Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • eBay woes, buyer being a nasty piece of work
  • sazter

I sold my frame on eBay to someone who asked me to keep it for a week till he got paid. I was sceptical and didn’t want to but I gave in and took a £50 deposit through PayPal and bumped up the price. Then when he got paid I dropped it back down to £50 less than the original price. He then wanted to pay outside eBay and I refused. Then he decided it was suddenly too small for him and wanted to cancel. So I cancelled and relisted. He demanded his deposit that I never wanted to take, and sent numerous requests though pp for £50 and £30, I deleted them all, no way am I paying that then he reverses the original payment too.

He then went on a fb page and was bad mouthing me, my friends saw and screenshot most of it, in the end he was shot down by most who said it was all his own fault. The thread has since been deleted. I’m fairly sure pp will side with him and give him a refund, but since this I have decided he can sweat it out and learn a lesson from his stupidity.

Today he bid on and won another item so I cancelled that and sold it to the next highest bidder. He has now been able to leave 2 negative feedback despite never paying for any item from me. eBay are doing nothing. I have managed to block him from future bidding on my items but I don’t know if he will just create a new account to continue this stupidity. He has followed me so that he can see when I post anything for sale. It’s all a bit childish I know I’m not blameless, I should not have been peer pressured into taking a deposit and I should maybe have refunded it, but I feel like he’s a bully and it’s made me angry.

Anyone had similar experiences and how did it resolve? I’m fine with pp refunding his £50 but he will have to request it the proper way. Am I just being too stubborn?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

All the other stuff aside, this is a simple non-paying buyer issue.

Leave a non-payment strike on his account and relist. That’s all you can do. You are not entitled to keep any informally-arranged “deposit” and you should repay him.

I don’t know what “request it in the proper way” means. Just go into Paypal and reverse the payment.

Edit: eBay is full of massive knobbers. You have my sympathies.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I sold my frame on eBay to someone who asked me to keep it for a week till he got paid. I was sceptical and didn’t want to but I gave in and took a £50 deposit through PayPal and bumped up the price. Then when he got paid I dropped it back down to £50 less than the original price.

You’ve lost me here…

Junkyard
    Free Member

did you say the deposit was non refundable?

if you did then their problem
    Otherwise better to just give them it back and avoid all this as life is too short to go to war with a complete nobber

Make a new account on e-bay no one cares. I lost mine in the hack and had no issues buying or selling despite low scores

jamj1974

He’s an idiot. You should have just relisted and refunded him.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

did you say the deposit was non refundable?

if you did then their problem

I’m no scholar of law, but if tested in court, I’d doubt whether any such agreement would be enforceable.

better to just give them it back and avoid all this as life is too short to go to war with a complete nobber

100% this

Make a new account on e-bay no one cares. I lost mine in the hack and had no issues buying or selling despite low scores

And this

Cougar

He wants you to pay him £50, then he can reverse the original payment for another £50?

sazter

Yes I know, I’ve taken it too personally, it got my back up when he said I was a junkie on fb and had spent it on drugs.

Yes cougar that’s what I think he’s trying to do, at no point has he asked to refund that via PayPal he just keeps sending requests for money as separate transactions. I realise I’m being a bit silly and should refund him, but I really want him to sweat it out, which makes me as bad as him. I’m an idiot! 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

he said I was a junkie on fb and had spent it on drugs.

LOL and did you spend it on drugs?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There’s worse things to spend £50 on.

Also, how do they know your Facebook info?

sazter

Lol no drugs!

They dont know my fb info, he was slagging me off by name and my mates saw it. Funny enough he knows I’m calked Sarah but keeps referring to me as him on eBay.

jekkyl

buy some drugs and send him a pic of you blowing smoke rings.

sazter

Oops double post

That’ll be all the drugs!

andyl
    Free Member

cant you just refund the payment from your end and be done with it? Maybe that is what he is asking you to do.

Cougar

The thing with people like this is, you can’t win by engaging with them. They want attention, so as soon as you give them that they’ve already won.

Give him his Paypal refund through the normal channels, then ignore him. He’ll be a pain in the proverbial for a short while, then once he realises that you don’t care he’ll move on to his next target.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

The thing with people like this is, you can’t win by engaging with them. They want attention, so as soon as you give them that they’ve already won.

