Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ebikes on bridleways
  • scraggy
    Free Member

Heres my paranoid glimpse into the future.ebikes start selling like hot cakes to people who want to ride the trails without getting fit,the local red sock brigade are quick to realise that the bikes they already hate are actually motorised and hasten to point out that only non motorised vehicles are are permitted.then the authorities say they cant tell the difference between normal bikes and ebikes and decide to ban all bikes from bridleways,then we are all forced to ride in trail centres…….can anybody say why this cant actually happen?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious, but I’ll feed you and say it’s because –

1- You still have to be fit to ride them. You can’t go with no fitness, they are still a bike, it is still hard to get uphill. You just have some help.

2- They won’t go any faster downhill, the assistance stops when you reach downhill speeds (15mph ish).

3- Most walkers won’t be able to tell the difference.

4- They have such low power they won’t make any more erosion.

5- They are assisted, not out and out motorised. You have to work for the motor to work. Which isn’t the same as a motorised vehicle.

And a myriad more reasons. I suggest you go away, do some research, have a go on one and realise that they are actually not an issue at all and go worry about something else.

ninfan
    Free Member

Like being banned from footpaths has worked?

I think you’re just headed into the realms of wild extrapolation to be honest – Ebikes are as laid down by the government, if there’s a sudden influx of unrestricted ones come in then it won’t be long before they are stamped on, and the riders would be screwed with no insurance/no tax/no mot etc.

Drac

Yeah I think we’ve done this a few times now.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Stop the weed, it causes paranoia 😆

spawnofyorkshire

FFS not this again

scraggy
    Free Member

sorry everyone i’ll get me coat

medoramas
    Free Member

BTW, if the engine stops delivering power when you reach 15 mph, right? And from what I read in Cranked (the “Cube e-bikes” article) – the front chainring in microscopic, it has 15t or something like that. So how the hell can you ride more than 15mph on the flat? Even with 11t on the back, I’m pretty sure it would take some spinning… 😆

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

hows going to stop me?

lunge

I’ve ridden one, it was bloody brilliant and, when I’m older, not as fit and with no desire to chase that fitness I shall buy one and annoy all kinds of people on it. And I will love it too.

Bridleways? Pah, I’m going on the footpaths as I’ll claim it’s a disability scooter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not people who lack fitness who will be the next big problem for mountain biking, it’s people with no skill. Just wait until they fall off and call for the peak district to be levelled, smoothed and surfaced.

It’s already happening I tell thee!

roverpig

can anybody say why this cant actually happen?

Because my right to ride my bike where I like is enshrined in law: The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 🙂

Of course laws can be changed, but not easily and I’m not losing any sleep over the threat to that particular law from a few people on ebikes.

amedias
    Free Member

I hate people that say this but…

Have you tried using the search fucntion?

If, after reading the threads from the last few times we’ve done this you have any new thoughts or worries that haven’t yet been discussed then I’ll be back with interest 🙂

But in answer to your original question of

can anybody say why this cant actually happen?

because ‘people’

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ebikes on bridleways’ is closed to new replies.