Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ebay….Bad buys and sellers ! Whats your story ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

cars for me !

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Bought a set of one piece bike leathers. The description was a bit vague but thought they would be ok.
    Got them cheap for what they are but the bloke must have been huuuuuuge-make me look like a sumo!!!!!
    Going to wait til March and put them back on and hopefully get my money back.
    Cheers
    Steve

DezB
    Free Member

None really. Have bought tons of stuff.

Years ago a seller sold a “new” minidisc player and it turned up with battery acid having leaked inside. They left me negative feedback cos I complained and left them neg, but that’s about it.

[edit] oh yeah, I was so pissed off about this at the time that I set up a fake account and won some of their more pricey auctions, including a quad bike! 😳

joao3v16
    Free Member

cars for me !

That’s a very, very short story …

tomaso
    Free Member

I sold a Cannondale touring frame on fleabay which I described as useable but battered and had even given it a good clean to check it over only to be told by the buyer it was cracked on the downtube/headtube junction. The photographic proof resulted in an instant refund as the frame was junky. Genuine mistake by me but its hard not to seem like a fraudlant scam artist when its through the faceless internets.

I’ve had serial whingers as buyers who in my experience its easiest just to offer a partial refund but the worst went to dispute and I won :mrgreen: I sold an old Karrimor cycling jacket with a a zip I said worked sometimes and sometimes didn’t – it sold for about £10 and the guy complained that the zip didn’t work!

I’ve not bought cars and motorbikes when they were far worse than the description in the ad said or there were serious faults not mentioned. It tends to result in a fairly nasty stand off but it is you last real chance of getting out of a bad deal cleanly.

ski
    Free Member

None paying buyers & not being able to neg rate them is just wrong!

Had 3 this month so far & that is on only 15 trades!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Guy I used to work with put an empty box (for an Nintendo game IIRC) on ebay. described as such (“add value to your game if decide to sell it” I think he said). Made £10. Buyer not at all happy when they realisd their mistake.

meehaja
    Free Member

I bought a bike whilst drunk without realising it was a 13inch frame (I wanted something smaller than my 20inch GT!).

I also won a patriot, but the guy decided not to sell it once I’d won as he didn’t like the santa cruz he’d bought with the money (paid by paypal). He was good enough to offer a refund once he’d sold the santa cruz!

Garry_Lager

I bought a book recently from a big volume seller and they sent me a different edition. I complained and got some bollox about how they just use stock photos downloaded using the ISBN # as obviously they’re not going to photograph each book. This is no doubt true, but there has to be a way of distinguishing different editions, otherwise item is plainly not as described.

Anyhow, there was £3.99 on the line here so I left them neutral feedback. They then asked me to consider removing it, which on reflection I did as they asked nicely and it was a good book.

I guess that’s the extent of my bad experiences with ebay.

veedubba

Selling – guitar effects pedals. I had one guy say he didn’t like the sound of a compressor and proceeded to tell me he was a pro; needed it for a series of gigs; and that he ran a studio so knew what it should sound like. I would question why he was buying something crucial to his livelihood days in advance of the gigs, and from Ebay. I suggested he get it checked by an electrical engineer for damage (and that I’d pay for the inspection if it was faulty, as well as refund him). He didn’t reply.

I had another complain that a vintage 80s pedal was scuffed and didn’t work properly, despite having mentioned in the ad that it was in well-used condition and I didn’t like the sound (I had no basis for comparison with other similar pedals but everything worked on it). I offered him a partial refund which was disputed but we came to an agreement on it. I’ll never sell something that can be so subjective on eBay again.

Buying – aquarium. I won the auction and was contacted 3 times by the seller in a 3 hour period to collect the item that night because she was moving house. In that time she’d lodged a dispute that I was unresponsive and had sold it to someone else! I countered the dispute and left her negative feedback. Currently into my second seek of waiting for a car stereo I bought from a chap in Somerset who’s not responded to me for over a week.

It’s not too bad for over 10 years’ activity on there though.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I won a car on ebay 130k, Vreg, Passat Estate, advertised with “No Reserve!”
    The following day after I’d won and had paid £10 for one of those car check things he emailed me and said “sorry it didn’t go for as much as I thought so I’m not selling it to you” that’s what a reserve is for Idiot!

left -ve feedback and complained to ebay, they said there’s nothing they could do, errrr how about deleting his account.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i had some ring peice tell me a new Fox shock was ****?! 😯 kept calling me “Squire” too.

also, a pair of forks that went for only just over £100, buyer tells me they are sratched to hell but wouldn’t take more photo’s to send and back up his side. eventualy went quiet (He’s on here as his Ebay name is the same as his STW name)

Legoman
    Free Member

Sold a bike to a yoof recently (buy-it-now deal). He turns up & seems to think he has the option to decide whether or not to buy it. Eventually he decides to take it and offers me £5 less than the buy-it-now price!
    NO, YOU TOOL – THAT’S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

arthurcrabstick
    Free Member

Having recently sold an old road bike. The buyer complained that it wasnt as described. I confirmed that it was, though still offered to give a refund if he pays return courier charge to me. He then complained to Ebay that I was impolite to him and he wishes to have £39 reduced from price.

