Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ebay winner hasn't paid – how long do I give him?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Sold a bike on Ebay at 8.10 last night, sent an invoice but the bidder hasn’t paid. TBH he looks a bit dodgy and is in Laaandon and I know the next bidder was just down the road, meaning I could deliver with no need to mess around with couriers. How long do I give the winner before offering to the next bidder?

wwaswas

longer than 15 hours.

Dickyboy

personally I’d wait a week

Drac

Personally I’d not be worried if it just last night they’d won.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would expect at least a response within 24 hours on a larger item like a bike.

binners

I’d give it 24 hours, then….

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Check your ebay settings & amend if needed, but the soonest you can open an unpaid item case with ebay is 4 days. It could be as much as 30 days – check your settings!!
    If you don’t open a case, you will be liable for the ebay fees regardless of fact buyer hasn’t paid. Don’t forget to close the case too, unless you have ebay’s automated process in place.
    I am in similar situation – sold something Sunday evening on ebay, not a bike or bike related, but still £100 sale…absolutely nothing from buyer so far. I did send the ebay invoice immediately & item was auction, with winning buyer placing bid with just minutes to go.

Legoman
    Free Member

As a regular ebay user, I’ll pay for an item immediately if the seller requests that in his listing, otherwise I’ll do it when it’s convenient to me, usually within a couple of days.

If you want payment within a set time, you need to sepcify it in the listing.

paladin

I think soonest you can open a case is 4 days, then close it after a further 4 days if not paid. If he’s changed his mind you could do a mutual cancellation any time, but He would have to agree in order for you to get your fees back

tonyd

Give it a couple of days at least.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Maybe he/she is moving money into bank account to cover said purchase. A couple of days isn’t unheard of. Sometimes sending invoice again after a couple of days helps focus the mind.

Don’t be assuming the second bidder will suddenly stump up for the bike – especially after only a day, as they might think its shill bidding and you’ve had a mate bidding the prices up.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m forgetful on small items, but for a big item like a bike I tend to be paying attention. Even if I needed to move money between accounts before I could pay, a message to say so makes everybody happier.

I often hold back sending an invoice for 24 hours, as it can be used as a gentle reminder.

paladin

If he’s collecting it, your safer with cash on collection

warton
    Free Member

sounds to me like you don’t want to sell it to him, as it’s tom much hassle, so are looking for an easy way out, so you can sell it to the local buyer.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Thread reported as this is clearly watsontony on a new login.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I sold a bike on ebay last month. Didnt hear anything from the buyer ie any emails, phone calls etc (which I think is only courteous)

The following day I had to ring him (his mobile was on the invoice I created) He then didnt comit to pay or arrange a time to pick up.

Gave him a few more hours, and sent him an email explaining I was going to open a case against him for poor comms. Again nothing from him until I openened the dispute. The he finally got his act together.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ebay winner hasn't paid – how long do I give him?’ is closed to new replies.