Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ebay Woes – Package Not Signed By Me But Not Delivered
  • veedubba

So, I bought something off eBay, it was sent Citylink (via MPD) and was apparently signed for when both my wife and I were at work (by someone that doesn’t have the same name as me). No card was left.

The seller seems to think it’s my problem as it’s been signed for, and eBay have closed a case I raised in the seller’s favour because of this signature.

I can prove I wasn’t there, and my neighbours have said they don’t have it. The seller thinks I’ve nicked it.

I’m now out of pocket and because I didn’t arrange the courier I doubt I’ll be able to raise a case with them, and the seller’s unlikely to bother.

Can I raise another dispute via Paypal? If not, what’s my next step, or do I just suck up the loss, which is less than £100 but still more than I want to lose, considering I’m left without the item I bought.

🙁

jonba
    Free Member

Item not delviered. It is for the seller and City link to find out where it is. They need to find out who signed for it and what address. If it is not even your name then they are on to a loser.

I’d raise a dispute as item not delivered if the seller is uncooperative but give them a chance to sort it out if they are trying.

veedubba

I spent a week trying to sort it with the seller, and most of that was me waiting to get hold of one neighbour who I couldn’t catch.

Once I did that, the seller then said that the proof of delivery was his evidence that I had the item, so I raised a case. Ebay found in his favour this morning, citing the signature.

My suspicion is that the item was signed by the driver and left in front of my house, which is in full view of the road, so anyone could have had it. Don’t know why there was no card left though, if this was the case (perhaps because he/ she shouldn’t have done it?).

Anyway, I can’t raise another ebay case, so can I go through Paypal instead?

scotroutes

I used Paypal last night (first time for a while) and I see they now debit your account after delivery. Based on that, I’d think you have a case?

letmetalktomark

I thought the “automatic close” of the dispute due to the signature was fairly automated at eBays end.

May be worth trying to speak to someone there?

The only occasion I’ve had to resort to a phonecall resulted in the case being closed within 24hrs in my favour (buyer).

May be worth a shot.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Small Claims Court? Credit card company?

veedubba

Paypal won’t let me raise a case because of the one already in eBay.

I’ve appealed the case, mainly based on the fact that the seller won’t bother chasing it if there’s no comeback for him.

Small claims would be a last resort but possible. Didn’t use CC.

I’ll dig out the eBay number too.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Contact CityLink and ask for Proof of Delivery. They might not let you have it as the seller is their customer, not you, but if you do this by email, you can then forward their reply on to the seller asking him to take it up. Hopefully he will. Tell him you’re taking the matter up with the police – with no PoD, he can expect a visit form the cops, which might motivate him to get his finger out. let ebay, paypal and the courier know you’re doing this as well

BTW – I had a delivery recently, no card and the item was left at a nearby shop. i found this out by calling the courier, which may have been CityLink

zilog6128

I used Paypal last night (first time for a while) and I see they now debit your account after delivery.

AFIAK only if the funding is coming direct from your bank account. If it’s PayPal balance (and CC I think) the money still gets taken immediately.

OP, if you haven’t contacted City Link already I would try that first. Do you know the name of the person who signed? You could find out if it was the driver. FWIW I’ve found City Link pretty helpful in the past when I’ve phoned them.

tonyd

I had something similar recently but as the seller on eBay. Guy bought a bike box from me, so a few hundred pounds worth. I shipped using Parcelforce, tracked etc. Parcel was delivered and signed for, I could see the digital signature online and it looked nothing like the name I’d shipped to.

Anyway, contacted the buyer and asked for confirmation he’d received it, he said no he hadn’t. He checked with neighbours, nothing. No card anywhere. Alarm bells started ringing and my default reaction (unfortunately) was that he was trying it on. I chased it up with Parcelforce anyway, spoke to the local depot manager at the buyers end who said he’d get back to me. A couple of hours later email from buyer saying it had arrived, and a call from the parcelforce manager to say the driver had delivered it to the wrong address so he went back and collected it then redelivered to the correct address.

Being the cynic I am I think that the driver tried to nick it (maybe thinking there was a bike in the bike box), got caught, and had to return it. Either way, the end result was a good one.

My point is that the seller might think as I did, that you’re trying it on. Ask him to chase up the courier.

pondo

Check it out with the courier, I think it’s their reponsibility once it’s left the seller isn’t it? Not sure it was the right thing to raise a dispute against the seller – not their fault as long as it went out correctly addressed but the courier delivered it elsewhere.

edlong
    Free Member

I’m not sure that all those suggesting that you get on to the courier about it aren’t barking up the wrong tree – it’s the sender who has the contract and relationship with the courier and I doubt they’ll provide you, the recipient, with anything at all or even talk to you about it.

Your contractual relationship is with the seller and if they won’t play ball and eBay / PayPal won’t help, I would suggest small claims court is the about the only route left.

tonyd

Agreed, I don’t think the courier will talk to you. You need the seller on side IMO to chase the courier and try to find out what’s happened.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can the seller not send you the tracking info, so at least you have the Citylink references etc so you can chase it up direct?

veedubba

Well, here’s a kick-in-the-teeth update:

I can’t reopen the eBay case, due to the signature being there, and having contacted MPD who were helpful, the claim window (of 7 days) is now closed, plus it would’ve had to be the seller who raised the case. So even before I raised the eBay case I wouldn’t have been able to claim because I gave the seller time to fob me off.

