• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cozz.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • ebike for my wife recommendation?
  • oldnpastit

After trying a Scott (“E-sub tour?”), my wife says she’d like an ebike. Her ankle is messed up so it would help quite a bit (and would mean that I could then “justify” some new shiny stuff…).

She’s not looking for an full-on enduro steed, more something for pootling around town or slightly longer trips on road.

What’s good, and what should I avoid?

Thanks

oldfart

My wife has bought a Giant Dirt E and loves it 🙂 . She broke her leg a few years ago, then followed a knee replacement this gets her back to places she never thought she would go again on a bike . If you are in Somerset your wife is more than welcome to have a go.

cozz
    Free Member

I’m looking to get one for my Mrs too

winstanleys have some 20% off whyte electric bikes

hybrid types etc that I am looking at

or better still a hai bike – so same bach motor as my fat bike

drovercycles
    Free Member

Moustache are now our best-selling eBike brand and I have to say they are excellent.

Some clearance deals on 2016 models as they’ve just launched the 2017 range, which looks fantastic.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Kalkhoff are v good for that kind of thing

Also be asking on pedelecs forum

As for you capitalising on yr wife’s injury to buy shiny stuff for you (dosh which could buy her a better ebike?) – don’t know whether to doff cap or hoof slats!

houndlegs
    Free Member

Got chatting to a lady on an Evans ebike
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-ion-2017-women-s-electric-bike-EV267145
    I must admit, it looked great up close, and by eck it went some.
    She was chuffed to bits with it, out riding 4 or 5 times a week.

neilthewheel

An ebike for your wife? Sounds like a fair swap.

spacemonkey

Am also in the same boat as the missus wants to get out on the trails – and maybe some roads – with minimal fuss. Watching curiously.

martymac

My wife has a cube reaction hardtail, she loves it, she can go anywhere a normal bike can go, and she’s never had a problem with battery range.
    Ive also used it, to ride home after a 12hr shift at work, 33 miles to get home, I managed it just fine, wearing shirt, tie, dress trousers and shoes, no special cycle clothing at all.
    I went camping on it, rack and panniers fully loaded, did 35 miles that trip on hilly terrain.
    We’ve never used more than half the battery, its worth mentioning that I weigh 20 stone.
    The cube bikes use the bosch motor, it is brilliant.
    My wife likes hers so much that she offered to buy one for me, i was happy to accept.
    Ive probably ridden more in the last six months than i have in years, and im sure many other people will tell you the same thing.

cozz
    Free Member

I understand that martymac – so true

tjagain

Bosch motor for a full build. sunstar so3 for an add on

TiRed

Kalkhoff Agattu. Should be able to source used from 50 cycles. Simply the best E-bike for the urban rider you are looking for. I’ve ridden one, and it was excellent. Never heard a bad word against them. Absolutely recommended.

rOcKeTdOg

Got a cube reaction HT demo in the shop, i must say it’s a lot of fun, everyone who tries it comes back smiling & we’ve sold quite a few

convert

Another vote for Moustache. My mum has a Lundi 26 and for the type of bike it is I think it’s great. We also have a Kalkhoff in the family which is few years old now (which is a lot in the E part of the bike’s technology) and whilst their bikes are well put together the Moustache is just as good on that score but the styling in better imho.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like the look of the Moustache Lundi for local trips etc.

Quick Q – What’s with the giant tubing on the Moustache? Seems weird that the battery is mounted on a rear rack yet the downtube is similar in diameter to the size of an integrated battery setup ie Spesh Turbo?

convert

It’s not that big in reality. It’s bigger than a few dutch style bikes but it’s mainly just a different shape – with no top tube it needs to be stiff. Internal cable routing too.

smokey_jo

OK the better half has a perfectly good 26er Specialized in the shed which hasn’t seen daylight for a couple of years. All of the components are high end and with little use.

She won’t come out riding with me very often as she feels like she’s holding me back and gets tired quickly. I’m thinking a conversion to an e-bike might be an option.

Are any manufacturers supplying frame, battery and motor kits yet or are only full builds available.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Quick Q – What’s with the giant tubing on the Moustache? Seems weird that the battery is mounted on a rear rack yet the downtube is similar in diameter to the size of an integrated battery setup ie Spesh Turbo?

Bigger diameter tubes are stiffer and stronger. The downtube the Lundi doesn’t have much in the way of reinforcement so is big and boxy to give it the required rigidity. We’ve got some cutouts from some of the frames and it’s interesting to see the level of engineering which goes into them. It’s noticeable (at least, we’ve convinced ourselves it is!) in the weight and ride quality of the bikes.

Interestingly some of their 2017 MTBs do have integrated batteries in the downtube.

BTW we have a red Lundi ex-demo going cheap(er) if anyone is interested in one.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Are any manufacturers supplying frame, battery and motor kits yet or are only full builds available.

Only full builds as far as I’m aware but maybe look at an entry-level build which you could then upgrade the components on by swapping across?

There are a few Moustache hardtails in XS (the only size which uses a 26″ fork/front wheel) on clearance offers if you wanted to explore that as an option. Would suit riders up to about 5’0″ tall. (Also some higher-end full sussers in S and M but those have 27.5″ or 29″ front wheels and forks and are specced with better kit to begin with anyway).

smokey_jo

Well a small frame is definitely required and maybe 26+ instead of 27.5 could be do-able…

Do the entry level builds have the same motors and batteries as the good stuff?

cozz
    Free Member

had a ride on a raleigh strata this eve

Di2 alfine, changes gear automatically and its quick, just nipped down the road, clocked over 50 km/h

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ebike for my wife recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.