Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ebikes and suspension query
  • Denis99
    Free Member

Ebikes are equipped with standard suspension components, they are not any different to a human propelled bike.

Given that the average full suspension ebike will be in the region of say 21 kilo, and a “normal” full suss bike will be say 13 kilo.

Is there scope for increasing the pressure settings for both the forks and rear shock?

When the same weight rider sits on either bike, the same pressure will yield the correct sag measurement.

But in practice, the ebike will have a greater mass hitting the same obstacle.

So, the sag may be correct in a static situation, but entirely different in the dynamic trail riding conditions?

Or am I overthinking this ?

timwillows
    Free Member

8kg on the bike sounds like typical rider weight variation tome. Might be distributed a little differently, but not much
    Unless you are planning to market bike specific suspension for a suitable premium?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

You are over thinking it.

7kg difference, that’s just the difference between a 12 stone rider or an 11 stone rider. (near enough)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

You are over thinking it.

Is this why Fox are offering an Ebike specific 36 that’s stiffer than a standard 36?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Go on, enlighten me.

How does the fork know the difference between a 21kg bike and a 79kg rider, or a 13kg bike and an 87kg rider?

Or could it be marketing bollocks?

Denis99
    Free Member

Umm, it’s not an insignificant difference though.

In terms of weight, you could say the major manufacturers have a window of settings, but the difference here is the mass and inertia of the impacts.

I’m not proposing an answer here, it just strikes me that the impact of a bike that weighs about 7 kilo more, will have an impact on the way the suspension works.

So, sitting on the bike will give sag values, but once it is in the trail the force and impact will be greater due to the added inertia?

Dunno, is this correct?

legend
    Free Member

Not in mountain biking, I simply won’t hear it!

Denis99
    Free Member

Thinking about it a bit more, albeit with an alcohol infused condition, the manufacturer of the fork or shock, will take a rider weight and bike in their algorithm in the design of the fork.

Hence, the air settings are a compromise.

But these settings will be determined on a normal mountain bike.

But, for an ebike with full suss this will be outside of the normal parameters by quite a margin, given a normal(ish) rider weight and normal(ish) bike weight.

Similar in principle to how sram have developed a new gear system (EX1) for the extra torque available from the battery assist in terms of drive systems.

Speaking without any real suspension knowledge, perhaps a larger air volume space would be the answer?

lesgrandepotato

Probably more scope for additional damping from the extra torque than any really need to increase the spring rate

tjagain

The riders weight moves around and you use your arms and legs as additional suspension. Ebike the weight is dead weight. I guess that makes a bit of a difference but not a huge amount

singlespeedstu

How does the fork know the difference between a 21kg bike and a 79kg rider, or a 13kg bike and an 87kg rider?

It doesn’t…
    It’s just stiffer and maybe a tad more weighty.

Here’s the real shocker. Some people are putting the Ebike fork on a none Ebike. 😛
    That must confuse it to ****.

wiggles
    Free Member

o on, enlighten me.

doesn`t work like that though does it, if the average rider weight is 80kg then on average the ebike + rider is still heavier.

Its not like only people who are light ride ebikes, probably the opposite if we are honest.

Denis99
    Free Member

Umm, I’m not your typical ebike rider then.

I’m about 81 kilo, I ride because I have a bit of a strength issue, I wouldn’t say all ebike riders are a bit heavier though.

I’m just more concerned about how the standard fork fits or operates on a heavier mass bike.

The impact on medium to large impacts must have a greater impact in terms of dynamics?

The compression / rebound control could be he answer here, but these settings are very rider dependent.

This is more of a conversation topic, than a defitive answer by the way.

I used to have a BMW R1100S, and can’t help thinking that an anti dive shock with a single shock absorber might be the answer here. The weight penalty on an ebike is not really an issue.

wiggles
    Free Member

wouldn’t say all ebike riders are a bit heavier though.

not all, some are average size weight but on average they are definitely on the larger end of the scale compared to an average of normal mtb riders. I spent the last few years selling them and that is just my own observation.

chvck
    Free Member

As far as I know my ebike (specialized levo fsr), the shock comes with a tune that’s geared more toward ebikes. It comes with the specialized autosag thing so it’s just got whatever psi that deems right. Dunno about the fork, think they just say to shove a couple more psi in it – mine is just at what feels good. I’m ~67kg.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ebikes and suspension query’ is closed to new replies.