So, small claims now or what?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Just get on to the couriers. The seller can’t do anything other than chase them up. The courier should not have delivered it to the wrong person so should be the one to put it right.

wwaswas

Just get on to the couriers.

contract is between couriers and seller.

as a buyer they don’t have to even talk to you.

I’d send the seller a registered post item saying that you will be taking action for non delivery in small claims if resolution is not reached by a certain date.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve heard a similar story to the OP – my wife’s friend had a package delivered to their house – and “signed for” by (according to the driver) “A young blonde girl”. Nobody was in the house (both people at work), and their kids were at school. Neither neighbour knew anybody who fitted the description either.

Apparently CityLink did an internal investigation, but sided with the driver.

The police got involved, not sure of the outcome though.

boblo
    Free Member

My postie delivered yesterday….and signed for my stuff before leaving it on the step….

robfury
    Free Member

Get tracking number from seller and contact city link. From there intermec scanners they use if they have a signature they also have GPS coordinates when it was signed so they should be able to find out it delievered to wrong address

kcal

Didn’t know it had GPS attached. Doesn’t stop neighbours signing, or indeed driver. Maybe some photo as well of who is actually doing the signing, in front of the building??

johnellison
    Free Member

My postie delivered yesterday….and signed for my stuff before leaving it on the step….

Which is illegal, if it was Royal Mail. Complain.

robfury
    Free Member

Could be illegal or could of been an nsr parcel. No signature required by sender. Then drivers in the right

razorrazoo

Some of these courier companies (City Link in particular in my experience) are a complete joke.

CL guy that delivers round here puts packages on the doorstep, knocks (assuming someone will come to the door, see the package and take it inside) and then drives off, no signature, delivery slips etc.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Veedubba mate , I was stitched in exactly the same way by city link . I paid £193 for a gopro 3 silver ed . Couple of days later it was signed for while I was in work and the missus was out shopping with the kids . Anyway after about 3 months now p4d ( I think they’re the insurance side of shitty link ) have contacted me offering a cheque for £60.74 because they realise there “may” have been a mishap in the delivery process and this is the most they can pay out because the sender didn’t insure the package . I then took it up with eBay and the seller said he offered me the option of insurance and I refused ,which is absolute bollocks . EBay have now closed the case in favour of the seller . To be fair it is citylinks fault to start off with but they then said if the seller had insured it they would pay out the full replacement value . I’m now £133 out of pocket . Good eh !

edlong
    Free Member

crapjumper – small claims court against the seller if you can be bothered.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Edling I’ve got to a point where I’ve given up now but the irony is I’ve bought things from the interweb for donkeys years ( eBay , Amazon etc) and this was the first parcel that I can ever recall being delivered by citylink. Typical

kcal

Had a load of biggish value parcels delivered or at least originated by CityLink and not had an issue with them. Last leg is usually with local couriers.

veedubba

I spoke to eBay last night and they were pretty rubbish. Won’t reopen the case and won’t allow me to leave feedback saying how terrible the seller has been in all this.

Small claims seems to be my only option, and that’s £25 to initiate, so is half the amount of what I want to claim back. I’d get it back if I won but it’s just hassle.

Seems that eBay only care that there was a signature, not if it relates to the buyer or their household in any way.

It’s very aggravating!

dmorts

Have you yourself contacted CityLink? I think you should

wwaswas

You can’t do small claims for £50 🙁

johnellison
    Free Member

Could be illegal or could of been an nsr parcel. No signature required by sender. Then drivers in the right

Read the post again that I was commenting on – it said that the postman signed for the package and left it on the doorstep. If it didn’t require a signature, why sign for it? And since when did the sender have to sign for it?

I’ve had this happen myself – it is illegal for the postman to do this, because until the mail is delivered to the addressee, it is Crown Property. Essentially, the postie is defrauding the Queen!

robfury
    Free Member

The sender can request that no signature is required! Then the driver has to enter a code and nsr instead of signing. So get your facts right. I know because I work for royalmail!

John nellison

njee20
    Free Member

Our old postie used to sign for things if they fitted through the letterbox, ie he’d not leave them outside, was very handy!

-m-
    Free Member

I’ve had exactly this experience; a replacement item sent by a trade seller on ebay (original was faulty) was signed for as delivered, but not by anyone at the delivery address. Seller almost immediately alleged it was an attempt to scam them and my ebay claim was rejected because the delivery was signed for. At that time ebay said they would only look further if the value was >£150. I got the delivery signature from the courier company, but the seller made no attempt to pursue a claim against them.

I took the seller to small claims. He disputed the claim but didn’t show at court to present his defence, so just his written response to the court papers was considered. Court judged that there were sufficient grounds to uphold my claim that I hadn’t received the item. I was awarded the original purchase amount, court costs and travel expenses for a day out in court. That was for an item costing £120 – total cost to the seller was >£200. I had a cheque for the full amount within 7 days.

It was fairly painless and going through the SCC process was actually quite interesting…

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve claimed via small claims before though not for lost items. A few years ago, a high street developers ‘boiled’ my slides from a trip to the Alps. They tried the compo to the value of materials trick which I rejected. I got Fuji to write an experts report and the Defendant paid my claim (inc expenses etc ~£600) on the doorstep of the Court.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take the seller to Small Claims it’s very, very straightforward. Your claim is not for £50, you need to add your time, buggeration etc and make it several £100’s. Sod em.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Woes – Package Not Signed By Me But Not Delivered’ is closed to new replies.