Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • eBike review – Just the bad bits
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have a Scoitt eGenius and love it. It has allowed a fat, unfit cripple to ride with his mates like he used to when I was slim, fit and less broken. There are some issues I have had with it which I point out in this little clip.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVAC30GF-Zo[/video]

If anyone else has the same or similar bikes, do they get similar issues?

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve got a specialized levo and whilst I only flicked through I don’t think I have those issues really. The thing I can comment on is the plus tyres, I’m still not 100% on them. I’ve got 3″ purgatory grids on mine and theyre actually pretty robust and reasonably aggressive. I’ve not noticed them squirming or anything, I’m also coming to trust them more the more that I ride with them. I’d still quite like to try some normal tyres though.

Note: I live in mid wales, I ride on plenty of rock and not much proper mud.

somafunk

I couldn’t really make out what you were saying on the vid as the sound is a bit iffy but Ii’ll reply to your 7 concerns at the end.

Just to be contrary I have the model above yours and i’ve not had any problems with the Nobby Nic tyres, they’ve done 2500+ miles so far and still have plenty of life left in them but i don’t ride surfaced trail centres. I’ve found the plus sized tyres to be fantastic, they offer plenty of grip at the pressure i run them (anywhere from 10psi to 16psi). I only weigh 70g so i guess i’m quite light and can get away with lower pressures without too much squirming, although i have experienced it on fast/sweeping berms and compressions it has not become an issue – I’m waiting on my Nobby Nics to die before i fit something from the maxis plus sized range.

I’ve not had any issues with the placement of the computer and i’ve had a few pretty major crashes including one where the bike rolled/bounced down a large gully and the only damage was a bent rear disc rotor but it did take 3 of us and a rope to pull the bike back up the gully – they certainly aint light.

Not had a problem with mud build up at all but that is prob more to do with the type of soil/terrain i ride on and I’ve never had a problem with chain suck (it’s still on original chain/cassette/front cog after 2500+miles) the front cog chainguide/guards do need periodical cleaning out with a thin screwdriver but that’s not much of a problem to me as i tend to give the chain a wipe clean and relube every time i’ve been out.

The only issue i have had in 1 yr of ownership is the main drive/BB bearings went grumbly in the first 500 miles so Bosch sent me a new motor which took 10 mins to fit, apart from that it’s been fantastic and without the bike i wouldn’t have turned a pedal over the past year due to spinal damage.

Sorry 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Somafunk – I put the video up to see if other people suffered the same, not to attack so your feedback is welcome. I run at a svelte 100kg so maybe make the tyres squirm more. It really takes the edge off the ride for me and when you add the mud issues they are a big but fixable issue. My tyres are only 300 miles old and will probably last like yours bug I might change them early.

Computer placement just seems unnecessary. Still a small screen on the thumb shifter and ditch the big computer.

Do you get issues with chain slap on bumpy descents? I only really got this at Bike Park Wales on the rocky fast descents but it really was awful.

Denis99
    Free Member

I’ve got a Felt Lebowske e fat bike, had it for about 6 months now.

Covered 1,500 miles, ridden mainly around Afan and a few times at BPW.

Chain slap is there, but have covered the chain stay inside an old inner tube, twice now, as the chain rubs.

Tyres are different for me, having 26 x 4 Jumbo Jims, run at around 8 psi tubeless.
    Hardly ever look at the computer screen apart from the occasional check on the battery bars left.

Did have an intermittent problem with the bike cutting out, which was eventually tracked down to a faulty unit from the battery to the motor. Now resolved and works fine.

Likes brake pads, bit of a weight and mass to bring to a stop.
    Motor has got noticeably noisier over time though.

I like it a lot, but still ride a conventional non assisted bike(s), as I also like being under my own steam.
    Enables me to ride more often though.

somafunk

I can’t say I’ve noticed any issues with chain slap but the upper chainstay does have a few noticeable scuffs, I’ve upgraded to xtr mech n’ shifter but I doubt that makes any difference, I do oil the clutch cam mechanism every so often and it needs wee adjustments as the chain wears, I also shortened the original chain as it was 2 links too long.

Have a look at the Maxxis range of plus sized tyres, they’ve apparently got tougher sidewalls which should help, I’ll be fitting a pair of some kind when the mud hits my trails.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Chain stays wrapped in innertube is done.
    Different tyres is high on priority list but the current ones are only 300 miles old.

martymac

Ive seen a couple of 2017 cubes, they are fitted with the bosch motor, complete with ‘purion’ display, its much smaller than intuvia or nyon displays, and it sits at the left , replacing the thumb control.
    Ive retrofitted it to my bike (which came with nyon fitted) because i was worried about the (financial) cost of a minor spill.
    Much better, much neater, a lot easier to fit a light on the bars.
    I also replaced the nobby nic on the rear for a schwalbe rock razor, big improvement in the dry.
    A shorter stem was fitted, i prefer it.
    Next on the agenda is a smaller front sprocket, will let me use top gear on the speed limiter, instead of 8th gear, effectively giving me two lower gears at the other end.
    I have non e bikes too, and, like you I prefer the ride, but can’t go any great distance/or with my mates.

Andy

You were “slim, fit and less broken”? When was that? 1971? 😉

tjagain

If the tyres are squirming put more air in them? I simply can’t run ( on ordinary mtb tyres) the sorts of low pressures some people do because of the tyres squirming and rolling on the rim – I think a legacy of riding motorcycles where the squirmy feeling means a puncture to be followed by a crash.

stgeorge

I only weigh 70g so i guess i’m quite light

No, you are a borrower 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Marty – how easy was the computer swap? Photos or how to guide?

