Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eccentric hubs – tell me about them…
  • luket

So, I’ve got a lovely new vertical dropout frame to build up singlespeed, I could do with a new rear hub anyway and I’ve never got on very well with tensioners.

So an eccentric ENO disc hub sounds like the perfect solution. Do many folk have them? How do you get on with them?

The major unknown for me is mounting the brake caliper. I have heard that the matching caliper mount doesn’t fit on a lot of frames, and looking at my frame I think I can see why – the stay sits proud of the IS mount surface so I’m guessing such a big adapter might foul that. Is this others’ experience?

Also, I think I read the offset of the hub is about 7mm, so any two opposing hub positions are 14mm apart. 14mm sounds quite a big increase/decrease in BB height to me, re pedal strike and any other relevant geometry points. Is that noticeable?

amedias
    Free Member

Hi Luke (again)

BB height doesn’t change that much at all really, a few mm at the dropout doesn’t necessarily equate 1:1 with the same drop at the BB. Although it’s 14mm between position that only equates to a 7mm increase, or a 7mm decrease, and It’s really only a smidgen at each extreme of adjustment but don’t forget it doesn’t have to be 7mm up, or 7mm down, it can be 7mm forward/7mm backwards or combination as it rotates.

The disc mounting can be a faff, especially with some frames. I normally space a standard IS mount with washers and/or change rotor size.

If you want to have a nosey over mine then just give me a shout again 😉 I’m not using the eccentric disc mount adapter at the moment if you want to check fitment (I’ve never used it on my soul)

Del

like he said ^. +/- 14mm isn’t what you’ll see at the bb, or even at the hub. at the most it’ll be +/-3.5mm height wise at the hub end, unless you go batshit crazy ( this phrase is not used enough IMHO and i’m trying to promote it ) and go for the loop-the-loop approach to chain length adjustment.
    anyway – important things! yellowhammer in ‘that’ boozer, currently cooking sweet potato and and chorizo soup. eaten flapjack twice. some orangey chocolate too. quality rouge on the go, 😉 and that tom ravenscroft on’t wireless.
    HTH. 😀

porter_jamie

i made one once. well converted an old hope one. it was ok, mate uses it on his kona. it is qr. if i ever do it again i shall make it thru axle to i don’t worry so much about it breaking.

Burchy1
    Free Member

More important than this eccentric cocknockery, what frame is it?

Del

:yawn: have to ask?
    😀

luket

It’s Friday night. What are you all doing on the internet?

Yellowhammer? Pig or Locks?

Dave – it’s a lovely pale blue one. The colour is a bit more “acquired taste” than I expected.

Del

trigger’s mum’s bathroom blue? that’s an on-one colour! 😈
    double locks. it was ‘ok’. wouldn’t want to pay retail on it… 😉

luket

This colour is one that might benefit from a bit of use (!). Anyway, it’ll take me a good couple of weeks to build it up. As a minimum I’m short of a front wheel.

The eccentric hub does sound like a good idea. I think I’ll go for it next week and deal with brake mounting after.

I have, however, bought a reverb for it so it won’t entirely preclude the creative application of zip-ties.

toys19
    Free Member

20mm front wheel? I have one, formula hub with mavic..

luket

Built! My >1% stretched chain fits passably without a tensioner or eccentric bits. There’s a fair bit of slack in the chain but I don’t think as much as 1% which I estimate as 4mm of chainstay length.

Turned out I had a couple of hours to kill this evening so built the frame up with old forks as so no 20mm wheel needed yet but thanks Toys for the v kind offer.

And i think the duck egg blue looks good as a built up bike. I wasn’t sure about it straight out of the box.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eccentric hubs – tell me about them…’ is closed to new replies.