Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • EBB Problem
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a problem with the EBB on a GT Peace SS.

One of the bolts that adjusts the EBB is spinning freely in the frame. It won’t screw in, and it won’t screw out. I cannot withdraw the EBB from the frame, as the position of the bolt prevents lateral movement. I have tried supergluing a hex key into the bolt to pull it upwards as I unscrew, but this has been unsuccessful.

What next?

wwaswas

pillar drill and drill the inside of the bolt out, mole grips on what’s left

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Unfortunately the bolt will just spin. The edge of the bolt is in a ‘shroud’ – kind of sunk into a recess. Not looking good. Hard to remove the BB from the EBB too. It all just spins…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rp16v
    Free Member

buy a sanderson 😆
    iv heard these are quite prone to problems, when the bb is out is it hollowed out or a solid insert? may be some access in there.

sl2000

Hard to remove the BB from the EBB too. It all just spins…

Screw the other EBB bolt in to lock the EBB so you can withdraw the BB. Or does the EBB not have a hole you can stick something (like a screwdriver) in to stop it rotating?

Not sure how to help with the other bolt. Even if you get it out, it sounds like you’ll be in a bit of bother with the spinning shroud when you come to put in a new bolt.

epicyclo

TroutWrestler – Member
    Unfortunately the bolt will just spin…

Drill a very small hole at the edge of the thread and do another on the opposite diameter. (Try to get it equal on the screw and the thread.) Pop a couple of pins in the same diameter as the drill bit. Breaking up the drill bit will give you some pins 🙂

That will stop the screw rotating while you drill out the guts of the screw. A bit of manipulation should then let you break the screw up.

Then you have the option of getting an insert in the thread, or simply enlarge the hole and tap it out to the next size.

boblo
    Free Member

Does the set screw go right through a threaded hole on the other side of the EBB shell? If so, wind in another set screw from the opposite side as you try to wind out the freely spinning one. You need to ‘encourage’ the faulty set screw back onto its threads. A bit of light ‘positive pressure’ pushing it out usually sorts this when the threads are knacked.

Once its out, you’ll need to check if it’s the set screw that’s fubard or the threaded part of the EBB. If it’s the set screw – new one, easy. If it’s the EBB, hmmm, repair time. Or, you could use an over long set screw and a nut on the end of it to tighten it all up… Bodgetastic 🙂

rp16v
    Free Member

another option remove the one that will actually come out alltogether get someone to apply pressure on the cranks pushing against the stuck bolt and try undoing at the same time it might give it a kick back into the threads

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Update:

I have managed to remove the EBB via a brute force method. This has left a groove of about 1.5 mm where the EBB was forced past the in-situ bolt. The damage is so slight it isn’t an issue.

I now have the EBB out, but the bolt is now still through the frame. The threads on the bolt are clearly stuffed, but I think the frame is OK. The middle of the bolt threads are gone, that’s why it spins, but I can’t get it to ‘bite’ on the lower threads. There is about 1.5mm of thread showing inside the BB shell.

I’ve tried a variety of levers to lever ‘up’ on the bottom of the bolt in the BB shell whilst trying to unscrew, but have had a spectacular lack of success.

I have never encountered a problem like this before, and I’m stumped.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaah, sounds like yours is the BB shell type where the set screw ends tighten into the eccentric shell? Obviously this means getting to the end of the set screw is going to be difficult as it will be within the BB shell.

Could you clamp a piece of wood across the inside of the shell picking up the end of the set screw whilst turning away on the cap? It won’t need much to get it started.

Failing that, I’d get a bike shop to drill it out.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few G-clamp bodges, but nothing has worked yet. I reckon there’s a total bald zone on the bolt, with mashed up thread stopping re-engagement.

singlespeedstu

Can you not just cut the end of the bolt off inside the shell?

boblo
    Free Member

Sounds like it’ll need drilling out then. I’d get a bike shop or frame builder to do it in case the bit ‘runs off’…..

epicyclo

Try dribbling some epoxy down the thread. Once it’s set then you should be able to drill the screw out. (Take care to keep the drill bit well oiled so it doesn’t get hot and melt the epoxy.)

You’re going to have to rethread the BB or put in an insert anyway.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Due to an expecting wife, this has been on the back burner. One of the technicians at work has managed to remove the duff bolt. Seemingly the threads in the frame are OK, so I’ll reassemble at some point and see how we go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘EBB Problem’ is closed to new replies.