WipeOut
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve got a Scott E-Genius 910 since spring this year. Unfortunately illness has meant the only way I can ride with my friends is with assistance.

I went for the 29er over the plus size and I am happy I did. I intended to buy the plus size but it was sold out and the shop did me a very nice discount on the 29er. I have converted to tubeless and found the nobby nics to go a good tyre.

I’ve not broken any chains. However I was surprised, when I used my chain check tool, to see that it needed replacing at just 400 miles! Although I understand from my riding friends this is normal for 11 speed in bad weather conditions

I’ve not had a chain break, but I am careful to reduce pedal pressure when changing gear. I also avoid shifting more than one fear at a time. When it becomes available, and the price drops I will fit Srams ebime specific EX1

Agree with the comments regarding the computer placement. When it gets smashed in a crash I’ll get the smaller purion.

somafunk

I’ve not broken any chains. However I was surprised, when I used my chain check tool, to see that it needed replacing at just 400 miles!

My park chain tool showed a .75 wear rate at approx 500 miles as well, i guess the increased wear is due to the constant torque applied by the motor but I’m still running the original set-up, it changes gear fine so i’ll change the entire drivetrain n’ cables/housing when it starts to cause problems.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My broken chains were cause by the chain suck suddenly wrapping the chain around the front cog. I have now become fanatical about thoroughly cleaning and relubing the chain before every ride, even if I did the same when I put the bike away after the last ride.

martymac

WCA,
    Plug and play.
    You need to drop the motor out, there are guides on youtube.
    Then its a matter of removing the plug, and replacing with the new one.
    If you can replace a cassette you can manage this.
    Yoy dont lose recorded mileage or anything, thats all stored in the motor.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Were you underwater when you recorded the audio?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just the microphone on the laptop. Not trying to make a documentary 🙂

WipeOut
    Free Member

I’ve not experienced any chain suck issues, and I don’t give the chain any where near the attention you do.

Perhaps the protective casing isn’t in its correct place and is causing the issue?

Might be worth look.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It has been back to the shop a couple of times for them to check it out and they reckon it is all okay. I guess it is the super sticky Lordswood mud that is the issue.

I am tempted to just take an angle grinder to the protective plates…

nickc

you are Darth Vader and I claim my £5.00

martymac

Tbh, i reckon most of your problems come from the lack of clearance around the rear tyre, if you used a narrower rear tyre, more mud would fall through and (i am only guessing here!) stop clogging things up so much.
    Having had a look at my (non plus sized) tyres, i have a little more clearance than you and I haven’t had any problems.
    Admittedly, ive only done a few hundred miles on mine and don’t generally ride in a lot of mud.
    I did read a thread on one of the bosch ebike forums where an American guy who lives in the uk had the same issue re: chainwrap around the front sprocket.
    He was riding through a LOT of mud though.

WipeOut
    Free Member

I regularly ride in mud, bad mud, and I’ve had no issue. Perhaps the boost specification gives a different chain line? Or the 29er with more clearance deposits less mud in areas that could affect the chain?

martymac

Yes, it could be that, also, maybe mine is fine because I rarely ride in mud?
    I am only guessing here.
    EDIT: ive been looking for the forum where i saw that thread about the guy who suffered with the chainwrap, but i cant find it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

2.6 butcher grids are coming out soon, as used by Jared Graves on the EWS. They look perfect, just a tad bigger than a true 2.5 and decent sidewalls at a reasonable weight – aggressive tread and soft rubber to boot.

3 inch tyres with crappy tread are not a replacement for a good knobbly if you want grip.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am planning on changing the tyres for something narrower.

That, other than the stupid computer placing, is the main issue I think.

I am tempted to change the computer but at over £100 for the pleasure I will see if Scott respond with free tyres / computers.

I might try to jerry-rig something to give a chain line that is higher like the Hai-Bike which uses an extra cog above the chain stay. i think this will help both with mud getting onto the chain and chain stay clatter

WipeOut
    Free Member

The Hai-Bike system does look like a very good idea.

Haibike Chain Line

martymac

£100 for a purion, i wonder how much a 2nd hand intuvia would be worth? A head unit is around £80 new, plus the cradle is around £30, so £50-60?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yesterday I went for a ride around Lordswood. The ride was about 8 miles and I had totally cleaned and freshly oiled the small front cog before setting off. This is about half of the mud that I had to scrape out from between the front cog and the plate. I had cleaned the other half of it before I thought of keeping it to show you. At this point the chain was not snagging but being forced though that mud each time is not a good thing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PuFXZB]20161230_155834[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Also on the ride the Nobby Nics let me down again with a puncture. This time a cut in the carcass that was just too big to seal so I had to fit a tube. Could just be bad luck, the third example of bad luck with the tyre carcass either cutting, slitting or losing the nobbles.

It was on the ride back that I decided I wasn’t going to put up with them anymore and decided to buy something else when I got home. By the time I was home I had another puncture with a small thorn poking through the tyre.

Once home and defrosted I went onto Wiggle and ordered a pair of Maxxis Claw Pro XL which arrived today.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QEWeTs]20161230_160017[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

They both went onto the wheels easily and with a splash of laytex sealed first time air compressor is a real help) and having just checked a couple of hours later they are holding pressure.

I am hoping that the thicker tyre construction and the narrower (2.5″) tyres will remove some of my gripes. Who knows, they might even grip which will be the first time I have had any tyre grip since buying this bike. I will let you know after my next ride

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PuGd4D]20161230_155905[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘eBike review – Just the bad bits’ is closed to new replies.