Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • EBC Manchester – Closing
  • windowshopper
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for a bike on order with them. One of their staff just called to update me but said that they have just learned that the store will be closing, probably in about a week.

Only about a year ago they were talking about investing in the store more heavily. I’ve always found them helpful and have bought a few bikes from them (usually for the kids). Pretty sad for them.

🙁

prettygreenparrot

Is this the store on the border of Rusholme?

itlab
    Free Member

I’ve just picked a bike up from them. They will be missed. Although I guess I’m not going to get my 6 week service on it.

They were one of the few good sized shop in Manchester that wasn’t an Evans/Halfords.

This year hasn’t been kind to south Manchester and surrounding areas independants.

Tom royals, then freeride cycles, and now ebc

simondbarnes

Always rubbish when bike shops close down 🙁

househusband

That’s two they’ve closed this year isn’t it..?

windowshopper
    Free Member

@prettygreenparrot Yes, that’s the one.

@househusband Yes, I believe the Sheffield store closed recently.

househusband

@househusband Yes, I believe the Sheffield store closed recently.

Sad times. Too much, too soon; expanded too quickly I wonder?

itlab
    Free Member

The only people who will really know are ebc management. But if I had to guess I’d say it’s probably a mix of the same issues at all the other shops.
    getting squeezed on prices by the distributors vs what crc can sell at
    Rent increases.
    minimum/living wage increases.
    Increases in cost on there own brand bikes with the drop of the pound

All in all it doesn’t look good and I struggle to see how local bike shops can make a profit long term (I know ebc arnt local but they are still small fry compared to Halfords or crc)

hora
    Free Member

I’ve rarely been to EBC in Manchester in the past few years, I regularly visit Evans though. They just seem to have stock when you needed it. EBC had lots of bikes for sale but for me it was light on everything else.

I feel for the staff. Hope they find new jobs v.soon.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

24 years ago I bought my first proper bike from them. Those days they had a great catalogue and were reasonably cheap. I hardly ever go nowadays, wasted so many trips into Edinburgh to find they didn’t have what I wanted. Tyres for example, very poor selection for such a big shop, no medium sizes for the clothes I was looking at. Also their website was pretty poor, it may be better now but I’ve given up looking at it. The last two things I’ve bought I’ve used Halfords, price matched, BC discount and click and collect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘EBC Manchester – Closing’ is closed to new replies.