• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dh.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ebook reader – Kobo Wireless Ereader vs Kindle
  • dh
    Free Member

thinking of making sure i get something i want this xmas, so get myself something in other words…. and a wee cheap e-book reader has caught my eye.

seems to be clear cut decision between a kindle or kobo device – for £70 the kobo seems a bit of a steal, just wondering if anyone has compared the two or even maybe has either?

kobo

cynic-al
    Free Member

Played with both (Xmas present for mum), the basic kobo seemed ridiculously slow to me, the touchscreen one much better, and easier to use than the basic Kindle.

Proprietry nature of Kindle format may be a concern…

spudly1979
    Free Member

Not used the Kobo, but got a kindle and i love it.

Bought it really to go on holiday with, so i wasn’t lugging loads of books with me round the pool, and it was perfect for it – barely put it down all holiday.

Easy to use, plenty of space, you just don’t notice it when you’re using it, which i guess is the point really.

spudly1979
    Free Member

PS Cynic-al – what did you mean by the “proprietory nature”? (serious qs, not being sarky!)

dh
    Free Member

Arf – sorry Cougar I forgot that the STW collective might of already discussed…

cynic-al i’ve read that newer firmware for the kobo has helped the speed issue but it might be too late for you (or your mum).

spudly1979 – i think he means that the kindle doesn’t support EPUB format?

spudly1979
    Free Member

oh right, yeah it is a bit limited for formats. but if you get a library manager like calibre it’ll convert any epub book into the right format (mobi i think?)

Cougar

Arf – sorry Cougar I forgot that the STW collective might of already discussed…

Ah, we’ve discussed everything before (-: Just made me chuckle that it was the third time today.

Proprietry nature of Kindle format may be a concern…

Easy enough to convert between formats.

dh
    Free Member

Not much between them, same hardware etc….

Anyhoo – ebay should be awash with them by the time gran has farted her last sprout out I guess.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ebook reader – Kobo Wireless Ereader vs Kindle’ is closed to new replies.