Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Ebike lovers talk to me
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I have just been out on mine and I love it, I wouldn’t go back to a normal bike now, just a lot more fun and that’s why I ride, just my view

Lester
    Free Member

have a look at this first, im just about to go out on mine

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebike-haters-talk-to-me

milkyman
    Free Member

That’s why I started it, not a fan of the word “hate”
    rather try the love way, its all cycling innit

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alphabet

I love mine. It means I can ride again.

tomhoward

Love mine too, though it hasn’t replaced any of my 6 other ‘normal’ bikes, it kick started my getting fit again. It also means I can get from work to the trails (9 miles away each way) and back home a reasonable mount of time on an evening.

Speaking of getting fit again, it also means mstomhoward can come on training rides and either simply keep up or stay out front, giving me something to aim for.

Outside of training, I love what it does for technical singletrack climbs, you know the kinda jerky, not particularly flowy ones? Makes them more like technical descents. Who doesn’t like technical descents…

SaxonRider

its all cycling innit

Nope. No it isn’t.

Unless that’s the only way you can pedal. In which case, yes, it is. Otherwise, no, it isn’t.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Demo’d a Giant Full-E+ a couple of weeks back just to see what the fuss was about. It was an absolute hoot, but:
    Ridiculously heavy
    Noisy
    Battery life too short

Huge fun though. I mean proper giggling-to-myself-whilst-riding-along fun, and an absolute weapon on the descents, surprisingly nimble.

I won’t be buying one (for a few years at least!), and I’ve come away more convinced about the merits of plus-size tyres than electric motors. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it.

Lester
    Free Member

Nope. No it isn’t

Yes it is

ianbradbury

Don’t have one, but love my wife’s. She’s been unluckier than me (so far) with injuries and osteoarthritis, so currently ebike is the only way we can ride together. Hoping she’ll get fit enough again to use her ‘normal’ bike.

martymac

Tomhoward
    Your experience pretty much mirrors mine, after a year im finding im about 50/50 on whether I take my ebike or the cx bike.
    Previously, I couldn’t go any distance, so just didn’t bother.
    Plus my wife will come for a ride out, as she can keep up.
    Mostly positive from me, the main downside is battery life if used off road.

cozz
    Free Member

I love mine- hai bike fat six

but also enjoy my other bikes

was up to dalby red route yesterday – had a great time

gets me out more and further, 3 of my mates have bought hai bikes and a scott with bosch motor on

haters will reduce once they have a go on one –

it was the same on here 8 years ago when i posted a pic of my fat bike- loads of people telling me there was no point in them/ they won’t catch on/ etc etc. Now many of these people have one – or at least have had a go on one

I also remember on camera forums years ago, when people were saying digital cameras wouldn’t catch on, and that they would always use film camera’s etc = hoe many of them use NON digital camera’s now I wonder

and in 10 years you try selling a normal bike – you won’t be able to give them away

ps – any one want to buy qty 4 minolta dynax 500 camera bodies and lenses that take 135mm film ?

no? – didn’t think so !

tymbian
    Free Member

Love my Levo FSR Comp..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

ps – any one want to buy qty 4 minolta dynax 500 camera bodies and lenses that take 135mm film ?

No but you can give me a normal bike, I’ll be doing you a favour. I’m a medium and currently missing an mtb bike in the stable. Cheers! 😉

strawman
    Free Member

I had a go on my mates t’other day and it was a right giggle.loads of fun. I was also sucking gas cycling up a hill near Heywood, Rochdale and heard someone next to me say “I don’t want to embarass you son but I’m 83”. This old man had caught up to me on a steep long climb and after speaking was laughing too. Cheeky git.

strawman
    Free Member

The old man was called Harold. On an Ebike borrowed from leisure lakes in Bury. He was cool as. Onwards and upwards.

redstripe
    Free Member

Been using a Levo HT for a few months now, there’ll always be nay-sayers no doubt, don’t care, suits my circumstances & love it, as does everyone else who has had a go.

milkyman
    Free Member

Im curious why saxon thinks its not cycling, it seems it to me, I have had a lot of bikes last one was a bionicon which I thought was the last bike id own I liked it that much, I thought I would hate e bikes and my brother had one and was pecking my head to have a go on it, so I borrowed it for the weekend and thought it was such good fun, the option to make it as hard or as easy as you want, I run mine in eco for most of the time so I can get a work out and I get about 40 miles out of it in the peaks, I did ride to Blackpool last year on it last year which was 65 miles and never used a single bar of the battery, I have to say its been totally reliable and the only down side is the weight, but I am a fairly big fella so lifting it over gates is not usually a problem,

When I have ridden with a group im more than happy to ride in the pack or at the back but I do appreciate some people can be dicks, but as a bit of kit I just think they are brill

some one said to me that a few years ago people had to wind up windows up in cars but now most cars have electric windows, just make the job a bit easier, same with e mail few years ago letters were common now we just send an e mail because its quicker and easier, I think the same kind of things will apply to these bikes

There is always going to be people who like to punish them selves on the hills and that’s ok they are doing what they like to do, I like to ride my bike for fun and its a lot of fun, I ride more now than I have ever done,

jefinabox

I don’t have one, don’t really feel the need for one but i think they’re fantastic.