Ebay have now ruled he needs to return the bike with him paying courier fee. Though I have now seen from his selling items that he is auctioning the rear brake, road wheels and tyres from the bike. So if the bike dosnt turn up to me in 10 days time now it goes completely in my favour…..What a tool.

If you are my buyer reading this- May you burn in hell………

turboferret

Bought a Mk3 Golf TDi, took the train up to the midlands to collect, engine breathed its last on the journey back to Surrey 😥

Sold a non-working trail bike with a snapped con-rod as spares or repairs, saying that the engine had not been taken apart or inspected, but rod was snapped. Buyer got upset that apparently it was seized too.

Overall pretty good experience with eBay over the years.

Cheers, Rich

globalti
    Free Member

Sold a PSP just before Christmas but the winner didn’t pay and in the end claimed her bank card had been hacked. Irritating because Christmas has passed now. Apart from that, muppets who don’t leave feedback are irritating.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Just bought a Wii. Advertised as brand new unwanted present, only taken out of box to photograph. Took it out the box and it was clearly grubby round all the buttons and ont top/sides from use and the receipt said bought June 2010. Thank god for paypal – oh except my wife collected without checking and paid cash.

Drove 75miles to collect solid oak cabinet. 5 minutes after arriving I left having advised owners it was veneer chipboard. Not first time this thing has happened, you can tell honest (but very very annoying) mistake by the rabbit in headlights look when you tell them. When people are ‘sang froid’ you know they are lying b*******s.

That said i have bought everything from camelbak bite valve to motorhome on ebay. It is truly amazing what you can get on it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I sold a 3 seater sofa, the buyer came to collect it with a VW Polo.
    I then drove it (a 40m round trip) to their home in a rainstorm and it only just went in my volvo estate. That said they were a lovely couple and gave me some tea towels that they make as a thank you, I didn’t mind at all 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Playstation3 launch day, I was in the trade and got one cheap. Put it on eBay for sale – UK only.

5 minutes later sold.
    6 minutes later man in Nigeria pays with paypal. (UK only auction)
    7 minutes later man emails to say he overpaid and I needed to send him a refund via Western Union.
    8 minutes later man produces a dodgy email of his overpayment, except he had left ‘Panasonic canera’ in the item description.

Didn’t get resolved till 2 weeks later, he had actually paid some money via paypal. By the time I got the PS3 back on eBay the hype was over and they were selling for less than shop price. Gutted.

curvature
    Free Member

You lot seem rather lucky.

I sold a bike with no pedals or saddle and the buyer says that he wants a saddle and pedals.

I gave him some options and he also asked about disc brakes that were not in the picture or included with the sale.

Anyway he keeps saying that he needs the pedals and saddle to ride the bike and I say fine but they will cost you x amount of £’s.

In the end I said sod off i’m not selling the bike to you as you are annoying me.

I was then subjected to over 20 emails in less than 24 hours calling me a ‘b*llend, b*tch’ and worse!

The best was a faggot I think!

I reported him to ebay and they suspended his account for a week. One week later he starts again!

Real nutter and in the end Ebay closed his account.

There was also some Scottish nutter on here too but understand he has learning dificulties so I won’t mention his name!! 😀

dewydd
    Free Member

While in Blackpool with my 9 year old lad last year I made an impulse bid on a bike for him which was located in Huddersfield. Figured it was about a three hour round trip so contacted the seller immediately in the hope I could collect it that night. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to meet until the day I was due to head home (which was a 5 hour drive in the opposite direction).
    Time and place agreed, I set off with cash in hand and duly arrived at midday as agreed. After knocking several times a young lad, who I had obviously just woken up, answered the door to inform me that the seller no longer lived there. Not a problem I said, I’ll just take the bike and leave the cash for him to collect. 10 minutes of searching then ensued, only to be told that another of the flatmates must have “borrowed” the bike to get to uni but he might be back in a couple of hours. 😥

Needless to say the form on the drive home wasn’t good (and was only made worse by a poor decision to carry on through Leeds and up the M1 rather than back the way I came). What should have been straight forward 5 hour journey home ended up nearly double that.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ebay….Bad buys and sellers ! Whats your story ?’ is closed to new replies.