Give him his Paypal refund through the normal channels, then ignore him. He’ll be a pain in the proverbial for a short while, then once he realises that you don’t care he’ll move on to his next target.

This is excellent advice…

Or you could make him watch while you slaughter his whole family.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

This is excellent advice…

Or you could make him watch while you slaughter his whole family.

That seems a bit much.

The advice wasn’t that good.

bigblackshed

One of the few lessons I have learned in life: “Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience”.

Just refund him through eBay / PayPal, report him as a non payer, and be done with it. Move on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hate ebay, or rather the bellends that do such things, I have a bike finishing on there soon, already thinking what shit awaits…

nickc

refund his money, ignore and move on

some people are idiots, ebay seems to attract them

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You’ll have his address but he won’t have yours, right? Poo in a box, sprinkle some tasty chocs on top and post.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

You might be able to get the -ve feedback revoked if you contact eBay.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s a bit odd you think you have the moral high ground while holding on to his money.

Send it back, and no doubt his attitude will improve. If you had done that at the start you wouldn’t have any -ve feedback.

There’s lots of nobs on eBay; only by making sure you are not one of them can you rise above them.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I know I’m not blameless, I should not have been peer pressured into taking a deposit and I should maybe have refunded it

No you shouldn’t have – a deposit is a sign of good faith that you intend to proceed with the transaction. If you don’t want to lose the deposit, complete the transaction or don’t leave the deposit.
    If you have a copy of the screenshot where he said you spent the money on drugs, you might want to see if you have grounds to sue him for libel. If you do, let him know if you ever hear from him again, that’s what you’ll do.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you have a copy of the screenshot where he said you spent the money on drugs, you might want to see if you have grounds to sue him for libel

Might be easier to just refund the £50!

STATO
    Free Member

No you shouldn’t have – a deposit is a sign of good faith that you intend to proceed with the transaction. If you don’t want to lose the deposit, complete the transaction or don’t leave the deposit.

That would be true if paypal had a deposit policy. It doesn’t, therefore the OP shouldn’t have accepted it instead of now complaining the rules he ignored are not protecting him.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not used ebay in years, sold something this week, and the questions I got were ridiculous.

How much will you accept to end it now
    Can I have £5 off if I collect
    Can I have £5 off if I pay cash.

One women got abusive when I said I would not end it now, and that’s why I had put it as an auction. 🙄

Another blamed me for now having to go and buy one in Halford’s !

Stick to the rules and nothing more. Payment in full or see ya.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

One women got abusive when I said I would not end it now, and that’s why I had put it as an auction.

Another blamed me for now having to go and buy one in Halford’s !

I just ignore the stupid questions.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    I’ve not used ebay in years, sold something this week, and the questions I got were ridiculous.

How much will you accept to end it now

Can you explain why you think that’s a ridiculous question? There’s a buyer who doesn’t want to wait for an auction (I don’t blame him, they’re a pain), probably willing to pay a good price and is happy to do a deal person to person. You could get a better net price if you go down this route, and the moral comfort knowing you’ve not chipped in to the ebay board member christmas party cash-spunk.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Can you explain why you think that’s a ridiculous question?

there’s a big fat “buy it now” button if that is an option… except there wasn’t, it was listed as an auction only or the bidding had started

its all in them terms and conditions and whatnot

There’s a buyer who doesn’t want to wait for an auction (I don’t blame him, they’re a pain),

are they?

maybe ignore the auctions, then, and just look at the “buy it now” stuff?

probably willing to pay a good price

they never are.

have you sold much on ebay?

and is happy to do a deal person to person. try and lowball you

fixed

You could get a better net price if you go down this route,

you really won’t

and the moral comfort

aha.
    ahaha.
    ahahahaha!
    aaaaahhahahahaha….

knowing you’ve not chipped in to the ebay board member christmas party cash-spunk

say what?

ebay auction routinely gets better sale prices, why else would sellers put up with it?