Ride further for the same effort: awesome.

Lester
    Free Member

riding an e bike is like watching a great film on tv, but fast forwarding through the adverts 🙂

oldtalent
    Free Member

Love my electric commuter. Gets? me to work without? ending up a sweaty mess. I know i shouldn’t, but i do enjoy cruising past the peasants on their manual bikes up hills.
    I need to demo a haribike or similar so i can get more runs in at Aston hill and similar.

strawman
    Free Member

Oldtalent, you remind me of my grandad who used to say there are too many peasants on the road

Neb

Do you think they’ll catch on with the road bike scene?

If not, why not?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Of course not.

If not, why not?

Because roadies aren’t wet lettuces

Neb

Because roadies aren’t wet lettuces

That made me chuckle!

I don’t think e-mtbs will replace normal mountain bikes, i think they’ll have their place with a certain type of person. I’m just a bit worried about the impact of those certain types of people on the access rights of the rest of us!

therag
    Free Member

I’ve only had a few minutes one, a Levo, absolutely loved it. I’ll be buying one in the next few years but not quite yet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There is definitely no place for them in road cycling; we all know how cheaters are viewed in road cycling circles.

I also think MTBers need to really distance themselves from E-bikes. The image of MTBing has taken a few hard hits over the last five to ten years; I honestly think the sport will never recover if it becomes too closely associated with E-bikes.

andy10011
    Free Member

You guys are so lazy

singlespeedstu

Not your best work there David.
    Though I’m glad you’re moving back to the more subtle approach.
    Less is more.

martymac

They will never catch on for road because even a slightly fit person can go faster than the speed limiter with ease.

nealglover
    Free Member

we all know how cheaters are viewed in road cycling circles.

Riding in big groups on TV usually.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Riding in big groups on TV usually.

😀

Neb

They will never catch on for road because even a slightly fit person can go faster than the speed limiter with ease.

Not around here they can’t!

They wouldn’t be welcome in the road bike scene because quite clearly, they aren’t road bikes.

For me, e-mtbs are not mountain bikes either. I can imagine they are great fun but there is a risk that it just aggravates the access issue with other users on mixed trails.

Trail centres, purpose built MTB venues, I’ve no problem with them at all, i bet they are ace fun.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If not, why not?

I don’t think they will because they’re probably too slow for club runs. Yes they’ll be faster up hills but likely to be too slow to keep up with the group on the flat.

burton
    Free Member

Only down side is the speed limiter, well that stops the motor helping ya at 15.5 mph .
    As I like to travel at about 16 mph you know your pedling the lump .. in one way great for your fitness 😳

nealglover
    Free Member

For me, e-mtbs are not mountain bikes either. I can imagine they are great fun but there is a risk that it just aggravates the access issue with other users on mixed trails.

Is there the same “risk” from fit riders riding faster than average too ?
    15mph isn’t that fast, plenty of riders doing that already without assistance, nobody seems to be telling them they are a risk to access rights.

Just a convenient stick to hit ebikes with, to justify your dislike ?

kelvin

I’ll do my stuck record bit… here we go again… I’d like to see ebikes in every home, and the roads (and non-roads) full of them, I love them and their potential to transform our country, but if we ignore the obvious dangers of mountain bikes and ebikes becoming synonymous with each other we might pay a high price…

I’m just a bit worried about the impact of those certain types of people on the access rights of the rest of us!

[quote]I can imagine they are great fun but there is a risk that it just aggravates the access issue with other users on mixed trails.[/quote]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

eBike Plus points

I can ride with my mates again 5 years after snapping my foot off.
    At the Southampton Bike Park it feels no different going down the trails but I can get my breath back riding back up again
    At Bike Park Wales I can get six ‘free’ uplifts in about the same time as those with tickets
    Most of the time I ride with minimum boost which means I still keep fit and can do 50 mile rides

eBike Minus Points
    Range anxiety after 45 miles
    People being nasty to me before they realise they are criticising a cripple when suddenly they become over the top nice
    Weighs a ton when lifting it over fences etc

kelvin

I can ride with my mates again 5 years after snapping my foot off.

[quote]Weighs a ton when lifting it over fences etc[/quote]

Mates are for helping with the heavy lifting… amoungst other things.

Ebikes can be life changing, and not just for obvious candidates like yourself.

burton
    Free Member

Fat unfit old glass back lard arse just getting back on the bike after a year off

I don’t give a toss if people hate them I’m back riding

milkyman
    Free Member

If it gets people out doors more that’s got to be good, I had a really few bad weeks with depression and it was hard work getting out of bed, I went to the doctors had a very long chat with him about going on medication, counselling etc.,

he asked me what I enjoyed doing told him I had been a life long mountain biker and he said well, I can give you pills and they will take a while to work and will be on them for a while, he said the best advice I can give is get out on your bike, not easy when your in the middle of depression but he said I promise you will feel better
    so I took his advice, I try and get out every day even for an hour and I haven’t felt this well (in my head) for a long time

if id had a normal bike I just wouldn’t have been able to drum up the motivation, its helped me a lot

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Ebike lovers talk to me’ is closed to new replies.