It was eye-rollingly self-indulgent and vanity massaging I’m-so-niche-oh-look-at-me clap pretty much all the way through.
    3) Rusty bikes are not cool. Every neglected garden across the land has one.
    4) The riding was awesomely dull to watch.
    5) I had to turn the sound off when the riding music came on.
    6) The bit at the end was inventive as far at MTB videos go, but then again it was quite self-indulgent and had this irritating knowing quality about it.

Generally not great entertainment, if that was what it was supposed to be.. 🙄

:and breathe!:

jaymoid

Haha I love that one short video can cause so much offence. I can’t wait for the next one.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hilarious thread! It’s great to cause strong opinions in the audience I guess. For me, I loved it, a little shady hobbit hole of insanity in the desert of slo-mo and dirt jumps. I particularly thought it was beautifully filmed. I am struggling to see how a film about a person can be criticized for being self indulgent… It’s not as it was an unfair reflection of his work and pastimes. Bring on the next one!

ianv
    Free Member

Much prefer this for something different and fun:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnw_oje1GhQ[/video]

Thought the cut was a bit crap to be honest.

globalti
    Free Member

Far too contrived and self-centred. If he really was involved in rebuilding a chopper it would have flowed together because he’d have been in the thick of the operations and would have showed some of that awkwardness that you get when you ask someone to stop in the middle of what they are doing and show it.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m a clean madman. And I have a beard.

[Disastronaut]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I liked it. Random, daft and dark. Really should play my didge a bit more.

Ed seems to be a thoroughly nice chap, i was planning on going on one of his skills course, but its a bit tricky if he’s been eaten.

I’ve sent the link to Bikerumur to post up, hopefully they will and we can get some Americans saying “huh?”

thepurist

Regis (ianv’s vid up there) is properly weird. A French, Elvis inspired version of Monday. Quality.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Ed Oxley , The Chop’ is closed to new replies.