aracer
    Free Member

+1 to all that – the only people I’ve had wanting to end it now were trying to get it cheap and offering about half what the item eventually went for. Not that I find using ebay a particularly irksome process – I just ignore the stupid questions – and also as mentioned you tend to do quite well on sale prices (on average, if you sell enough you learn to be happy with somebody getting a bargain when you get one bid for 99p, as the people overpaying more than make up for that). The amount you gain in sale price is way more than the fees – the only irritating thing is having to pay ebay and paypal fees on the postage, but then you just build the margin in to your quote for that.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member
    Can you explain why you think that’s a ridiculous question?
    there’s a big fat “buy it now” button if that is an option… except there wasn’t, it was listed as an auction only or the bidding had started

its all in them terms and conditions and whatnot

There’s a buyer who doesn’t want to wait for an auction (I don’t blame him, they’re a pain),
    are they?

maybe ignore the auctions, then, and just look at the “buy it now” stuff?

probably willing to pay a good price
    they never are.

have you sold much on ebay?

and is happy to do a deal person to person. try and lowball you
    fixed

You could get a better net price if you go down this route,
    you really won’t

and the moral comfort
    aha.
    ahaha.
    ahahahaha!
    aaaaahhahahahaha….

knowing you’ve not chipped in to the ebay board member christmas party cash-spunk
    say what?

ebay auction routinely gets better sale prices, why else would sellers put up with it?

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

That made me smile, thanks 🙂

Maybe you’re just no good at negotiation. My ebay rating is only 607, not sure if that’s a lot or not. Most of what I’ve bought and sold in the last year or two has been after messaging, swapping phone numbers and selling via paypal/email instead. It works very well, that’s a fact based on my experiences. If you haven’t tried it you should.

Better sale prices include the 10% ebay fee of course. I’d rather sell something at 90% and keep ebay’s cut in the buyer’s pocket.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Most of what I’ve bought and sold in the last year or two has been after messaging, swapping phone numbers and selling via paypal/email instead

wait a minute… do you buy at prices over the auction finish cost, rather than waiting for a lower auction finish price? or do you buy at lower prices than you think the auction will end at?

and this as well as selling at prices higher than an auction will get?

and you’re sidestepping the T&C of ebay by going via messaging… neatly abusing their service for the free advertising you get?

and that gets you moral comfort?

I’d rather sell something at 90% and keep ebay’s cut in the buyer’s pocket.

hang on, so you don’t get higher prices by selling outside auction?

I R thoroughly confused.

ElShalimo

Photocopy some £10 notes, then post a video of you burning them on FB, mention their name too.
    8)

skids
    Free Member

your gonna have to batter him

Dark-Side

Maybe you’re just no good at negotiation. My ebay rating is only 607, not sure if that’s a lot or not. Most of what I’ve bought and sold in the last year or two has been after messaging, swapping phone numbers and selling via paypal/email instead. It works very well, that’s a fact based on my experiences. If you haven’t tried it you should.

Better sale prices include the 10% ebay fee of course. I’d rather sell something at 90% and keep ebay’s cut in the buyer’s pocket.

So you are happy to use eBay’s platform to promote your goods, but you don’t want to pay them what they are owed when you find a buyer they connected you with? Thats just a shitty thing to do, regardless of the size of eBay.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

So come on, OP. Did you give him his money back or what?

Daffy

PayPal do have a deposit policy. To summarise, it states that they don’t cover deposits under Buyer Protection.

Daffy

Just to backup Glasgowdan. I’ve also approached sellers with active auctions with a price I’m willing to pay. It’s usually a price based upon a number of things, but is usually equitable for both parties. In such circumstances where a deal is reached, I usually ask for them to change the auction to a BIN, but will proceed outside of asked.

It’s not about being cheap, sly or underhand, just impatient. Usually people who’re selling things have an idea of its worth and a figure in mind that they’d like to sell go when listing it. I’d rather get close to that figure and risk overpaying than take a chance on an auction, if it’s something I’m looking for.

sazter

I got my confirmation from eBay that I was not being charged the £50 fees for selling it to him and they removed his -ve feedback so yes, I refunded him.

Initially I was thinking he was trying to scam me for my money and frame so I was angry but I now just think he’s an idiot who didn’t read the advert.

Anyway, karma has been restored. 🙂 Now to sell my frame to someone who might actually buy it! 🙂

Cheers all, entertaining thread! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘eBay woes, buyer being a nasty piece of work’ is closed to new replies.