Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ecofans
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Does anyone on here use one? I have a small 4kw stove and its fine but i would like to move the warm air about, ideally up the stairs and also into another room downstairs, is this likely to work or are they a gimmick?

Thanks fire-starting oracles

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve seen them in use and will get one when I have another stove. They move that hot air around rather well – and work from magic pixie input!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve not seen one but just had a quick look at a site selling them (for the not inconsiderable sum of £112) and they state a benefit of

Warm air is circulated around your space rather than rising to ceiling

– I presume they’re ignoring the fact that rising air sets up a convection current which itself moves air around the room….. or do these things do something I’m not aware of?

xcgb
    Free Member

Sharkbait
    thats what i was wondering, you can get them for around 90 but thats why i’m asking as its a still lot of dosh for a pixie fuelled toy!

Edukator
    Free Member

I found air stagnating in the top of the room with the stove in. I don’t think a fan would have changed that. I’ve knocked out the wall above the door so the air can circulate right up to ceiling height between the two rooms. It’ll be a while yet before I have to light up so I don’t know how much it’s improved circulation.

spokebloke
    Free Member

We’ve had one a couple of years and think it works well.
    Saying that, our living room is long and thin so the warm air needs a bit of a shove…

Also a good visual indicator of heat being produced.

Stoner
    Free Member

Also a good visual indicator of heat being produced.

the flames do it for me 😉

xcgb
    Free Member

Stoner
    I think spokebloke means the correct amount of heat for optimum efficiency!

Junkyard
    Free Member

everyone i know who has one raves about them but I am not convinced personally.

Stoner
    Free Member

ahem 😉

3.What temperature does the surface need to reach in order to operate?

The Ecofan will start to rotate once the base of the fan has reached a temperature of 150F (65C).

4.What is the recommended surface temperature of the stove?

The optimal running temperature of the Ecofan Origanal and Ecofan Airplus for woodstoves, is the same as the recommneded safe operating temperatures of wood stoves between 450F to 600F (205C to 345C). Relocate your Ecofan to a cooler spot if your stovetop exceeds 650F (345C). The Ecofan GSs optimal running temperature is between 150F to 300F (65C to 150C) Operating above the recommended temperature may be hazardous due to excessive blade speed. In order to prevent this, Caframo has fabricated an over speed protector that will activate and slow the speed of the blade down. The Ecofan GS should then be relocated to a cooler position where the over speed protector will be reset and protection will be in place.

http://www.woodburningstoveslimited.com/index.php?action=cms.details&itemid=273

xcgb
    Free Member

Stoner
    Oh OK then! 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

the flames do it for me

The paint blistering on the fire surround is my visual confirmation (yes really!)

sharkbait
    Free Member

The Ecofan GSs optimal running temperature is between 150F to 300F

Which is a little odd as the makers of my stove (Clearview) say that stoves work most efficiently at 300-450F 😐
    As £100 would buy me a good stack of logs and I don’t fancy the idea of a little fan taking up pan space on my stove – I’m out.

bedmaker

A man I know tested one in a very geeky fashion with thermometers around the house and conservatory as he was not convinced. Now he is. Apparently they are very effective.

spokebloke
    Free Member

the flames do it for me

Mine can be volcano hot without many flames at all.
    There’s a fair difference in rotor speed over the temperature range.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ecofans’ is closed to new replies.