Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Ebay…just…aghhhhhhhhhhh
  • martinhutch

I just sold a bike to someone who has 100% positive feedback and has been a member since 2008. He’s offered to pay via PayPal and collect the bike a week tomorrow, so is this thread making me paranoid that something is not quite right?

I’m sure he’s fine, but if he’s coming to collect after paying via paypal, you may have no proof that he actually collected it if he later opens a dispute.

If he paid a small deposit via paypal to secure it, then cash on collection, all should be well!

avdave2

Photo of him collecting bike might just be worthwhile.

Pembo
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the suggestions.

ricky1
    Free Member

Make out a receipt and make him sign it and make a carbon copy,even if it sais 100% feedback to and check through their feedback history,you will be surprised god probably have negative feedback…….try it.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have refunded people if they have paid by Paypal and are collecting. They probably are not out to shaft you, but if they are, then you’re shafted.

Cash, or PPGift if they are worried about walking about with wads of cash, on collection at all times.

tom200

I recently was selling a broken hoover 99p collection only. I had someone ask if I would post it to Essex 250miles away, when I said no I got a torrent of abuse and was told I was a complete idiot by selling something as collection only, they said ebay was only for stuff that was listed nationally and that they would be reporting me for breaking the rules! A quick check of their items for sale revealed they had 20 plus auctions on collection only! I reported them for the abuse they sent me an heard nothing back from ebay.

It seems to be a few idiots getting away with behaviour that is unacceptable that encourages other people to follow suit. I wouldn’t mind if it didn’t cost so much to sell the stuff on ebay.

Jamie
    Free Member

eBay’s business plan.

1. Take money
    2. Not give a ****.
    3. Profit.

charliemort

@ donks – the seller can’t bid it up though – he could get a mate to I suppose but not if you bid at last minute

say item is at £50 and you are willing to pay £200

put your bid of £200 in at last minute (actually I’d bid £201 just in case someone had same idea)

you may get it for £50, or somewhere between £50 and £201 if someone else has bid, or miss out if someone else has bid higher..

kayak23

Regarding just bidding the highest you want to pay, you have to watch that too. I was(I believe) scammed withthatone once.

I was bidding on a bmx, £100 was my limit so I put my £100 bid on. At the point of my bid, the bidding was at around £35. I sat and kept an eye on the auction in it’s last hour. The amount started to climb, and climb, and climb, in small increments.

It carried on going and went up to about £101. True to my intention, I had been outbid so I left the auction alone and started bidding on a second choice bmx I had seen. I went on to win this second bmx.

Going to my emails after, I noticed an email telling me that I had won the first auction. Reason being that the winning bid had been mutually retracted and so it automatically goes back to the next highest bidder….me.

This is also a known scam I found out. Sellers have dual accounts or get mates to bid in small increments higher until they find the highest real bidder. They then mutually withdraw that bid and it’s back to the real bidder at the maximum they were willing to go to.

I complained, told eBay , threatened the seller etc and eventually got him to withdraw my winning bid .

I hate eBay(people)
    👿

Frodo

Good News Story!!!

Just sold my car on ebay. The buyer collected tonight. I was a little apprehensive as when one potential buyer came over to look at the car he came with 3 mates and tried to coerce me into selling for £3000 when he had only brought £2800 in cash (Buy it now price £4200).

I then ignored any messages to see the car, the car sold for £4,556.01 at auction and that is exactly what I got in cash (even the penny!).

There are good ebayers out there!

(which is just as well as I fixed a puncture today before selling the car as a gesture of good will – Karma!)

kayak23

There are good ebayers out there!

There are. I sold my lovely Teac twin tape separate for 99p a while back. The bloke collected and gave me £1, said to keep the change…
    Warms the heart stuff like that… 😉

convert

Regarding just bidding the highest you want to pay, you have to watch that too. I was(I believe) scammed withthatone once.

I was bidding on a bmx, £100 was my limit so I put my £100 bid on. At the point of my bid, the bidding was at around £35. I sat and kept an eye on the auction in it’s last hour. The amount started to climb, and climb, and climb, in small increments.

It carried on going and went up to about £101. True to my intention, I had been outbid so I left the auction alone and started bidding on a second choice bmx I had seen. I went on to win this second bmx.

Going to my emails after, I noticed an email telling me that I had won the first auction. Reason being that the winning bid had been mutually retracted and so it automatically goes back to the next highest bidder….me.

This is also a known scam I found out. Sellers have dual accounts or get mates to bid in small increments higher until they find the highest real bidder. They then mutually withdraw that bid and it’s back to the real bidder at the maximum they were willing to go to.

I complained, told eBay , threatened the seller etc and eventually got him to withdraw my winning bid .

I hate eBay(people)

First rule of ebay – bid late and bid once. Sadly you failed on the first part.

cheers_drive

I’ve sold bike stuff on ebay when it hasn’t got any interest on here, never had any issues. I only bother if I’m sure it will go for over £20 though.
    Mostly buy from ebay traders now, good for getting obscure stuff.

oldgit
    Free Member

Here we go again. put a decent bid in on something. Says payment method and has the Paypal wording and logo next to it, this I assume meant they accepted Paypal. Then a re read says Cash only at the bottom.
    Bum.
    Can;t seem to retract my bid.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Ebay…just…aghhhhhhhhhhh’ is closed to new replies.